Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 31st Southeast gathering - after 11AM

LithiaWx

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As luck would have it, the Final Four starts on Saturday, March 31st, with two games. I'll have the Hi Def set up so we can watch both games if you like. I'll have enough food to carry us through the evening for the second game. We just need to make sure we have enough beer.... If you're planning to spend the night in a nearby hotel, I'll make sure ya'll won't have any trouble finding them in the dark. The championship game will be on Monday night, so that won't present a problem.

Looks like we'll have about 40 people, but it could be more. That makes a great group! Again, if anyone wants to crash here at the house, I have lots of floor room, and some inflatable mattresses. Ya'll can flip for the extra bedroom. I just want to make sure that everyone enjoys themselves and stays safe. I'll have lots of good coffee available.....

If there's anyone out there who hasn't decided whether or not to come, you can still make the decision and join with us.

I made this photo last night just after sunset from a spot about a mile north of the house. That's Tryon Mountain on the NC/SC border in the distance.

post-1004-0-86767000-1332102238.jpg

Hey Fellow Revelers.....

Just returned from five days in The Big Easy. Great town! If you haven't been lately, I strongly recommend a visit. I only missed the Final Four by six days..... You should have seen the people walking on the roof of the Superdome, painting the Mercedes-Benz name and logo. They have bought the naming rights for the dome.

Lots of rain there on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday... power went out in the French Quarter Thursday night. That was a scary thing, with hundreds of people walking the dark streets. Cops everywhere with blue lights flashing. Very surrealistic.

Remember to bring something to sit in or on. I have limited seating capacity. Bring beer... I'll have loads of ice and many coolers to place upstairs, downstairs, and on the deck. Convenience when drinking is an important thing. If there's anything that you absolutely LOVE to eat, bring it. I'll have a big variety, but there's always room for sharing something special that you like.

If anyone has a large capacity coffee maker, bring it. Otherwise, we'll do the standard eight cups at a time, for those who like coffee, especially if you're spending the night. I'll have lots of eggs for Sunday morning ommelettes, if you like that sort of thing. There's a Waffle House on I-40, twenty minutes away.

If you get a chance to see "Hunger Games" before you come up here, it was made all through these Mountains, especially at Black Mountain, just 16 miles from here. Don't worry, you won't need to compete to eat.

Haven't heard whether or not Robert will be joining us. I have a sneaky feeling he will. He only lives 45 minutes away. How about it, Robert?

Check out Venus, Jupiter, and the Moon tonight. Pretty cool...

I'll think of more stuff, and will write to you through e-mail. Oh yeah... I'm making cards with giant snow flakes that I'll put out on Bill's Creek Road, and on the gravel road leading to the parking and the house. Seems appropriate for this group of snow weenies..... It was 43 this morning... felt pretty good. Must have rained real hard while I was in N.O. Looks like almost three inches in the gauge.

Carpool if you can, and save some bucks.... Looking forward.... Mountain Marvel

Here's the hill you'll drive over on the way to the house. The lake is just off to the right of the fence. ALso, I threw in a house from the French Quarter......

post-1004-0-44150500-1332809493.jpg

post-1004-0-31115100-1332809526.jpg

Must say I am looking forward to this weekend's gathering. It will be cool to see a face to go along with our user names.

I will be very busy Friday night and during the early part of the day on Saturday getting game stories of our local high school baseball and softball teams...for those who didn't know I work for the local newspaper here in McDowell County.

Anyway, not sure how long I will be able to stay but I will make an appearance.

I think its extremely cool that Mountain Marvel took the lead to host this event, it more or less being held IMBY. and FWIW, please take his advise of cell phones and car pooling, you will be heading deep into the boonies, don't get lost...lol.

Must say I am looking forward to this weekend's gathering. It will be cool to see a face to go along with our user names.

I will be very busy Friday night and during the early part of the day on Saturday getting game stories of our local high school baseball and softball teams...for those who didn't know I work for the local newspaper here in McDowell County.

Anyway, not sure how long I will be able to stay but I will make an appearance.

I think its extremely cool that Mountain Marvel took the lead to host this event, it more or less being held IMBY. and FWIW, please take his advise of cell phones and car pooling, you will be heading deep into the boonies, don't get lost...lol.

I'd hate to fall off of the escarpment.

I'm bringing a cake (Half sheet size), so we should have enough cake for everyone. Still trying to get ahold of a large coffee maker, unless someone already has access to one.

I would bring one if I could find one because coffee is my drink of choice.

It looks like I will not be able to attend Saturday :cry: I got a phone call late last night informing me that I am needed at Pawleys Island Sat/Sun and there is nobody to replace me. So duty calls and my heart is broken as I was sooooo looking forward to meeting everyone. :( MM.....thank you for everything and I know everyone will have a fantastic time. ^_^ I hope that someone will take plenty of pictures so that when I return Sunday I can see everything I missed :(

It looks like I will not be able to attend Saturday :cry: I got a phone call late last night informing me that I am needed at Pawleys Island Sat/Sun and there is nobody to replace me. So duty calls and my heart is broken as I was sooooo looking forward to meeting everyone. :( MM.....thank you for everything and I know everyone will have a fantastic time. ^_^ I hope that someone will take plenty of pictures so that when I return Sunday I can see everything I missed :(

L-A-M-E

Damn... :( next time then...

It looks like I will not be able to attend Saturday :cry:   I got a phone call late last night informing me that I am needed at Pawleys Island Sat/Sun and there is nobody to replace me. So duty calls and my heart is broken as I was sooooo looking forward to meeting everyone. :(   MM.....thank you for everything and I know everyone will have a fantastic time. ^_^   I hope that someone will take plenty of pictures so that when I return Sunday I can see everything I missed :(

What? I'm bummed!!!

boo.... Sad Panda.

Damn... :( next time then...

It really sucks :cry: They put me on standby on Monday(knowing I already had previous plans) and really tried to get another person from the Upstate to go, but couldn't swing it. Sooooo...duty calls :( I'm gonna really miss being there.....sigh

What? I'm bummed!!!

I'm bummed too :( Words can't describe how bummed I am about this :(

It really sucks :cry: They put me on standby on Monday(knowing I already had previous plans) and really tried to get another person from the Upstate to go, but couldn't swing it. Sooooo...duty calls :( I'm gonna really miss being there.....sigh

I'm bummed too :( Words can't describe how bummed I am about this :(

you need to talk sternly to someone and let them know that putting you on stand-by was unacceptable and that they need to find someone else because you let them know ahead time you had plans and you won't be round...you shouldn't have to pay for their stupidity!

It's really a bummer that a number of people have cancelled. We'll have a smaller group, but a quality one. I was so looking forward to meeting all you guys. I guess there's never a good time to have these things. You just kinda have to roll the dice, and hope fore the best. The dogwood and redbud are cooperating. Check out my blog... Everyone PLEASE drive carefully, and get ready to party hardy. If there's anyone out there who still wants to come, and needs directions, send me a PM so I can get back to you in time. I hate to leave people out. I never heard back from Revdodd, CAD Addict, Brick Tamland, MET1985, Magpiemaniac, Dixieblizzard, or Franklin NCwx. Get in touch!

I'll be there tomorrow with bells on! I'm still pondering tacking on a few more hours to the drives tomorrow and hitting the Parkway! Thank you so much MM for making this event possible! I'll have large checks for everyone attending if I hit the Mega Millions tonight fyi.

Also MM I have an odd question and I won't be offended if you say no. Are you comfortable with firearms aka a shotgun being brought to get together? Do you live far enough in the woods to make it possible to unload some rounds? If you or others are not ok with that I fully understand.

I'll be there tomorrow with bells on! I'm still pondering tacking on a few more hours to the drives tomorrow and hitting the Parkway! Thank you so much MM for making this event possible! I'll have large checks for everyone attending if I hit the Mega Millions tonight fyi.

Also MM I have an odd question and I won't be offended if you say no. Are you comfortable with firearms aka a shotgun being brought to fire? Do you live far enough in the woods to make it possible to unload some rounds? If you or others are not ok with that I fully understand.

Damn. Now I have to leave my hoodie at home.

If I don't get word on the shotgun thing I'll refrain from bringing it.

I'm also bringing a bottle of Merlot and a six pack of bud light. I'll probably only have a glass or so of wine and a few beers so there is some extra for those that want some. I am also bringing two chairs to sit in. I obviously only need one so there will be an extra one of those outdoor mesh chairs if someone forgot one and we need it. I'm trying to think of anything else I can bring and am drawing a blank at the moment.

Archived