joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Speculation Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, Euro weeklies keep the Mid-Atlantic warm through week three, with neutral/slightly negative temps for the middle of the month as slightly above normal temps work a bit more into Greenland. Week two shows a cold dump from Alaska down into the Northwest and far northern Plains but doesn't take it any further than that as the rest of the country sees widespread aboves.

Wow is all I can say on the 00Z GFS run of 200+hrs out thIs morning. Colder run then the last time I looked. Still far away in time, but this is the best I have seen so far this winter. Let's just keep the fingers crossed these runs only get colder and better.

Euro still shows a decent -nao later in the 0z run but the -pna kinda messes up our pattern in the east. GFS picking up on rising heights over Greenland starting in about the same timeframe but then really cranks them later in the run.

Nothing wrong with this map.

No, that map would work. If the -NAO is as strong as advertised there, we can deal with a -PNA with that big -EPO ridge. If the -NAO is weak or neutral, than a -PNA/-EPO pattern is a mild one probably.

Euro still shows a decent -nao later in the 0z run but the -pna kinda messes up our pattern in the east. GFS picking up on rising heights over Greenland starting in about the same timeframe but then really cranks them later in the run.

Nothing wrong with this map.

It's still tough to get a decent snowstorm in such a pattern. Only 16 of 71 four inch or greater events for DCA occurred with a negative PNA pattern and half of those occurred with a positive nao and half with a negative one. Now that I've finished publishing my article. Here's the stats with scatter diagrams.

post-70-0-26653400-1327076743.gif

It's still tough to get a decent snowstorm in such a pattern. Only 16 of 71 four inch or greater events for DCA occurred with a negative PNA pattern and half of those occurred with a positive nao and half with a negative one. Now that I've finished publishing my article. Here's the stats with scatter diagrams.

I agree Wes. I'm just liking the overall look that seems to have decent consensus building for a -nao. It's not getting pushed back like we've seen all season. Both the gfs and euro are holding serve with building heights over greenland. Gotta start somewhere right? A -pna with a +nao is a heck of alot worse than a -nao.

I think the odds at popping at least a transient +pna is pretty good during the first week of Feb. I said this in another post somewhere but when I lived in CO we always had 5-7 day breaks from storm cycles like the one we are seeing now out west. A big ridge typically builds before the next pac onslaught starts. Febs are great in the northern rockies during most Nina's. Big NW flow events that can put down fresh snow for 10 days straight at times. I think the timing of the current one is pretty good. The door may be open for a -nao/+pna combo during the first 10 days of next month.

I agree Wes. I'm just liking the overall look that seems to have decent consensus building for a -nao. It's not getting pushed back like we've seen all season. Both the gfs and euro are holding serve with building heights over greenland. Gotta start somewhere right? A -pna with a +nao is a heck of alot worse than a -nao.

I think the odds at popping at least a transient +pna is pretty good during the first week of Feb. I said this in another post somewhere but when I lived in CO we always had 5-7 day breaks from storm cycles like the one we are seeing now out west. A big ridge typically builds before the next pac onslaught starts. Febs are great in the northern rockies during most Nina's. Big NW flow events that can put down fresh snow for 10 days straight at times. I think the timing of the current one is pretty good. The door may be open for a -nao/+pna combo during the first 10 days of next month.

I alluded to that possibility in my last CWG pattern article that included the ao/pna scatter diagram.

GEFS looks quite juicy with a nice big trough for the start of Feb. Now we just need to get the euro to move it a little further east as well and then we are in business.

Surface temps definitely seem to be lagging in the gfs ensemble given the size of the trough...the operational shows the real face of surface temps (i.e. -20+ degree anomolies!)

depends on one's expectations

I'm pretty sure any of us would take a 2-4 or 3-6" event that is 2-3" at DCA...there are plenty of nice storms that didn't make the 4" threshold at DCA....

I should do a similar plot for 1-3 inch events though it takes me several hours to collect the dat.

I'm going to take some time this weekend and look at other sites around the area for the analog nina years I pulled. DCA snow didn't look great at all (especially if you get rid of 96 and that is a good idea anyway). Nina climo definitely favors N&W of DC. I'd have assume that places like IAD, BWI, and FDK etc did better but how much I have no idea.

There is no reason to totally discount the chance of a decent event in Feb. We've had a very long run of some really bad teleconnections so far. Even though Nina climo isn't friendly to the MA in Feb as a whole, we probably stand the best chance all year at lining up a decent large scale pattern. If not, bring on spring and rockfish season.

I'm not sure the distribution would be much different, but the number of events would go way up obviously

But it might be a little different and for sure the number of events would go up. Because of that, I'd probably try to look at a shorter time periods since I'm picking all the data off by hand and entering it into a spread sheet.

Wes...I agree the Euro looked pretty rough at that time. On the other hand, 12z GFS ensemble mean looks absolutely gorgeous:

http://raleighwx.ame...nomalyNH264.gif

I know it will be interesting to look at the euro ens mean when it come in. Last night it looked good in the atlantic and aweful in the pacific if i'm recalling what I looked at ealier correctly.

It doesn go out to Feb 1 but the 240 euro from this morning is butt ugly as the -pna forces a big ridge over he eastern half of the country.

I saw that. Pretty much a 180 from the last 6 runs or so. 12z doesn't want to build any heights over greenland at all. Still a bit better in the atl than what we've seen. GFS is is quite different and holding on to the -nao and no big trough out west.

We have 11 days before the end of the month so I guess time will tell.

0z Euro ensemble mean at Day 10 is...fair. -EPO ridge over the Bering straight, which leads to a -PNA trough on the West Coast and essentially zonal flow across the CONUS. Ridging into Greenland is less impressive than what the GFS ensemble mean has been showing the last few days.

I should do a similar plot for 1-3 inch events though it takes me several hours to collect the dat.

i have every event in a spreadsheet if you really want it maybe i'll sell it to you for cheap. ;)

Archived