Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter '11/'12 Complaint Thread

A-L-E-K

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2011-2012

24 days at or below freezing in Howell, MI this winter so far.

2010-2011

74 days at or below freezing.in Howell, MI during DJFM

What did you estimate Howells average at?

At DTW...the average number of max temps AOB 32F is 44.

2011-12: 16

2010-11: 68

At DTW...the average number of min temps AOB 32F is 124

2011-12: 76

2010-11: 132

Slightly amusing is the fact that one month of either side of dmc's range of time, there were a total of 5 8" snowstorms. 2 in January 1994 and 3 in January 1999. So it's not quite as bad as it seems.

Continue talk from March 2-4th thread here...

No it was that bad around here. I actually compare to on whats going on in YYZ now. Jan 99' Technically brought only 1/ 8"+ snowstorm to DTW. There was 3 full season same as YYZ of futility

MI wouldn't blow if the surrounding states and country didn't suck so much :whistle::rambo::lol:

As for the MI bashing yah okay whatever. If you don't like it here then don't let the door hit yah on the way out. I enjoy NW Oakland county and someday I plan to retire in Allegan. I love northern Lower and the UP. I really like it here but that's me.

I LOVE Allegan Co... the wife and I go there as many times as we can during the summer. They get snow, big storms, and it's pretty besides. I'm not real keen on Genesee county, where I live though. Storms seem to come blazing up I-69 and suddenly fail miserably right at the county line.

I LOVE Allegan Co... the wife and I go there as many times as we can during the summer. They get snow, big storms, and it's pretty besides. I'm not real keen on Genesee county, where I live though. Storms seem to come blazing up I-69 and suddenly fail miserably right at the county line.

Yeah we spend a lot of time around Allegan too. This winter has been the least we have been out there since I can remember. Weather wise yes Allegan make this area look silly (bigger snows & a lot more t-storm action). I basically consider Allegan my perfect weather scenario.

I know what you are talking about when you say the t-storms suddenly fail around the county line. For t-storms my immediate BY is one of the 'fail' areas. This is why I storm chase now. I have learned a few hot spots in this area to go to (Genesis, Oakland, Livingston and Lapeer Counties). What I have found interesting is in these counties there are certain areas that 'fail' yet there are hot spots too. While there are times I wish it would just nail MBY, I am now actually happy to just storm chase knowing that MBY will not likely get any damage and is basically safe. Worst that seems to happen from t-storms IMBY is we lose power (generator solves that problem easy enough).

Funny how a storm like today's model well 24 hours in advanced with no significant NW (or SE) trend in the last 24 hours. If a major storm (like the one occurring today) is modeled to hit MBY there is ALWAYS a massive NW (or SE) trend in the last 24 hours. I really do understand why every major storm expected to hit this MBY always has some massive NW or SE trend yet other areas don't always have that problem.

I know other areas deal with trend at times too. I know the models are not perfect outside of my area. I am not saying that at all. Heck I have been saved by massive NW or SE trends before and gotten major storms when I was not expecting them.

My point is: It would be great for once to track a major storm expected to hit MBY in the last 24-36 hours. Watching the models & observations and not deal with some massive NW or SE trend. Being and the sweet spot and staying in the sweet spot and getting the sweet spot.

Funny how a storm like today's model well 24 hours in advanced with no significant NW (or SE) trend in the last 24 hours. If a major storm (like the one occurring today) is modeled to hit MBY there is ALWAYS a massive NW (or SE) trend in the last 24 hours. I really do understand why every major storm expected to hit this MBY always has some massive NW or SE trend yet other areas don't always have that problem.

I know other areas deal with trend at times too. I know the models are not perfect outside of my area. I am not saying that at all. Heck I have been saved by massive NW or SE trends before and gotten major storms when I was not expecting them.

My point is: It would be great for once to track a major storm expected to hit MBY in the last 24-36 hours. Watching the models & observations and not deal with some massive NW or SE trend. Being and the sweet spot and staying in the sweet spot and getting the sweet spot.

Actually not so sure about this storm staying constant. Though it wont be significant, any slight deviation in track is huge for northern MI. (And like any snow this winter the snow areas is not exactly huge lol). Im a little nervous being in Grayling right now, NWS saying might be tracking a bit west, and if I was in the Alpena area Id be a nervous wreck right now. They are saying some counties in far eastern northern MI may only get 1-3" after 0.75" rain, and 30 miles may be the difference between 3/4 inch rain and 8" snow.

Actually not so sure about this storm staying constant. Though it wont be significant, any slight deviation in track is huge for northern MI. (And like any snow this winter the snow areas is not exactly huge lol). Im a little nervous being in Grayling right now, NWS saying might be tracking a bit west, and if I was in the Alpena area Id be a nervous wreck right now. They are saying some counties in far eastern northern MI may only get 1-3" after 0.75" rain, and 30 miles may be the difference between 3/4 inch rain and 8" snow.

Agree all ready took amounts away from a line HTL to ALP. 3-11" versus 8-15" earlier

Agree all ready took amounts away from a line HTL to ALP. 3-11" versus 8-15" earlier

These places you are mentioning have been shown to be on the southern edge of the models for the past 24 hours. If you are replying to my post I didn't say there would not be minor adjustments (as with every storm there screw zones). My point was about significant adjustments and for the past 24 hours the track has been pretty much nailed down (it is just about on Lansing right now and if you look at last nights posts about on Lansing is what it was showing). The models and my target if I could have had the weekend off would have been TC, Gaylord, Boyne City to Indian River. Looking at radar that remains the best target. Grayling was expected to be southern edge while it still can do well it would not have been my choice. Thing have remained relatively 'constant' with only minor shifts. This is something I would love to see happen IMBY with one of the major snowstorms. For whatever reason when the models target MBY it ends up with some major shift.

Again I not saying MBY is always missed by storms. That would be an incorrect statement for sure as I have seen several 12-16" storms. I think the closest I have seen model perfection IMBY is the Dec 2000 or April 2005 (this one had a NW trend but the NAM nailed it if I recall correctly 24-36 hours while the other models played catch-up).

These places you are mentioning have been shown to be on the southern edge of the models for the past 24 hours. If you are replying to my post I didn't say there would not be minor adjustments (as with every storm there screw zones). My point was about significant adjustments and for the past 24 hours the track has been pretty much nailed down (it is just about on Lansing right now and if you look at last nights posts about on Lansing is what it was showing). The models and my target if I could have had the weekend off would have been TC, Gaylord, Boyne City to Indian River. Looking at radar that remains the best target. Grayling was expected to be southern edge while it still can do well it would not have been my choice. Thing have remained relatively 'constant' with only minor shifts. This is something I would love to see happen IMBY with one of the major snowstorms. For whatever reason when the models target MBY it ends up with some major shift.

Again I not saying MBY is always missed by storms. That would be an incorrect statement for sure as I have seen several 12-16" storms. I think the closest I have seen model perfection IMBY is the Dec 2000 or April 2005 (this one had a NW trend but the NAM nailed it if I recall correctly 24-36 hours while the other models played catch-up).

Oh yeah I know you said its pretty much been nailed down, not that there wouldnt be minor changes. Thats why I said, though no significant variances in track, minor ones would create big sensible weather differences. Will have to see final snow totals, but Im thinking this was a typical storm where models way overdid qpf at first, they had blobs of 2"+ qpf in NW lower...again dont want to speak til totals come out, but I doubt that we will see any crazy totals like that. I gambled on where to go, I still like my choice. Wont be NEAR the jackpot for storm, but WAS near jackpot for snowdepth so tomorrow should be great!

EDIT looks like Leelenau is raking it in! may be some places WILL have insane totals, just not so widespread.

Oh yeah I know you said its pretty much been nailed down, not that there wouldnt be minor changes. Thats why I said, though no significant variances in track, minor ones would create big sensible weather differences. Will have to see final snow totals, but Im thinking this was a typical storm where models way overdid qpf at first, they had blobs of 2"+ qpf in NW lower...again dont want to speak til totals come out, but I doubt that we will see any crazy totals like that. I gambled on where to go, I still like my choice. Wont be NEAR the jackpot for storm, but WAS near jackpot for snowdepth so tomorrow should be great!

You are still in a great spot to enjoy this storm bulleyes will be near you and sightseeing is in your future tomorrow. Oh yeah I know QPF is overdone on the models with these major storms. I wasn't expecting 2'+ snow totals out of this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mmmm... At this point I think it's pretty safe to say winter is officially over. A couple days ago I thought we might be able to add at least a dusting or so to the seasonal total today. That didn't pan out. Just virga overhead and a few cold rain sprinkles today.

Over? The winter of 2011-'12 was dead on arrival. It was preceded by pundits proclaiming anticipation of joy, hope and widespread pleasurable fulfillment for all who lusts after and loves winter. Instead, it's decomposing body emitted a horrendous stench for months as mourners cried and gnashed their teeth, hoping for a miraculous revival. The least we can do is now give it a decent burial (using a snow shovel).

Over? The winter of 2011-'12 was dead on arrival. It was preceded by pundits proclaiming anticipation of joy, hope and widespread pleasurable fulfillment for all who lusts after and loves winter. Instead, it's decomposing body emitted a horrendous stench for months as mourners cried and gnashed their teeth, hoping for a miraculous revival. The least we can do is now give it a decent burial (using a snow shovel).

Whats funny is your area had near normal snowfall :lol: Funny how it can work out in a winter that seems so...not there! We were well below normal here, but also well out of futility mark. At 26", looking at 132 years of records, we were about 15" below average but 13" above the grand futility mark, not even making the top 20 least snowy list. This is definitely one winter to bury and move on.

Whats funny is your area had near normal snowfall :lol: Funny how it can work out in a winter that seems so...not there! We were well below normal here, but also well out of futility mark. At 26", looking at 132 years of records, we were about 15" below average but 13" above the grand futility mark, not even making the top 20 least snowy list. This is definitely one winter to bury and move on.

Yea. It seems like there was just enough snow to make for some deceptively treacherous commutes. Most of this winter's "storms" were rain followed by 1-2" of slush and a flash-freeze that turns every untreated surface into an instant skating rink. It was the worst of all possible winters. Incredibly dull and unremarkable in every way but still managing to be a pain in the ass. I've also noticed that people no longer seem to know how to drive on snow and ice around here.

Yea. It seems like there was just enough snow to make for some deceptively treacherous commutes. Most of this winter's "storms" were rain followed by 1-2" of slush and a flash-freeze that turns every untreated surface into an instant skating rink. It was the worst of all possible winters. Incredibly dull and unremarkable in every way but still managing to be a pain in the ass. I've also noticed that people no longer seem to know how to drive on snow and ice around here.

Meh, people never seem to know how to drive in snow :lol:. Yes, many of our snows left the roads just slushy or wet, yet the few snows we had that were very cold and required adequate road care (Jan 15, Jan 20, Feb 10), the plows were quite late and road conditions a mess. It was completely understandable in the past 4 winters when they went WAY overbudget on snow-removal, but there was NO excuse this winter, the few cold snows we had the road crews should have had the roads pristine.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, people never seem to know how to drive in snow :lol:. Yes, many of our snows left the roads just slushy or wet, yet the few snows we had that were very cold and required adequate road care (Jan 15, Jan 20, Feb 10), the plows were quite late and road conditions a mess. It was completely understandable in the past 4 winters when they went WAY overbudget on snow-removal, but there was NO excuse this winter, the few cold snows we had the road crews should have had the roads pristine.

Well you'd think they'd eventually learn in a place like Grand Rapids MI. In my experience a wet partially sticking snow during the day with temperatures falling well below freezing just as the snow tapers off leads to the worst experience on untreated roads. A cold snow actually provides traction as long as you avoid spinning in place or locking the brakes. It can still get slick where it's been heavily packed by other drivers though. A thick layer of black ice underneath an inadequate amount of snow is the worst though, mainly because drivers always underestimate the lack of traction and go flying off the road into trees and such.

It's sort of like when you get the light rains in the summer that accumumlate just enough to make the streets "damp" and "slippery", but not enough to actually flood the streets and force people to slow down.

The funny thing about most snows this season is just enough fell to make the roads a hot mess, but it wasn't enough top force people to drive as if they had some sense.

This is including the events you listed. The only event I'd say was plowable this season was that one powder storm I believe we had on January 15th, where the streets and freeways were completely covered. Even then, a good salting would have melted that off right away on the main streets and highways.

Usually, the streets have to become rutted (which takes 4"+ of powder, maybe more with wet snow) before people will drive like they have some sense.

It's sort of like when you get the light rains in the summer that accumumlate just enough to make the streets "damp" and "slippery", but not enough to actually flood the streets and force people to slow down.

The funny thing about most snows this season is just enough fell to make the roads a hot mess, but it wasn't enough top force people to drive as if they had some sense.

This is including the events you listed. The only event I'd say was plowable this season was that one powder storm I believe we had on January 15th, where the streets and freeways were completely covered. Even then, a good salting would have melted that off right away on the main streets and highways.

Usually, the streets have to become rutted (which takes 4"+ of powder, maybe more with wet snow) before people will drive like they have some sense.

That powder event on Jan 20th was probably the worst for complete freeway coverage because it was 2-3 inches of 8-11:1 ratio sugar with temps in the low-mid teens and no wind. Its ironic that we had a snowfall like this in the 6th warmest winter on record, as many colder, more active winters dont see a synoptic snowfall with temps that cold.

Jan 20, 2012, approx 11pm, sugar snow glued to the roads with temps 15-20F BELOW freezing

3036-800.jpg

The Feb 10/11th event was actually wild once the near 0 visib snow had tapered because thats when the wind picked up, and thats when plows like to start (after the heaviest snow falls). Some roads in more open areas were windswept clean, others had foot+ snowdrifts. It was easily the best snowstorm of the winter here, in both inches and drifts (had a couple foot drifts imby). With a 4.9" fall imby, the first 2 inches or so fell with temps hugging the 32F mark, the last 3 inches fell with temps taking a quick tumble into the teens.

Feb 10, 2012, approx 11pm, snow starting to drift where not packed down.

3074-800.jpg

As cool as the arctic front was, its a shame that it was the only 4"+ snow of the entire winter. The previous 4 winters had tallied 27 storms of 4"+ (11 of which were 6"+)!!! Its now mid-May, the worst of spring allergies have passed (but are certainly not done lol), so putting the winter of 2011-12 to rest, hoping it was just one blip in a snowy cycle.

Archived