Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Predict DTWs Snowfall.

SpartyOn

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not rule out the possibilty of a sub 20inch either. Especially if it's the end of jan and we are staring at a zonal regime into Feb while at the same time DTW stands below 10inched.

1995-96 and 97-98 were bad winters.. we always made out in March. Keep that in mine

Will be great to bump in mid-April though :violin:

fwiw for anyone who does want to make a serious guess, climo from Jan 11th onward is 28".

Lol its the almost the same here as well.. Skilling posted a graphic saying we still have 73% to go in terms of average snowfall..

Edit: Yep its 27.1" climo for here from now on..

Nice graphic below showing how we have still only gone through a FRACTION of the season so far..

FEATGRAPH011112-thumb-612x374.jpg

Will be great to bump in mid-April though :violin:

fwiw for anyone who does want to make a serious guess, climo from Jan 11th onward is 28".

I made my guess on the next two weeks seeing that a maybe uneventful snowfall wise. I do think another 18.8" might be a little conservative considering Feb/March have been quite eventful here in past bad winters. So its a risk for me to say 25.5" but I will run with it. Hopefully we bump this thread in April so I can face palm my prediction

While I plan on lowering my call of 55" from the Fall, I really would like to wait until Feb 1st to see where we are and where we are likely headed.

As said, if we get exactly climo the rest of the way (28"), that would put DTW at 34.7". There are several scenarios going through my head...the season sits at 6.7" thru Jan 11th.

Option #1) It is very very, VERY common, esp in a Nina winter to have at least one month be abnormally snowy. Its not a guarentee, but its extremely likely. Now if you double your April average, thats less than 4" of snow. If you double your Feb average thats 21". We have had quite the phenomena streak going in Februaries since 2007, esp 2008, 2010, 2011. So it would only be fitting if Feb is the month that produces. I will go climo the rest of Jan (which will still put us below for the month as a whole), double climo Feb, and climo Mar and Apr. This will be about 39" more snowfall thanks to a 21" Feb, and that will put us at 45-46" on the season.

Option #2) We basically ride climo the rest of the way, not above, not below, and end up at 34-35".

Option #3) This option I consider BY FAR the LEAST likely, Im only doing it to humor those who think a bad start to winter, plus being due for a bad winter = a bad winter. We go half climo the rest of the way (14") which leaves us at 20-21" total. This is least likely for a number of reasons. La Ninas have an extremely high probability of seeing above normal precip, so even if its not sticking around long, snow will be falling over the next 3 months. Also, I give us a 95% chance at going into a pattern change of a persistent period of abnormal cold at SOMETIME during the remaining 3 months of the cold season. Now, late March and April cold with "stat-padding" snowfall is not what anyone wants, though it has happened before. Lets hope for all that this cold/snowy period occurs in Feb (though I wouldnt mind March).

Option #4) This option is also imo very unlikely (though not as unlikely as #3). Over 50" of snow fell in Feb/Mar 2008. Nearly 60" fell in Feb/Mar 1900. Its possible that we still do see some crazy backend loaded winter to still push us near 60". Again, very unlikely, but if you are going to take two extremely unlikely scenarios (#3 and #4), the determining factor for me would be what kind of "snow cycle" have you been in recently....and clearly thats a snowy one here.

Right now, i would give the percentages...

#1) 50%

#2) 40%

#3) 4%

#4) 6%

Will make a call feb 1st.

27 inches! FTW.

Not banking on the clipper or the rinse wash repeat next week. Maybe around Valentines day we can sneak a 5-7 inch winter weather advisory in. Watch we get a Early Spring Blizzard just in time when everyone is getting sick of winter. March 1st most/some of the non weenies check out on winter and embrace severe. Lol

Archived