amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Next week's major storm and beyond

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the Euro is a dream come true run. Thursday performs up north... a bit of a Miller B... then the 1/16 snow threat Scooter and I have been mentioning.

Euro ensembles definitely have a cold look with the Aleutian ridge sticking around for a while. The ridge builds into a very impressive Omega block which would likely keep the pattern fairly stable with the PV dislodged into Canada. I really like the look of it including 1/21 snow potential.

:snowman:

Since your trip to vermont you are a changed man... :snowman:

Its gotten closer every day, maybe will not happen but if you get a tad of ridging with a feed out of Quebec you are in the ball game.

BOX has thrown a couple of us the smallest of a weenie-bone.

MAZ002-080900-

WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASHFIELD...CHARLEMONT...COLRAIN...

SHELBURNE

416 PM EST SAT JAN 7 2012

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS.

LOWS IN THE MID 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY...RAIN SHOWERS LIKELY. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE

UPPER 30S. CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS.

COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE MID 20S. CHANCE OF RAIN 30 PERCENT.

Steve the AO is not progged to be that negative, especially on the euro. It's actually neutral to a hair +.  I think the ridging is just outside its domain. It doesn't take away from the ridging..just that the AO isn't that affected.

With the PV in Hudsons bay and the pole with positive heights? Euro Ens imply neg to me.

With the PV in Hudsons bay and the pole with positive heights? Euro Ens imply neg to me.

But that configuration stays. A trough right through the Davis Straits is the exact opposite of a -NAO. The only thing that tries to bring the domain near zero, is the slight ridging into ne Greenland, but I would say, it's a + NAO look. When I look at the whole H5 evolution, I don't really see ridging development in that area..not even any hints right now.

Maybe it's something that will appear out of nowhere. Certainly possible, but not in the next 2 weeks at least and maybe 3 weeks.

That ridge slowly weakens and retrogrades a little too much toward Kamchatka by the end of the run. I just hope the AK vortex of death doesn't redevelop d20+.

Yeah GEFS turn ugly at the end with the ridge retrograde. At least with the AO not sky high it won't be as ugly with low heights returning. I do think the tendency to lower heights over AK/GOA is going to prevent this pattern change from locking in for good... it may be temporary.

Models seem to be trying each run to drop values more and more, maybe not in the next ten days but I am pretty confidant it develops the more I see. As Tip says the delta is important too.

I never really look at the indicies... just the height anomalies. I think the maps tell more about the pattern than those graphs.

I'm resigned to the fact I'm not getting much this year so my favorite places up north might as well cash in!

Well, I think we have a more favorable shot up here with these changes going forward for more winter type storms and cold then we have had in this crappy pattern the last 8 weeks, We got lucky a couple of times but the rest of the storms went in the toilet

But that configuration stays. A trough right through the Davis Straits is the exact opposite of a -NAO. The only thing that tries to bring the domain near zero, is the slight ridging into ne Greenland, but I would say, it's a + NAO look. When I look at the whole H5 evolution, I don't really see ridging development in that area..not even any hints right now.

Maybe it's something that will appear out of nowhere. Certainly possible, but not in the next 2 weeks at least and maybe 3 weeks.

Wait, we were discussing AO. I posted that map in reply to your AO comment

I do not understand this line of thinking. Dropping the PV into Hudson bay usually corresponds to ridging in Greenland no?

But the PV has spokes right now that are in a stable position.One across sw Canada, one into the Plains which could be good for us as far as low pressure availability, and the other into the Davis straits. With that configuration, it's hard to get a -NAO.

But, if that moves out a little, or we get some help from above...it could form. I may be wrong, but as of Jan 7, I think for at least the next 2 and possibly 3 weeks, the NAO may hover near neutral.

But the PV has spokes right now that are in a stable position.One across sw Canada, one into the Plains which could be good for us as far as low pressure availability, and the other into the Davis straits. With that configuration, it's hard to get a -NAO.

But, if that moves out a little, or we get some help from above...it could form. I may be wrong, but as of Jan 7, I think for at least the next 2 and possibly 3 weeks, the NAO may hover near neutral.

cool, great discussion and learning, about time we had something positive to talk about.

Wait, we were discussing AO. I posted that map in reply to your AO comment

The AO indices I'm seeing a near neutral, but it really is semantics. If it were slightly + or -, it should not change any thinking since the ridging may only be included in part of its domain. I would think it's more - than + imo, as shown.

I hate the text values of indices. I want people to look at H5 and get a sense of the pattern. It's the best way to learn.

Yeah as long as that vortex is dropping into the davis straight....that is essentially the opposite of good with respect to the NAO...I think we are going to have to forget about prolonged NAO cooperation for the time being, imo.

Could be a case again where the index tickles neutral or whatnot but that would probably be owed entirely to some transient ridging in the far north central atlantic reaching up to the area east of greenland. But it would be offset anyway by those strong negative anomalies over western greenland and davis region.

We might see the charts say "negative" but it wouldnt , imo, be very productive for us

I like that -PNA look too for an active southern stream. As you mentioned if that ridge retros too far into Russia we start getting into trouble with a milder look.

Yeah that was my hope. Get that PNA in a position to send storms our way, but we have to be careful not to be too greedy because it will send storms..just not that type we want..lol.

Archived