Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs

KokomoWX

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be absolutely mystified if La Crosse and Milwaukee both don't make it to 20". Hell I'd even go as far to say 25" for both would be a lock. I mean La Crosse is 1/4th the way there, and Milwaukee gets the benefit of a good lake effect event at least once a year.

I would be absolutely mystified if La Crosse and Milwaukee both don't make it to 20". Hell I'd even go as far to say 25" for both would be a lock. I mean La Crosse is 1/4th the way there, and Milwaukee gets the benefit of a good lake effect event at least once a year.

Lol! Try once every few years, and this year probably will not be one of those years.

Lol! Try once every few years, and this year probably will not be one of those years.

The absolutes are annoying but your point is fair, anything resembling a good LE event in MKE is less than likely in any given year and with 1/3 of the winter in the books without one, probably less likely than normal this year.

re: the MKE not reaching 20 discussion, i fall somewhere in the middle, history says it's probably going to happrn but I don't share Chicagowx's confidence. Dec is over and the first third of January looks like a clunker.

I figure I have a two month window (mid January to mid March). Things are going to change. MKE will get to 20".

I figure I have a two month window (mid January to mid March). Things are going to change. MKE will get to 20".

They probably will, I just don't share your confidence. IIRC ORD's record is like 9" or something, so disasters can happen.

And really, i'd tak3 6" over 10" anyday, if it's going to suck let's set some records.

They probably will, I just don't share your confidence. IIRC ORD's record is like 9" or something, so disasters can happen.

And really, i'd tak3 6" over 10" anyday, if it's going to suck let's set some records.

Sure disasters have happened...but I don't think this will be one of them. I mean I get that some think we'll never get out of this wretched pattern, but I think that's incorrect. We'll see. Good luck on your snow futility chase...if that's what it comes down to.

Sure disasters have happened...but I don't think this will be one of them. I mean I get that some think we'll never get out of this wretched pattern, but I think that's incorrect. We'll see. Good luck on your snow futility chase...if that's what it comes down to.

I'm holding out hope through January, if we finish the month below 5", i'm going all in for the record.

mini ghd @ the end of the euro!

LOL - already turning a corner nobody believed would ever come ('cept perhaps Mr. Deedler).

From this map, I see that the serious snow zone has been to our north and east. I could easily see that expanding S. and W. as we move forward into a more favorable pattern. Its not the conventional snowpack to the NW expanding SE, but hey, who said Ma Nature has to make every year the same 'ol routine time and time again. Just look at the last few winters for example. Not saying we're through with torches either; see 2007-08 for good examples.

post-7240-0-13402900-1325604385.jpg

post-7240-0-84646500-1325604304.jpg

post-7240-0-99132900-1325604413.jpg

12Z GFS shows the same old song and dance. GFS holds back pattern change.

Looking at an OP run for consistent changes in the extended is futile. The skill falls way off past day 6. Regardless, any real change to a more "wintry pattern" is outside 10 days...if it shows up at all. It's a patience thing at this point.

Well, the next 7 days are shot. That'll bring us to the 10th, which is when I thought a pattern change might start to develop. If it's still looking hopeless at that point, we're going to be entering unprecedented territory as far as extreme lack of winter weather during a La Nina is concerned.

La Nina is supposed to be our friend.

Well, the next 7 days are shot. That'll bring us to the 10th, which is when I thought a pattern change might start to develop. If it's still looking hopeless at that point, we're going to be entering unprecedented territory as far as extreme lack of winter weather during a La Nina is concerned.

La Nina is supposed to be our friend.

Not always. True it probably gives a better chance at seeing a good winter versus Ninos...but there are some real clunkers as well. But I know you know this...

The 10th is/was way too soon for changes. There are too many things that have to transpire for us to really change this pattern. If you look up to the north and northwest, I think the changes will be starting relatively soon...but our realization of them will be farther down the road. Maybe. I do think we'll get into a stretch where wintry opportunities will be present past day 7...but sustained winter is far down the road (last week to 10 days of this month or early Feb...again, maybe). Despair for the true winter lover runs deep...but keep the faith.

Not always. True it probably gives a better chance at seeing a good winter versus Ninos...but there are some real clunkers as well. But I know you know this...

The 10th is/was way too soon for changes. There are too many things that have to transpire for us to really change this pattern. If you look up to the north and northwest, I think the changes will be starting relatively soon...but our realization of them will be farther down the road. Maybe. I do think we'll get into a stretch where wintry opportunities will be present past day 7...but sustained winter is far down the road (last week to 10 days of this month or early Feb...again, maybe). Despair for the true winter lover runs deep...but keep the faith.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't know man, you're confident in MKE hitting 20 but are delaying a possible pattern change until Feb...not leaving much of a window there. :pimp:

I don't know man, you're confident in MKE hitting 20 but are delaying a possible pattern change until Feb...not leaving much of a window there. :pimp:

For "sustained" winter, yeah...last week of January/early February. I really think there will be chances before then...but it's probably hit or miss. I need one decent hit for MKE in that timeframe (mid January) and I'll feel very good about my odds. :D

Archived