Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
One Year Later: Remembering the KU Boxing Day Blizzard HECS

Hailstorm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly my point. Queens area received around 1" of qpf only. To receive 20", like a lot reported, would require 20 to 1 ratios. Suspect.

The big snow drifts skewed a lot of snow amounts.

snow and wind is notorious for undercatching when it comes to qpf...It was ten-fold with the Boxing Day event...would not look too far into those qpf totals at all

I don't think anyone is arguing that. It's just when you get thunder and lightning and 2-4" an hour with tropical storm force wind gusts in some cases for 6 to 8 hours, for people who got to experience that, 96 just doesn't measure up. It would be tough to spread that kind of intensity out over a large area like in 96 and most of what made 96 so great was the slow moving nature of the storm and the extreme cold making the ratios that much better.

s

I stand by my previous argument. For the greater NYC metro, Boxing Day is #1 in terms of intensity and winds. #2 or #3 in terms of snowfall compared to 96' and PDII. Now imagine a 96 setup with a Boxing Day low intensity. It's fun to dream.

I stand by my previous argument. For the greater NYC metro, Boxing Day is #1 in terms of intensity and winds. #2 or #3 in terms of snowfall compared to 96' and PDII. Now imagine a 96 setup with a Boxing Day low intensity. It's fun to dream.

The answer for your setup is February Blizzard of 1978 being 150 miles south.

But for the Coastal midatlantic, SE of I-95 2/6/10 is king, along with 12/09 of course as those areas cashed out big time. I think AC/Cape May/Delaware mostly got 6 to 12" of snow before changing over in 96 and most of those locales did better a month later with the Feb nor'easter.

For those talking about February 6, 2010 and January 6, 1996... totals were quite comparable, espeically near DC-BWI, for PHL, though '96 is the king, it was probably undermeasured a tad as well. I think PHL got closer to 36 inches in 1996.

But for the Coastal midatlantic, SE of I-95 2/6/10 is king, along with 12/09 of course as those areas cashed out big time. I think AC/Cape May/Delaware mostly got 6 to 12" of snow before changing over in 96 and most of those locales did better a month later with the Feb nor'easter.

Yes, fhose near coastal MD got 30" of snow for Feb 6, 2010. December 19, 2009 was awesome for Atlantic County NJ, as around 26 inches fell there...

snow and wind is notorious for undercatching when it comes to qpf...It was ten-fold with the Boxing Day event...would not look too far into those qpf totals at all

My core samples from the 96 blizzard had more qpf than my rain guage...at least 25% more...I don't have my notes with me but I think the guage was 12/1 and the ground core sample was 9/1...I had some sleet/grauple so it compacted more...

I totally was. Yesterday I read through some of the posts...you came in and asked me if I was naked.

Of course I did..lol.

Well I'm kidding of course, because you had every right. I was fortunate to get a local jackpot at home too. Close to 20". My best storm of the winter. Whayt a storm for you guys.

Earthlight was the biggest weenie that day.

Although to be fair, the reason I was going nuts was because I had totally grasped the situation. I was sitting under a re-generating deformation band that was similar to the historic snowstorms of all the years past. Stuff like that doesn't happen...for a dude who loves snow it was unbelievable. I'm sure we will see something synoptically similar to 12/26, someday, but what are the chances that my specific location is hammered the most out of anywhere? Probably zero.

96 and 2003 were totally different animals compared to the Boxing Day event.. 96 and 2003 were (definitely 2003) if my memory serves me correctly were more or less over running events.. The storms themselves were not very strong.. There were VERY cold/strong highs to the north that created a gradient which obviously created the wind impact in 96 and 2003.. The winds were probably in the 25-40mph range in those events.. where as in the boxing day storm, inconjunction w/ the strong storm and the high pressure to the north caused extreme winds.. Also, the reason for the strong forcing/banding and prolific snow rates was also b/c of the strength of the storm, whereas in 96 and 03, there were copious amounts of snow but not the crazy banding experienced in the boxing day event..

1996 had hours of overunning precip, well ahead of the storm, and then the coastal took over at night with blizzard conditions and 2"-4" an hour rates for hours.

I'll never forget Scott posted his famous deformation banding graphic from plymouth a few hours before the storm...man that got me pumped up.

That's actually from wright-weather.

When I saw that signal on Christmas, I knew you guys would get nailed. Those graphics never fail and the principles that guide them.

Right. I miss those Miller A type storms where its just a large blob of green headed our way with no dry slots or having to worry about waiting for the storm to bomb out before we see any heavy snow. That's what 2/6/10 looked like when it unfortunately ran into a brick wall of confluence.

1996 had hours of overunning precip, well ahead of the storm, and then the coastal took over at night with blizzard conditions and 2"-4" an hour rates for hours.

Although to be fair, the reason I was going nuts was because I had totally grasped the situation. I was sitting under a re-generating deformation band that was similar to the historic snowstorms of all the years past. Stuff like that doesn't happen...for a dude who loves snow it was unbelievable. I'm sure we will see something synoptically similar to 12/26, someday, but what are the chances that my specific location is hammered the most out of anywhere? Probably zero.

I don't know, that bright orange dot over Ocean County might be a little bigger than yours. ;)NJSnow_20101226.gif

Archived