joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ALEET ALEET December 7-8 Snow Threat

am19psu

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensemble mean snow swath is NW of the op. 2" isohyet right on I-95 from DCA to TTN, then all of N NJ/NYC/SNE get 2-4. Back into PA, 2" isohyet goes JST-AOO-MDT-SEG-IPT-NW of AVP... still like my idea of flurries on the backside for I-95 with heaviest snow swath from LNS-ABE for our area.

Euro ensemble mean snow swath is NW of the op. 2" isohyet right on I-95 from DCA to TTN, then all of N NJ/NYC/SNE get 2-4. Back into PA, 2" isohyet goes JST-AOO-MDT-SEG-IPT-NW of AVP... still like my idea of flurries on the backside for I-95 with heaviest snow swath from LNS-ABE for our area.

Lock it up. :snowwindow:

I think it's a given this will be a high QPF event with the southern stream tapping into the Gulf. It's just a question of what the p-type will be.

I'm not sold on high QPF. Most of the mechanisms that generate uplift are weakening after around 0z Thursday and the shortwave is embedded in a fairly fast flow. It looks like a moderate QPF event to me (maybe isolated 1" plus, esp so the SE). However, a few of the GEFs members from 12z delayed the weakening/deamplification of the shortwave, even developing a closed contour at 500mb near the Delmarva. Such a scenario would probably result in at least short lived high precipitation intensity.

I'm not sold on high QPF. Most of the mechanisms that generate uplift are weakening after around 0z Thursday and the shortwave is embedded in a fairly fast flow. It looks like a moderate QPF event to me (maybe isolated 1" plus, esp so the SE). However, a few of the GEFs members from 12z delayed the weakening/deamplification of the shortwave, even developing a closed contour at 500mb near the Delmarva. Such a scenario would probably result in at least short lived high precipitation intensity.

With the influx of moisture from the Gulf, I suspect we'll see a widespread 1"+ event. I guess it depends on you definition from there whether that is "high QPF" or not.

Anybody see the clown map for the 12z NAM? That woke me up!

Yes, but is it believable? I say probably- Its the pearl harbor day snow attack Glen.(see my blog predicted in Sept) People still remember Halloween here in the LV where it was canceled for many municipalities because of no power. Their will be a run to the store not for bread but for generators and batteries. People were without power for four days. They will need reassurance that this will not happen again. I am sure you guys at NBC can offer them this reassurance.

http://msiegelweatherman.blogspot.com/

Archived