joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ALEET ALEET December 7-8 Snow Threat

am19psu

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z NAM starting to get into its wheelhouse. Couldn't post the clown map but a solid hit.

6-8

It's still outside of 48 hours. ;)

The NAM has a wheelhouse? In all seriousness, I wouldn't use the old NAM outside of 24 hours and only for dynamic events (like this has a chance to be). I don't know how much they've improved the NAM with this latest iteration, but judging by the way B_I talks about it, I wouldn't guess very much.

The NAM has a wheelhouse? In all seriousness, I wouldn't use the old NAM outside of 24 hours and only for dynamic events (like this has a chance to be). I don't know how much they've improved the NAM with this latest iteration, but judging by the way B_I talks about it, I wouldn't guess very much.

I'm pretty leery about using the NAM at any point outside of 36, myself...

Yes, kinda, but from a snow path aspect, not from a destructive aspect.

Leaves were the issue for the generators humming, not the snow alone.

I think that tomorrow by 12z we should have a good idea with the nam slipping into its "comfort" zone

This is an important point to be made and I should of thought of that before I posted that. I am thinking more from a dynamic cooling perspective after a great deal of warmth in the area (where people will laugh at those of us in this forum for telling them it's going to snow).

This has that same path/dynamic going on, but with no leaves, you just need snow plows and not power company trucks (I think...). Important distinction and I thank you for pointing it out/correcting me...

This is an important point to be made and I should of thought of that before I posted that. I am thinking more from a dynamic cooling perspective after a great deal of warmth in the area (where people will laugh at those of us in this forum for telling them it's going to snow).

This has that same path/dynamic going on, but with no leaves, you just need snow plows and not power company trucks (I think...). Important distinction and I thank you for pointing it out/correcting me...

This storm will be nothing like the last one power issue wise. No leaves on trees now, plus the snow will not be as heavy and wet. Only thing that could rival that, would be one hell of a windstorm, and I don't see that happening.

wasn't the GFS significantly too warm on the last storm?

not trying to be a weenie here, but shouldn't we be using caution on the gfs thermal profiles?

either way, looks like this system (to my dismay) is gonna be juicy..

Yeah, but the Euro was pretty good and it's pretty warm right now, too. The BL is my only concern with this system right now.

wasn't the GFS significantly too warm on the last storm?

not trying to be a weenie here, but shouldn't we be using caution on the gfs thermal profiles?

either way, looks like this system (to my dismay) is gonna be juicy..

Yeah, but the Euro was pretty good and it's pretty warm right now, too. The BL is my only concern with this system right now.

The Euro and GFS both had snow at some point around the region about 5 days out. Euro was more "right" than the GFS though overall with it.

i figured as much. No doubt there's gonna be issues with the boundry layer towards the coast. But after that gfs debacle, i'd be more inclined to go with the euro temps.

rain/snow has been introduced into the P&C forecast for philly burbs..

and from mt.holly @ 347pm afd:

THERE STILL REMAINS A DECENT CHANCE THAT ENOUGH

COLD AIR WILL MAKE IT INTO THE REGION AS THE LOW STARTS TO PULL AWAY

ON THURSDAY BUT WITH THE INCONSISTENCY IN THE MODELS IT IS DIFFICULT

TO DETERMINE JUST HOW MUCH MAY OR MAY NOT FALL AS SNOW. ESPECIALLY

AS IT LOOKS LIKE THE BULK OF THE PRECIPITATION FALLS BEFORE THE COLD

AIR QUITE MAKES IT TO THE REGION. HOWEVER, WE DO MENTION A MIX OF

SNOW FROM AROUND THE I-95 CORRIDOR NORTHWARD

http://www.americanw...ost__p__1056318

The Euro and GFS both had snow at some point around the region about 5 days out. Euro was more "right" than the GFS though overall with it.

The 12z run Friday Euro snow accumulation prog was pretty close to what accumulated. Going by that standard that would be its night run tomorrow night. (00z Wed run).

BTW off the 00z 500 mb analysis and their 6-12hr fcsts the euro looked better with the trof in the northern plains, the gfs in the southern Rockies, either locale "not the nam".

The 12z run Friday Euro snow accumulation prog was pretty close to what accumulated. Going by that standard that would be its night run tomorrow night. (00z Wed run).

BTW off the 00z 500 mb analysis and their 6-12hr fcsts the euro looked better with the trof in the northern plains, the gfs in the southern Rockies, either locale "not the nam".

Yeah, I don't put too much thought into the NAM until at least within 36 hours.

going off the new nam, the city changes over between hr 54-57, with atleast .1 of frozen...up by abe they change over between 51-54...again, this is going to be an elevation/ distance awy from the city type storm.

Maybe similar to the October storm? I didn't make out badly with that one.

my thinking at this point --

Philly gets a coating at the Airport, a couple of inches in Mount Airy)

N & W, Trenton get 1-3

Red Sky, Quakertown, and Chescowx get 3-4

Mike2010 gets 4-7

(Trappe/Collegeville's snowfall observers will report two inches more than whatever reality is. :lol:)

N & W, Trenton get 1-3

Mike2010 gets 4-7

(Trappe/Collegeville's snowfall observers will report two inches more than whatever reality is. :lol:)

That's where my head is as well. Pocs, Berkshires, Central Apps (EDIT: and NNE - go eek.) big winners. I-95 sees a coating, decent accums in the western burbs.

N & W, Trenton get 1-3

Mike2010 gets 4-7

That's where my head is as well. Pocs, Berkshires, Central Apps (EDIT: and NNE - go eek.) big winners. I-95 sees a coating, decent accums in the western burbs.

totally agree, this is going to be oct snowstorm but not as significant of snow accums. Anytime when boundary layer issues are around the city does poor. Anyone within 10 miles of the city and below 200 ft prob wont get much. Every 5 miles once past 10 miles from the city west or north of the city or gain of 50 ft of elev imho tack a half inch of snow on.

Archived