northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Potential 12/8 Event Discussion Part I

earthlight

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is not really more amplified, but 3 hours faster than the 18z. Compare the graphs and you can see that at 9 hours apart, they are pretty similar. THere are some differences in the trough orientation, but its not as pronounced as I originally thought

Yeah, looks like its a bit more amped than 18z and exactly 3 hours faster.....odd

All the guidance has caught onto something today. I suspect the GGEM and Euro will follow suit. The UK was already amplified, west, and warm.

If the rest of tonight's suite comes in west, I'm throwing in the towel for NYC and east. The west trend in these kind of +NAO, no blocking regimes is almost never denied. I'd say the best shot at good snow (4-8") is roughly the I-81 corridor, Poconos and Catskills. Maybe up to the western suburbs get swiped by the snow at the end.

Guess nobody else likes the gfs. Doesnt look half bad.

It looks good to me. Heavy precip just southest of I-95 with moderate QPF along and to the immediate NW. Looks like a thin band of moderate snow. A GFS/NAM compromise would work out favorably and whiten the ground for most people here.

It looks like it's rain to snow for the NYC area. Surface temps are warm though. Not worried about that just yet. There will most likely be more changes throughout the day tomorrow.

Surface temps start warm but def cool off some. At this point though, a period of wet snow would make me more than happy.

So would this be partly snow for the cities even with surface temp issues? I'm concerned that it won't accumulate much if it snows.

That's a concern if the precip doesn't come down heavy enough or the temps don't drop at all. A small shift west like many have said will give the City mostly rain and a small shift east will give the City less precip and more colder weather.

Surface temps start warm but def cool off some. At this point though, a period of wet snow would make me more than happy.

Same here

Yes I know but I am staying positive.. :)

Why? Surface temps stay above freezing in NYC for the entire event duration on both the nam and gfs. In fact, well above freezing the bulk of the precip. Have a party with that.

It's hard to tell what happens between 48-60. It looks like a rain to snow situation for the area.

54hr the 0C 850 is right over NYC so most likely RA at that point. There's about 0.25" after that so not much in the way accums taken literally, but of course it's a GEFS mean.

Pretty much every model has trended faster with the shortwave itself, and is allowing less cold air penetration into the mid and low levels before the storm approaches. The ridging being stronger ahead of the system is not helping either. The dynamic snow solutions that almost got to the NYC area on the 12 and 18z NAM runs will never happen if this trend is correct.

We need to see a slower or less amplified trend over the next few model cycles--or more than likely this event will end up as a few inches over the higher elevations and the potential for a few flakes at the end for the rest of us.

Pretty much every model has trended faster with the shortwave itself, and is allowing less cold air penetration into the mid and low levels before the storm approaches. The ridging being stronger ahead of the system is not helping either. The dynamic snow solutions that almost got to the NYC area on the 12 and 18z NAM runs will never happen if this trend is correct.

We need to see a slower or less amplified trend over the next few model cycles--or more than likely this event will end up as a few inches over the higher elevations and the potential for a few flakes at the end for the rest of us.

If only we had some blocking in the Davis straight or to our NE...this is a good example of why blocking is so nice...it can repel these types of trends very easily.

Archived