joxey
FAILDC#

Ji

yep, I fooked up

that's the Dolly Sods pic

but you certain about the 4"?

where did you get your reports?

P.S.: if it was, it must have melted from the sun, temps and high water content

I got it from the Blacksburg WFO. It came from some spotter in the neighboring county.

EDIT:

Location: PARSONS Local Date: 12/07/2011 Local Time: 7:14 PM EST County: TUCKER State: WV Source: PUBLIC Magnitude: E5.0 INCH Comments: LOTS OF POWER OUTAGES IN PRESTON AND TUCKER COUNTIES

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verification map:

20111207-08_MAsnow_comparison.png

Quite a trying forecast, but overall it wasn't a complete loss. Verified the mountain areas and highest totals pretty well, but the more heavily populated areas left much to be desired. Looking back, I could have been less generous with the 2-4" range in northern MD and southeastern PA, but other than that and bringing the 1" cut-off further north in MD I don't see much that I could have done to change my overall thinking for this event.

Going to be a little generous and give myself a C- overall, though it wouldn't take much convincing to push that to a D+ considering the bust in south-central/southeastern PA and MD and the western edge of the snowfall.

Your eyes are deceiving you. Canaan Valley area got more snow than Snowshoe (as usual).

See http://www.wundergro...th.asp?state=WV

I measured 8.8" here in the town of Davis. Only 4" at Snowshoe.

the mts certainly cashed in

but again, once off the mt ridges, it wasn't much

look at all the traces once off the Garrett Co plateau (the name of it escapes me) on this NWS map

http://www.erh.noaa....vents/snowmaps/

even Frostburg only had 1"!

Yup...glad I didn't go out. Probably would have pushed the Jeep further than it should be going at this point (needs a new motor). Got zero here with the October Surprise (although 2" fell just 5 miles north of me in Clarksburg). This storm produced zero for me as well. Not even flakes within the rain. I'm only a two or three air miles to Mark's work...so I'm wondering if my neighborhood has a little bit of a heat island. It's weird, cause our elevation is decent (400ft).

Your eyes are deceiving you. Canaan Valley area got more snow than Snowshoe (as usual).

See http://www.wundergro...th.asp?state=WV

I measured 8.8" here in the town of Davis. Only 4" at Snowshoe.

I have observed that 90 percent of the time this is true, yet Snowshoe lists their average snowfall higher then Wintergreen. Are they just flat out lying?

I have observed that 90 percent of the time this is true, yet Snowshoe lists their average snowfall higher then Wintergreen. Are they just flat out lying?

Wintergreen gets 34" a year average. Snowshoe almost already has that this season.

Wintergreen gets 34" a year average. Snowshoe almost already has that this season.

I think he meant Canaan...

Wintergreen (3,900') is nearly 1,000 feet lower than Snowshoe (4,800'). Snowshoe is also significantly further west of Wintergreen and often cashes in big on events like yesterday where cold air reaches them in time for a changeover whereas Wintergreen frequently misses out on events like that (although, they did receive enough to cover the ground yesterday). Further, the entirety of Wintergreen's natural snow comes from synoptic setups whereas Snowshoe will often receive significant quantities of lake effect.

I think he meant Canaan...

Wintergreen (3,900') is nearly 1,000 feet lower than Snowshoe (4,800'). Snowshoe is also significantly further west of Wintergreen and often cashes in big on events like yesterday where cold air reaches them in time for a changeover whereas Wintergreen frequently misses out on events like that (although, they did receive enough to cover the ground yesterday). Further, the entirety of Wintergreen's natural snow comes from synoptic setups whereas Snowshoe will often receive significant quantities of lake effect.

Yea went there 2-3 years ago in early December and they had just gotten over 2 feet from upslope while here it was sunny.

According to a quick interwebs search, Canaan Valley averages around 160" to Snowshoe's 180".

Its a little deceiving. Snowshoe measures their snowfall at the top of the mountain at over 4700'. Whereas, Canaan measures theirs at the base of the mountain around 3200'. I also think that Snowshoe's is a little inflated with Canaan's being pretty close to accurate. It would be interesting to know what Canaan would measure at their summits of 4300 to 4500' range -- I've heard guesses of over 200".

An interesting measuring stick has been the relatively new Coop station on Canaan Mountain (Davis 3SE, or Canaan Heights) at about 3700'. That station has only been observing since around 2002, but I don't think that Snowshoe has had more than one season in that time with more snow -- and I believe that the 2008-09 winter had the Canaan Heights station measuring over 50" more.

the mts certainly cashed in

but again, once off the mt ridges, it wasn't much

look at all the traces once off the Garrett Co plateau (the name of it escapes me) on this NWS map

http://www.erh.noaa....vents/snowmaps/

even Frostburg only had 1"!

in case you were wondering, that NWS link is not direct to yesterday's storm; you have to go to the "20111208" event on the drop down

Its a little deceiving. Snowshoe measures their snowfall at the top of the mountain at over 4700'. Whereas, Canaan measures theirs at the base of the mountain around 3200'. I also think that Snowshoe's is a little inflated with Canaan's being pretty close to accurate. It would be interesting to know what Canaan would measure at their summits of 4300 to 4500' range -- I've heard guesses of over 200".

An interesting measuring stick has been the relatively new Coop station on Canaan Mountain (Davis 3SE, or Canaan Heights) at about 3700'. That station has only been observing since around 2002, but I don't think that Snowshoe has had more than one season in that time with more snow -- and I believe that the 2008-09 winter had the Canaan Heights station measuring over 50" more.

Also, Canaan Heights COOP measures frequently so compaction is not as much as Snowshoe which seems to just stick a ruler in the ground based on what I've seen in their FB posts. You're probably right that the higher areas of Canaan and areas like the roaring plains exceed that because a commonly stated figure in the ski world is that more than 200 in is required in this general latitude to have a base during the winter months which happens at some point almost every year in the WV highlands.

Archived