• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part IV

TheTrials

Big difference between a cool down for a few days and a real pattern change. Originally i though the high lattitude blocking would return end of November per the three month cycle we had been seeing, but its gone the other way. No, looking at the models, there are no signs of a real pattern change, and the forcing mechanisms such as MJO back this up, along with the activity of the sun.

Now we see even the PAC breaks down which is what is helping us cool off so if you lose the PAC, we are going to torch.

Jumping up and down because we cool off is cute and all but if you are looking for snow and sustained cold, there are no indications its around the corner.

That doesnt mean there won't be a snow showers, or post frontal snow, or a SWFE, but any proclamations of intense cold or big snow storms are fantasy for at least three weeks.

so we have you saying no cold for 3 weeks and JB saying x-mas 83 cold on the table....:whistle:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big difference between a cool down for a few days and a real pattern change. Originally i though the high lattitude blocking would return end of November per the three month cycle we had been seeing, but its gone the other way. No, looking at the models, there are no signs of a real pattern change, and the forcing mechanisms such as MJO back this up, along with the activity of the sun.

Now we see even the PAC breaks down which is what is helping us cool off so if you lose the PAC, we are going to torch.

Jumping up and down because we cool off is cute and all but if you are looking for snow and sustained cold, there are no indications its around the corner.

That doesnt mean there won't be a snow showers, or post frontal snow, or a SWFE, but any proclamations of intense cold or big snow storms are fantasy for at least three weeks.

Most stress in this life is getting upset things you can't control..I wish I was god and could control the weather,but i cant,so I take what I can get..to get upset at a computer run isn't gonna make it different..at least we won't be driving on icy roads..I don't know, there is always a positive for everything.

i think most of us know this Trials...its kinda hard to just slam on the brakes and turn to a superior pattern after a real crappy one. but a few cool shots is nice to see but moreso the real crappy pattern looks to be fading, albeit slowly and transitionally.and there is nothing to indicate that the real crappy pattern returns for good so to make the argument that the cool shots last only a few days and we return to a warm pattern is just as false as saying a good pattern is coming soon.

Most stress in this life is getting upset things you can't control..I wish I was god and could control the weather,but i cant,so I take what I can get..to get upset at a computer run isn't gonna make it different..at least we won't be driving on icy roads..I don't know, there is always a positive for everything.

I'm not upset, but if people are looking for realistic forecasts and opinions, this is mine. I am cool either way, both in who listens to me and what we get for weather.

I caution those who get easily dissapointed and upset when things dont break cold and snowy to be very careful who they believe with the forecast through December.

I don't expect that there will be any KU or even major snow events for the NYC metro area this winter (sooner or later it HAD to happen!), I do expect we'll see 2 or 3 moderate events though and wind up somewhere near 15-20 inches. The NAO if you ask me is a lost cause at this point, I am not as convinced about the AO however, there is a possibility it will go negative at some point in January and may stay there for a sizeable portion of the remainder of the winter thereafter. The NAO however I feel will spend most if not virtually all of the Dec 1 -Mar 1 period in the positive phase.

i think most of us know this Trials...its kinda hard to just slam on the brakes and turn to a superior pattern after a real crappy one. but a few cool shots is nice to see but moreso the real crappy pattern looks to be fading, albeit slowly and transitionally.

I think there are more than a few who see the cool down and think big storms and winter are here. Im happy we are cooling down too, regardless of my six iron, its winter time, not summer time, but putting snow goggles and weenies aside, my honest opinion is we have three weeks, at a minimum, to see substantial changes, and its very possible we get uber warm around the 15th, like HM says.

Maybe not 20, but November '01-Feb '02 were all 5 degrees or greater than normal (Dec-Jan were +7)

I was just talking about the torch temps.....truth is pattern is changing to temps at or just above normal.....but not a great pattern for snow.....what happens mid month is up for grabs.....but early indications are mild.

This is a good post.

i get your points Trials, i do.

and you know im a joker so please take my posts with a light tone.

I am totally cool with all your points and your tone. This is a place for disco, not group think.

I only have issues with one poster, and I choose to rise above that.

You all know the second I see a real threat I am going to honk and will post euro maps, talk about blocking scream at Noreaster27, etc etc.

yea come on now...trials isnt being a weenie. his snow goggles are off and hes being logical. i, and some others, were just teasing how depressing his posts have been since he found his golf game, etc. lol.

but lets not spew nonsense now.

keep it real folks!

I want snow man, a lot of it. But I can't lie to you all, i want your respect.

And I have played plenty of golf dont need any more right now.

btw way off topic....i think im the last 30 something year old to get a smartphone. i had the prototype samsung flip phone for what seems like decades and finally moved up to the iphone 4s.

so, what kind of weather apps can i get for this thing? im an unemployed poker player on a downswing so the cheaper the better lol...free would be awesome too...

this is the kind of logic i can support.

Realistically speaking though the pattern is certainly better than what we have seen in November. Whether transient or not it's going to get colder but the models offer no hope for a sustained pattern change the next 2-3 weeks. We have a lot of fixing to do and it starts with the AO and NAO. Until we see changes with those teleconnectors, it's going to be a boring pattern. I say if things don't look good by the 20th looking out into the long range, the first half of the winter will be in serious trouble.

btw way off topic....i think im the last 30 something year old to get a smartphone. i had the prototype samsung flip phone for what seems like decades and finally moved up to the iphone 4s.

so, what kind of weather apps can i get for this thing? im an unemployed poker player on a downswing so the cheaper the better lol...free would be awesome too...

AG3 and Sundog and Earthlight will hook you up with Iphone stuff, they are all fan boys.

Also, there is a good thread in OT on the phone.

Archived