gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part IV

TheTrials

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they both pretty much suck for different reasons, just different versions of suckage and suckiness.

The EC does not suck. It shows near normal here, with cold really building up by Hudson Bay, probably getting ready to head SE. The GFS on the other hand, shows a massive -PNA with a torch here and no hope of getting cold.

The EC does not suck. It shows near normal here, with cold really building up by Hudson Bay, probably getting ready to head SE. The GFS on the other hand, shows a massive -PNA with a torch here and no hope of getting cold.

ec sucks because that pattern breaks down on day 11 and is exact opposite of the nice pattern it showed yesterday

ec sucks because that pattern breaks down on day 11 and is exact opposite of the nice pattern it showed yesterday

I don't know if that pattern really SHOULD break down, based on that map. Don't analyze an 11-day map literally. The EC looks very Dec 1993ish, while the GFS looks very Dec 2001ish.

I don't know if that pattern really SHOULD break down, based on that map. Don't analyze an 11-day map literally. The EC looks very Dec 1993ish, while the GFS looks very Dec 2001ish.

Well, its a bit better than that. Dec 2001 averaged +8 to +10 over states like MN and WI. The forecast by the GFS through 12/15 would make it a virtual impossibility for them to reach that plateau unless the final 15 days of the month blow torched. December 1996 was more what I thought the GFS was showing.

Laughable differences with 12z. Gfs is a joke of a model for the medium and long range.

Its useful for trends if it shows trhe same general thing run to run in the long range beyond Day 10 but its a pretty bad model 140-240 hours overall compared to the Euro. Its very odd that the 12Z run was off the track compared to this run and most of the previous ones.

Insane differences with 12z. Quite pathetic if u ask me.

18z is average to below average from day 7-15 with a barrage of swfe events days 10-15.

The 06Z run showed that sort of thing as well. This could be the JB theory at work that the 06 and 18Z runs of the GFS are better at forecasting the long range Day 8 or 10 and beyond because the model has less data to work with and confuse itself so to speak.

1322693533[/url]' post='1155405']

The 06Z run showed that sort of thing as well. This could be the JB theory at work that the 06 and 18Z runs of the GFS are better at forecasting the long range Day 8 or 10 and beyond because the model has less data to work with and confuse itself so to speak.

18z is better then 6z overall though. 18z if real, would keep us pretty cold days 10 and beyond and average days 7-10.

With a couple shots at mixing type swfe events.

So more accuracy with less data? Sounds like BS to me.

Archived