12bet1 net
Multiple earthquakes felt across Oklahoma, region

janetjanet998

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe that to be the Tulsa area?

Nope, it is by the epicenter.

Lincoln County is a county located in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The population as of 2010 was 34,273.[2]

It is part of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Statistical Area.[3] Its county seat is Chandler[4].

The center of population of Oklahoma is located in Lincoln County, in the town of Sparks

The KJRH article updated to include damage reports including collapsed chimneys and walls.

Lincoln County Emergency Management is reporting significant damage in the southern parts of the county. In some cases chimneys have collapsed through the roofs of homes. Damage to the Prague library includes collapsed air condition ducts and a collapsed wall.

Several roadways have buckled, including Highway 62 and other county roads.

Read more: http://www.kjrh.com/...a#ixzz1ctqAJjag

I even felt it all the way over here. (I'm near the Arkansas line west of Fort Smith.) I was at the computer, and I could feel the table tremble under my hand that was on the mouse. I had a box of crackers next to me and watched them wobble. Of course, if I'd been up moving around I probably wouldn't have noticed at all, it was very light movement. Just considering how far I am from the epicenter, that was nuts. A first for me.

I even felt it all the way over here. (I'm near the Arkansas line west of Fort Smith.) I was at the computer, and I could feel the table tremble under my hand that was on the mouse. I had a box of crackers next to me and watched them wobble. Of course, if I'd been up moving around I probably wouldn't have noticed at all, it was very light movement. Just considering how far I am from the epicenter, that was nuts. A first for me.

I've got to say, I was freaking out a little bit. I heard the house creak once, then I heard a rumbling sound, which sounded like the tornado, then a couple more creaks, and I looked down at the bottle of water on my desk and it was shaking back and forth pretty quickly so I suspected it was an earthquake but I looked outside just in case to check the winds, lol Guess I have a little PTSD or something from that, heh.

There is a fault that this is on. It's called the Wilzetta fault, or Seminole uplift. Extends 55 miles ENE from OKC area.

Mentioned here:

http://www.appliedge...ShaleShaker.pdf

There's got to be some sort of fault to release such a large amount of energy. Continental plates are comprised of many different sub-plates, and that's where intra-continental earthquakes come from.

It's curious that both the DC quake and this big OK earthquake have occurred this year.

Probably related to all of the hydraulic fracturing down there. I was reading my hometown paper the other day and they had an article about 7 earthquakes that have occured since March within a 2 mile radius of a fracking waste deep-injection well. And I also read an article from the UK linking an earthquake swarm to fracking ops.

Probably related to all of the hydraulic fracturing down there. I was reading my hometown paper the other day and they had an article about 7 earthquakes that have occured since March within a 2 mile radius of a fracking waste deep-injection well. And I also read an article from the UK linking an earthquake swarm to fracking ops.

I personally find it difficult to believe that fracking would cause an earthquake of that magnitude. The quakes you are referring you are so small that no one would realistically feel them.

I know some people are going to say "well 5.6 isn't a big deal". Well in CA it wouldn't be, but building codes are more stringent and structures are designed to handle larger amount of earthquake related motion there. Takes less shaking to cause the same amount of damage in areas without those same standards.

We had a quick shake even up here shortly after it was felt down there. I was at a friends house in Rock Island, IL. across the river. The house made a couple of quick creaking noises and the door to a computer room swung quickly back and forth- moving about an inch back and forth for a few seconds and that was it. But you could also feel the ground beneath us giving a quick shake and in a matter of seconds it was done. There were six of us in the room watching a movie and we all looked at each other with a spooked wtf look. Just hit me what it was we felt as I was reading this.

I just remember feeling the one we had here in Northern Illinois last April I believe it was around 4am. That one I heard the rumble off in the distance and it shot thru here then the shaking started and then it was over. Felt like a big truck driving through my apartment...very similar to the one I felt back in the Summer of 1988 I believe it was, that was centered down by Lawerenceville IL. That was about a 6.3 I think.

I personally find it difficult to believe that fracking would cause an earthquake of that magnitude. The quakes you are referring you are so small that no one would realistically feel them.

I know some people are going to say "well 5.6 isn't a big deal". Well in CA it wouldn't be, but building codes are more stringent and structures are designed to handle larger amount of earthquake related motion there. Takes less shaking to cause the same amount of damage in areas without those same standards.

That.

A couple of dozen diesel powered pump trucks can't generate the energy for a large earthquake felt in a multi-state region. Lots of bad info put out by people opposed to American energy independence.

Ed, I don't think fracturing itself has enough energy, no. But it is more like releasing pent up geological forces. The hydraulic fracturing just sets it off. I really don't see how it's a problem though. Small earthquakes don't hurt anyone.

If the pent up forces are big enough for a Mag 5.6, the earthquake was coming eventually...

The fracking debate came up here after the Mineral VA quake in the summer. Seems most geologists dismiss it. Though there also does seem to be evidence that fracking can help trigger smaller quakes.

Similar to this area, size of quake is about as high as you want to see with the building codes. We had similar types of damage.

You know, except for the fact that they fell on a known fault line.

You know, except for the fact that they fell on a known fault line.

Fracking can destabilize fault lines. The mechanism is thought to be lubrication of the plate junction by the fracking fluids that are injected at high pressure into the ground. There have literally been tons of anomalous earthquakes since fracking has become more widespread. Do a little research -- I would agree with you if this was an isolated incident. But there have been an alarming increase in anomalous quakes across the eastern and central US. I'm not pro- or anti-fracking and I had no idea it could cause earthquakes until I read in the local paper about an unprecedented series of earthquakes just a couple weeks ago. But if it has the capability of producing damaging earthquakes, then there certainly needs to be some regulation to prevent the threat. There's not a lot of scholarly research on this yet, because fracking is only now starting to become a widespread practice in many areas. But there's plenty of evidence out there to suggest that it is causing quakes. See the Guardian article I posted below.

These earthquakes occurred not far from my hometown. Seven in the last eight months -- there had never been an earthquake recorded there before. All within a 2-mile radius of a newly opened well! http://www.ohio.com/...gstown-1.243261

Record or near record earthquakes in Colorado, Virginia, Oklahoma, and South Texas. All states where fracking is prevalent. A swarm of thousands of earthquakes in Arkansas over the past couple of years, including some of moderate intensity, centered around a heavily fracked fault line. Come on, folks. Put two and two together -- there's tons of mounting evidence that earthquakes are being caused by fracking. A simple Google search turns up tons of news articles and other sources discussing the issue. And I don't understand how people can say fracking causes small earthquakes, but is incapable of causing strong earthquakes. Do you have any evidence for that? It's not the energy from the drill or fractured rock that's causing the quakes -- it's the lubrication of existing faults!

http://www.woai.com/...VBW8ycy7Ng.cspx.

Long works for Osborn Heirs, a local compnay that specializes in oil and gas exploration and development

“I usually get here early. At about 7:24 I noticed that the blinds, we have metal blinds here, they started shaking and rattling -- and I did feel a slight sway in the room," recalled Long.

The earthquake only lasted a few seconds.

"I looked on the map and it turns out it's right in the middle of an existing oil field, Fashing Field, which has had earthquakes over the last 40 or 50 years,” explained Long.

According to Long, the oil field has been around since the mid 1950's. A lot of drilling has gone on since then, and coincidentally, there have been a handful of earthquakes over the years.

“Starting in 1973 it had an earthquake that registered at a 3.0, and then in 1984 it had an earthquake that registered about 3.5 or so,” said Long.

In Long’s expert opinion, it's very possible the earthquake is a result of the disposal of fracking fluids.

“I know the previous earthquakes were tied almost without a doubt with drawing fluids out of the ground, and I’m not sure how much fluid is being withdrawn from that field right now, but they are injecting fluid into the ground with these frack jobs,” added Long.

All this is being done over a fault that has mostly been inactive, but with the recent boom of fracking in the area Long says it appears the fault was forced to awaken and caused a shake up.

http://www.guardian....ncashire-quakes

Two earthquake tremors in north-west England earlier this year were probably caused by controversial operations to extract gas nearby, a report by the company responsible has concluded.

The two tremors - magnitude 2.3 and 1.5 - which were felt by people just outside Blackpool, but did not cause any known damage, were reported in April and May. Since the second event, Cuadrilla Resources has stopped "fracking" operations – where water and chemicals are injected into rocks at high pressure to extract gas from the cracks.

Archived