amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Capital Weather Gang 2011-12 Winter Outlook

Deck Pic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope I bust low...I think we will have to get lucky or hope Nina isn't a big factor....

yeah, that's why I don't even bother to do a forecast

no matter what I may forecast, my snow bias would always shine through and I would always want to bust low

to be a tortured snow weenie through winters such as 72/74, 80/81, 91/92 and 01/02 only to have also experienced winters of mid the 60's, late 70's, 95/96, 02/03 and 09/10, will fook up your mind

I feel really good about your forecast.

If it works as well as your forecast for last week, we've got it made.

Historic winter coming up.

Dude I didn't bust in my backyeard. NWS said 4-8" I said expect nothing, I got maybe 1.5" or 2" on grassy areas, so I was more accurate than NWS.

. NWS would have verified if it stayed snow after the changeover.

I read the Capital Gangs winter forecast 2011-2012 the other day. BRAVO on there forecast. They did a wonderful job. Typical La Nina forecast. One thing that sticks out to me is originally Mets were thinking a med-strong La Nina. Now it looks like a weak La Nina. That actually will play a better role for snow for us. That is for the snow lovers. I have never been to crazy about winter. But what can I do anyways. Spring is only 5+ months away.

Kudos to the Capital Weather Gang. Solid forecast, and resonable for the airports.

On a side note, my winter forecast is looking golden as well (especially if the October 29th event is any indication)

The areas N & W of DC were the "jackpot". The Northern Shenandoah Valley got a solid 5-6 inches and amounts tapered off the further S & E you went. This is what you should expect this winter and it will be in line with a more "traditional" winter as you see the snowfall amount maps are produced.

I-81 this will be an eventful and enjoyable winter.

I-95 you guys can drive N & W to see the snow.

Kudos to the Capital Weather Gang. Solid forecast, and resonable for the airports.

On a side note, my winter forecast is looking golden as well (especially if the October 29th event is any indication)

The areas N & W of DC were the "jackpot". The Northern Shenandoah Valley got a solid 5-6 inches and amounts tapered off the further S & E you went. This is what you should expect this winter and it will be in line with a more "traditional" winter as you see the snowfall amount maps are produced.

I think philly and nyc will be ok with snow although the burbs there will also have alot more.

wut da hell??

I think philly and nyc will be ok with snow although the burbs there will also have alot more.

Thats called climo.

Worst post ever

christ-o-mighty

Might as well hug the hourly CFS now :wub:http://www.woeurope....E=-&WMO=&ZOOM=0

Early part of the run isn't great with warmth flooding the contiguous 48 in early December, but a massive GL storm and the movement of the PV into our hemisphere bodes for a chilly middle to end of the the month.

CAUTION! CARE SHOULD BE USED WHEN USING THIS MODEL

:lol:

I was familiar with 43/44 and 44/45 for DC, but just checked those seasons for Baltimore-- ha!. A similar echo of either of those two winters would cause a subforum meltdown, on the scale of the Philly/NYC split.

yes...quite the gradient....Those 2 are very loose analogs...during the period when we were switching to a -PDO regime but not quite there yet.....This winter should have much more of a -PNA look....and enso will be more of a factor.....They were Nina hangover winters and but think the guidance as far as temps/snow with those winters is decent....we should do better snow wise than both...

I've never understood the "Nino hangover" thing. The atmosphere is what initiates and drives ENSO after all, it is ENSO in a sense, so what would be causing a supposed hangover?

Changes in subsurface anomalies can only truly result from a change in the amount of incoming shortwave radiation into the oceans, and that is linked to the global wind and pressure budget causing changes in cloud and surface wind patterns altering upwelling/downwelling, and all of that follows the geomag sun disturbance level almost to a tee.

Thats why I think La Ninas like 1999/00 and 2010/11 were polar opposites both following strong Nino's, the geomagnetic disruption that occured years earlier one remained active with pressuring while the other did not. Am I missing something?

1321242382[/url]' post='1116559']

I've never understood the "Nino hangover" thing. The atmosphere is what initiates and drives ENSO after all, it is ENSO in a sense, so what would be causing a supposed hangover?

Changes in subsurface anomalies can only truly result from a change in the amount of incoming shortwave radiation into the oceans, and that is linked to the global wind and pressure budget causing changes in cloud and surface wind patterns altering upwelling/downwelling, and all of that follows the geomag sun disturbance level almost to a tee.

Thats why I think La Ninas like 1999/00 and 2010/11 were polar opposites both following strong Nino's, the geomagnetic disruption that occured years earlier one remained active with pressuring while the other did not. Am I missing something?

The term is meant to be taken very loosely but in the means neutral winters and weaker enso winters tend to take on some of the characteristics of the prior enso state......1998-99/2010-11 aren't good examples of a "hangover" since enso flipped and was fairly strong in both cases.

The term is meant to be taken very loosely but in the means neutral winters and weaker enso winters tend to take on some of the characteristics of the prior enso state......1998-99/2010-11 aren't good examples of a "hangover" since enso flipped and was fairly strong in both cases.

Oh ok, so 2008/09 might be a good example of a "hangover" year after 2007/08? Makes some sense with SST reflective memory? In that case 2010/11 was a Nina but behaved like the preceding Nino in some ways except in both cases (1999 and 2011) the common aspect to the preceding ENSO was the blocking state, and 1997/98, 1998/99, and 1999/00 were all sh*tty years for blocking, then 2000/01 unexpectedly changed regime.

So I guess my big question is whether you think the connection to previous ENSO's is truly ENSO-based or "blocking"-based? If it were blocking based maybe it fits with the geomag sun hypothesis since the sequence there is evident, but if there is correlation found in the QBO/MJO connection it might be more SST memory based? In that case I can't figure out how it'd last more than 1 year after the ENSO change?

Archived