amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Capital Weather Gang 2011-12 Winter Outlook

Deck Pic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very reasonable for a Nina winter around here....this kind of forecast will verify more on the right side more often than not for the DC area regardless of ENSO in my opinion....not saying it is easy or plug and play but it is definitely the safe/realistic common sense way to go

Very reasonable for a Nina winter around here....this kind of forecast will verify more on the right side more often than not for the DC area regardless of ENSO in my opinion....not saying it is easy or plug and play but it is definitely the safe/realistic common sense way to go

im still not sure why NOAA got a hard time for their outlook around here. it's pretty similar if you look past the equal chances stuff.

im still not sure why NOAA got a hard time for their outlook around here. it's pretty similar if you look past the equal chances stuff.

I think uncertainty is super high this winter....The talented people I consult for advice this time every year were all more uncertain than in years past....so I am happy with the numbers....we know the PDO will be negative in the means....but there are conflicting signals otherwise and there are a lot of questions about how much ENSO will be a player and how much blocking we will have....We have had a big cold month every winter since 2004-05 except for 2007-08......but I couldn't pull the trigger...

I think uncertainty is super high this winter....The talented people I consult for advice this time every year were all more uncertain than in years past....so I am happy with the numbers....we know the PDO will be negative in the means....but there are conflicting signals otherwise and there are a lot of questions about how much ENSO will be a player and how much blocking we will have....We have had a big cold month every winter since 2004-05 except for 2007-08......but I couldn't pull the trigger...

i think the outlook is good. hard to run far from average on either category unless there are multiple factors screaming at you i think. i just remember people like DT and others saying that NOAA didnt take a stand etc. im not sure they could....

i think the outlook is good. hard to run far from average on either category unless there are multiple factors screaming at you i think. i just remember people like DT and others saying that NOAA didnt take a stand etc. im not sure they could....

It is a tough winter....If people went big and they verify, then kudos....

yet it wouldn't have screwed up a climo or lower forecast in 20 out of the last 23 winters

everyone loves the big storm fantasy scenario..

what if it would have snowed 10" on dec 26 last year?!!

everyone loves the big storm fantasy scenario..

what if it would have snowed 10" on dec 26 last year?!!

models have screwed this up a bit....It sucked that we missed out on 12/26 but it was never a huge storm for us...we missed a 3-5" event.....there were no double digit totals anywhere near us.....even if that storm hits, it is still an average winter

yet it wouldn't have screwed up a climo or lower forecast in 20 out of the last 23 winters

I hear your point mine is a what if we had normal snow plus one biggie not if one of the snows we get IS a biggie....besides 14" and 20" are basically the same thing in my book anyway

when do we ever get that?.....1999-2000 is closest and most of us were still not much above climo

I know...what if's are a wonderful thing in print but rarely happen...what if I were taller and had more hair...just sayin. Anyhow I went with 17.2 on the capital gang guess because what if we get two 3-4" storms three 1-3" storms and one 8" storm?

I think people tend to be too hard on CPC's forecasts but sometimes putting out a forecast of equal chances is not bad and actually tells you something. In this case, not to take any forecast too seriously as there is lots of uncertainty, even more than usual. A weak to moderate nina, uncertainty about the strength of any negative nao should it occur and what role the MJO might have in the forecast makes this one particularly hard. The qbo also might argue for increased chances of a stratospheric warming event but you have a better chance in a nino and easterly qbo then a nina. I like Matt's forecast but.......:unsure:

Nice write up, very well reasoned and explained.

The long term negative shift in the NAO, should it remain sustained, will obviously be the key we are all looking for in snowfall totals that exceed the consensus forecasts for now and probably years to come.

You indicate winter will be colder earlier / milder late but no early hints on spring? Will it be cool and wet again like 2011?

i like how matt calls himself a Met lol

VE ALWAYS WONDERED.

How exactly do meterologists predict the weather for an entire season? Do they use data from earlier in the year or do they use information from winters past?

A.MATT ROSS :We cover that a bit in our winter outlook. Usually seasonal outlooks rely on a blend of analog years and indices. I think information from winter's past is certainly integral to any outlook, even if any one year alone is used loosely as a rough guide

I got mine answered....I wonder if Matt is eating a big ole burger and fries while doing this....might explain the delay

i dont think computers were invented yet when he was in school so probably never had a typing class

Archived