• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Blizzard 2010 Case Study in Full.

Chris L

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Brooklyn got robbed by that deform, we still ended up getting over 20 inches. I received 18 inches from the Jan 27 storm. I had 4 inches in the morning and then 14 inches at night with incredible rates. Hopefully we see that again this winter.:thumbsup:

Yeah. We all got 15"-20" from Dec. 26, and I am not complaining. But that deform band dropped 25"-30" over that area of Jersey and if it progressed east, the impacts would've been similar to Jan. 1996, which dropped 20"-30" areawide.

Yeah. We all got 15"-20" from Dec. 26, and I am not complaining. But that deform band dropped 25"-30" over that area of Jersey and if it progressed east, the impacts would've been similar to Jan. 1996, which dropped 20"-30" areawide.

Analog and Earthlight got close to 30 inches. I think Chris L also got close to that. Too bad the winter ended in January :arrowhead:

Analog and Earthlight got close to 30 inches. I think Chris L also got close to that. Too bad the winter ended in January :arrowhead:

Northern Queens, NYC and SWCT had a 4" storm in February.

But yeah, anyone south of that only got 1" of slop after January 27.

Yeah. For Queens and Western Nassau, Jan. 27, was an insane snowstorm. That band I posted was the hardest snow, I've ever seen. 3" to as much as 5" an hour reported from LGA to ISP! Sick...Was also very windy and LGA had blizzard conditions for 2-3 hours.

that storm was ridiculous for western nassau...the snowfall rate was higher than in 12/26...i kept looking outside and watching the steps dissapear, then the light fixtures, then the railing...then my car...we ended up with about 18-19 inches from that...what was the original forecast...3-6?

So close, and yet so far...

Long island got into a sick deform band in the 2009-2010 winter...not sure which storm, but i remember there were 4 inche snowfall rates...the thing slowly went across suffolk county...that was sick as well...anyone remember that? Coastal CT got hit pretty hard from too. i think we ended up w around 16 inches from that one

Dec 2009 and Feb 5th 2010 were both epic fails.

I woke up and saw a couple flurries on my roof from that feb storm while philly had 28" on the ground.

the 2011 winter made up for that

its crazy how the past 2 winters have been...so many massive storms a foot or more of snow...its hard to keep track of them!! I remember the blizzard of 96 always stood out as the one big storm, but now there are so many. It just makes you want another biggie, but i know deep down the chances are slim that we see another winter with 3 12inch + snowstorms.

10 days after this:

http://www.weather.c...er/8_23680.html

Well, recently the atmosphere outdid itself. At the peak of the pattern which begat the wild weather in Europe and the U.S., the biggest departure from average pressure aloft in the database (which goes back to 1948) anywhere on the planet occurred over Greenland on December 15. Then the next day that record was smashed. And the previous record for December at this level, a few miles above the Earth's surface, was completely obliterated.

For my location in Queens, I probably got around 16-17 inches or so from the December 26th storm, but I'll remember the winds the most.

A few posters near me lost power (think one member who lived near Holy Cross in Bayside), and my front door blew open around 2am on the 27th.

Really thought I might lose power.

I got into those snow bands on the Jan 27th storm - just amazing, The only rates I think can compare was from Feb 1983.

I woke up and saw a couple flurries on my roof from that feb storm while philly had 28" on the ground.

Actually PHL had 36" on the ground after February 10, 2010.

166481_10150147858384918_777879917_8201812_1482649_n.jpg

I got 13 inches from the Dec 2009 storm and 2 inches from the Feb 5th storm. Staten Island received 7 inches from that storm.

My forecast from that night

Tonight: Snow and widespread blowing snow before 5am, then areas of blowing snow and a chance of snow after 5am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 20. Wind chill values as low as -1. Very windy, with a north wind between 33 and 40 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

http://www.nws.noaa....28+11%3A11%3A11

Most on the ground was 18" at the airport after the 2nd storm. Burbs would certainly have had more but PHL didn't have 36"

Thanks for that correction. I would think that the Burbs, such as Ridley Park in Delaware County, which had 30" from Feb 6 and 21.5" from Feb 10, would have 30+ of snow in depth easily.

I suppose back January 7, 1996, PHL had close to 30" on the ground in depth. I could be wrong on that.

Archived