• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Blizzard 2010 Case Study in Full.

Chris L

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JAN 1996 dumped the most snow,but did not have the winds like this one had.The boxing day blizzard had the most intense wind during and after the storm I have ever experienced.This was the most crippling storm since the FEB 1983 blizzard.over 3000 buses were stuck and trains were stranded on the Brighton,Sea Beach and near Acqueduct for 8 hours.Drifts were 6 to as much as 9 feet where I live,I have never seen that in my lifetime.

Boxing Day, the Snowicane of February 25, 2010, PDII, 1996, the Superstorm of 1993, February 4, 1961 and December 1947 were awesome; but the Blizzard of 1888 dwarfs every single one of those aforementioned storms. Gravesend in Brooklyn measured 52-foot drifts; and some parts of the Tri-State area received between 40-60 inches of blowing and drifting snow. New York City and the Northeast's railroads was crippled for a week; and there were 400 deaths with this storm. Winds were SUSTAINED at 45 MPH with gusts up to 80 MPH. The temperature remained in the single digits all day, even in the month of March. I wish I was living back then; however, I think there is a a legit possibility of our generation seeing a similar snowstorm of this magnitude being repeated, especially with our streak of winters the past 2-3 years and the resiliency of the favorable blocking patterns. Source: http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/blizzard/blizz.txt

I wonder how they were even able to get accurate snowfall measurements in that storm. The fact the NYC 'only' got 20" when so many areas got double that always surprised me

Boxing Day, the Snowicane of February 25, 2010, PDII, 1996, the Superstorm of 1993, February 4, 1961 and December 1947 were awesome; but the Blizzard of 1888 dwarfs every single one of those aforementioned storms. Gravesend in Brooklyn measured 52-foot drifts; and some parts of the Tri-State area received between 40-60 inches of blowing and drifting snow. New York City and the Northeast's railroads was crippled for a week; and there were 400 deaths with this storm. Winds were SUSTAINED at 45 MPH with gusts up to 80 MPH. The temperature remained in the single digits all day, even in the month of March. I wish I was living back then; however, I think there is a a legit possibility of our generation seeing a similar snowstorm of this magnitude being repeated, especially with our streak of winters the past 2-3 years and the resiliency of the favorable blocking patterns. Source: http://www1.ncdc.noa...zzard/blizz.txt

I wonder how they were even able to get accurate snowfall measurements in that storm. The fact the NYC 'only' got 20" when so many areas got double that always surprised me

Queens got 38" from 1888.... I think. That would make sense.

I think Battery Park Manhattan got 21" from the blizzard of 1888...

If one reviews most of the snow totals for N. Jersey from the Blizzard of 1888 it becomes apparent that the approx 21 inch total for NYC is likely very close to correct....most of N. Jersey was in that range. The axis of extreme precip was to the north and northeast of Manhattan....generally over CT and the Hudson Valley...where totals of 25 to 50 inches were common. The same sort of sharp cutoofs with regards to precip takes place nowadays as always...so it shouldn't seem so out of the ordinary. As for photographs from that day, well, piled up snow often makes things look deeper than reality...

of course there many deaths during the 1888 blizzard....hard to alert the public on a horse and carriage.

forecasters had to sit atop the tallest tree in town licking their fingers to gauge which way the wind was blowing...

That's not far from the truth... though it was because the anemometer broke during the storm.

February 4th 1961 was one of the worst storms...17-22" of snow and sleet across the area on top of 9" from previous storms...NYC had 25-28" of snow depth on the 4th...Manhattan was closed to private cars for a few days...

I rate snowfall impact in NYC by the amount of cussing I hear from New Yorkers the day after the storm. 2010 was the highest by a long shot.

Archived