Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November warmup 11/5 - 11/10

SACRUS

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This is a massive west coast troughing signal. Even with moderately favorable heights over Greenland there's nothing we can do in that pattern.

This has a couple of important side effects:

1) Periodic severe weather episodes over the south-central plains.

2) It should help dent the drought over parts of Texas/Oklahoma.

Looks like a raging La Njna pattern despite the blocking in the Atlantic....

The blocking is in the wrong place though too far east and its only a marginally -NAO. The NAO ensembles today for the first time show a marked drop into negative territory. If that occurs then the SE ridge can be suppressed. This is certainly the time to get the lousy pattern out of the way, but at the same time if we wind up with a very mild November its not something that can be ignored, there is a very fine line between warmer than normal Novembers often leading to colder and snowier winters and then VERY mild Novembers meaning snowless and mild winters.

Wow. This is a massive west coast troughing signal. Even with moderately favorable heights over Greenland there's nothing we can do in that pattern.

f180.gif

Agreed. We aren't going to get into a cold and stormy pattern, until the +EPO/-PNA changes. The storms the next couple weeks will largely be rainstorms for us.

The cold is coming,I am not worried about that but like last year with a -PNA it would be cold and dry like it was for much of last December.This is why I hope nobody expects a winter like last one because its not happening.

What do you mean? I should not expect 60 inches of snow in 31 days?

The cold is coming,I am not worried about that but like last year with a -PNA it would be cold and dry like it was for much of last December.This is why I hope nobody expects a winter like last one because its not happening.

Don't worry, they expect it. And they will complain when it doesn't happen.

You will get half of that in 90 days.and be happy with it.lol

Although I will say, it's pretty comical how the last two years have featured winters which had "snow periods" that were essentially one month long.

Last year we received the majority of our snow from Dec 26 - Jan 26. The winter before that there was a whole bunch of snow from the end of Jan to the end of Feb.

Although I will say, it's pretty comical how the last two years have featured winters which had "snow periods" that were essentially one month long.

Last year we received the majority of our snow from Dec 26 - Jan 26. The winter before that there was a whole bunch of snow from the end of Jan to the end of Feb.

Yeah, I'm longing for a start to finish winter like 2002-2003 and 2004-2005. I guess we'll have to wait for a weak Nino. :guitar:

Agreed. We aren't going to get into a cold and stormy pattern, until the +EPO/-PNA changes. The storms the next couple weeks will largely be rainstorms for us.

Last winter was mostly dominated by a -PNA/-NAO pattern, too. In this specific case the pacific pattern is so anomalous, and the blocking and positive height anomalies over Greenland are so mundane, that the pattern is essentially overwhelmed by the -PNA.

Last winter the PNA averaged negative but buckled for a good period from late Dec to late Jan--which is when the blocking was most anomalous. The combination of the two led to a historic period of snow and one of the more classic patterns you will ever see for big events on the east coast.

Although I will say, it's pretty comical how the last two years have featured winters which had "snow periods" that were essentially one month long. Last year we received the majority of our snow from Dec 26 - Jan 26. The winter before that there was a whole bunch of snow from the end of Jan to the end of Feb.

It is remarkable in that aspect.What I am waiting to see is several overrunning systems dropping 2-4 3-6 inches.Have not had that much recently.Or how about a coastal that closes,and stalls over us and it snows for 24 hours plus averaging an inch per hour.

30" in 30 days...

The short list...

02/24-03/24, 1896.....32.0"

02/06-03/07, 1914.....35.2"

12/26-01/24, 1948.....43.4"

01/15-02/13, 1961.....34.1"

01/16-02/14, 1978.....37.2"

02/02-03/03, 1994.....30.8"

12/14-01/12, 1996.....35.2"

01/28-02/26, 2010.....38.2"

01/07-02/05, 2011.....37.6"

The Ensemble forecast has a -NAO and a -AO by midmonth but a -PNA. Even if the NAO and AO are negative, the -PNA will hurt us.

http://www.esrl.noaa.../compare.pn.png

The negative PNA is something that is likely to be prevalent most of the winter, given the moderate nina and strong -PDO. However, in times of stronger blocking/-NAO, especially if we can get an Alaskan block connecting over the top, will help to mute the PNA signal.

FYI, we had a -PNA during the Boxing day blizzard last winter. Trough was over the Pac NW w/ a monster ridge in the nern plains/sern canada, amplifying the eastern short wave. The Northeast US can do fine cold/snow wise in a -PNA; the Southeast US is a different story.

With that said, I expect the PNA to surge positive for a time in December, when I think the -NAO will be strongest.

The negative PNA is something that is likely to be prevalent most of the winter, given the moderate nina and strong -PDO. However, in times of stronger blocking/-NAO, especially if we can get an Alaskan block connecting over the top, will help to mute the PNA signal.

FYI, we had a -PNA during the Boxing day blizzard last winter. Trough was over the Pac NW w/ a monster ridge in the nern plains/sern canada, amplifying the eastern short wave. The Northeast US can do fine cold/snow wise in a -PNA; the Southeast US is a different story.

With that said, I expect the PNA to surge positive for a time in December, when I think the -NAO will be strongest.

All 3 of my top analogs for the winter had a -PNA average for DJF (1954-55, 1955-56, 2008-09). However, 54-55 and 08-09 did feature 1 month out of the 3 with a +PNA signal. The PDO was extremely negative in 55-56; I don't anticipate it to be that negative this winter, so I can certainly see periods where the PNA is near neutral.

Last winter was mostly dominated by a -PNA/-NAO pattern, too. In this specific case the pacific pattern is so anomalous, and the blocking and positive height anomalies over Greenland are so mundane, that the pattern is essentially overwhelmed by the -PNA.

Last winter the PNA averaged negative but buckled for a good period from late Dec to late Jan--which is when the blocking was most anomalous. The combination of the two led to a historic period of snow and one of the more classic patterns you will ever see for big events on the east coast.

:maprain:

Agreed especially re: December. I still think the pieces are falling into place for a potentially memorable pattern (again) in late December.

Archived