Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Lets Talk Winter! Ohio valley and surrounding States

Steve

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right at 4" now but the snow has stopped. Interesting snow pattern to say the least.

Gotta love CLE... this isn't October. I'm sure the plows are loving this...

NICE LITTLE SHORT WAVE SLIDING ACROSS THE MIDWEST ALONG WITH A WEAK BACK DOOR TYPE FRONT LURKING NEAR THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE

ERIE. THE COMBINATION OF THE TWO SYSTEMS WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE LIGHT SNOW...A LITTLE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING SNOW! THE MAIN FOCUS OF

THE SHORT WAVE WILL HEAD TOWARD THE MID/UPPER OHIO VALLEY BUT WITH THE NORTH WIND OFF LAKE ERIE THE SNOW PATTERN WILL ALSO BLOSSOM

ACROSS THE SNOW BELT DURING THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON... BUT AGAIN...MOST OF THE SNOW WILL BE LIGHT. I EXPECT MOST OF WHAT

ACCUMULATES (LESS THAN AN INCH) WILL BE ON GRASSY SURFACES AND VEHICLES ETC BUT A LITTLE SLUSH CANNOT BE RULED OUT ON THE

PAVEMENT ESPECIALLY WHERE IT IS STILL SNOWING AFTER SUNSET... MAINLY NE OH/NW PA. AFTER SUNSET THERE IS MORE POTENTIAL FOR SLUSH

AND ICE ON THE ROADS.

Right at 4" now but the snow has stopped. Interesting snow pattern to say the least.

NICE LITTLE SHORT WAVE SLIDING ACROSS THE MIDWEST ALONG WITH A WEAK BACK DOOR TYPE FRONT LURKING NEAR THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE

ERIE. THE COMBINATION OF THE TWO SYSTEMS WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE LIGHT SNOW...A LITTLE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING SNOW! THE MAIN FOCUS OF

THE SHORT WAVE WILL HEAD TOWARD THE MID/UPPER OHIO VALLEY BUT WITH THE NORTH WIND OFF LAKE ERIE THE SNOW PATTERN WILL ALSO BLOSSOM

ACROSS THE SNOW BELT DURING THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON... BUT AGAIN...MOST OF THE SNOW WILL BE LIGHT. I EXPECT MOST OF WHAT

ACCUMULATES (LESS THAN AN INCH) WILL BE ON GRASSY SURFACES AND VEHICLES ETC BUT A LITTLE SLUSH CANNOT BE RULED OUT ON THE

PAVEMENT ESPECIALLY WHERE IT IS STILL SNOWING AFTER SUNSET... MAINLY NE OH/NW PA. AFTER SUNSET THERE IS MORE POTENTIAL FOR SLUSH

AND ICE ON THE ROADS.

What are they thinking? They can't even nowcast. Just took this picture a few mins ago:

post-599-0-99625000-1324151992.jpg

AND ICE ON THE ROADS.

They just put out a short term forecast stamped 2:19PM and it's still wrong. Don't they have spotters out in this neck of the woods?

.NOW...

LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE OVER THE AREA THROUGH 4PM.

THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL BE EAST OF A LORAIN TO MANSFIELD

TO MOUNT VERNON LINE. ANOTHER AREA OF HEAVIEST SNOW WILL

BE FROM ALONG AND NORTH OF OHIO TURNPIKE FROM CLEVELAND

TO AROUND YOUNGSTOWN. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH 4PM

WILL BE AROUND A HALF AN INCH OR LESS. ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS

THAT ARE UNTREATED CAN BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.

Epic failure of a month. Somebody's just gotta put a bullet in the head of Dec 2011.

1999-00 started to turn around somewhat by about the 10th of January that winter, IIRC. I hope something similar is in store for this winter.

At least part of Northern Ohio got some action today... Lorain through Avon Lake have been sitting under enhancement for a while now... already 3-4" at Avon Lake. CLE is getting some good snows now too

They just put out a short term forecast stamped 2:19PM and it's still wrong. Don't they have spotters out in this neck of the woods?

.NOW...

LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE OVER THE AREA THROUGH 4PM.

THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL BE EAST OF A LORAIN TO MANSFIELD

TO MOUNT VERNON LINE. ANOTHER AREA OF HEAVIEST SNOW WILL

BE FROM ALONG AND NORTH OF OHIO TURNPIKE FROM CLEVELAND

TO AROUND YOUNGSTOWN. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH 4PM

WILL BE AROUND A HALF AN INCH OR LESS. ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS

THAT ARE UNTREATED CAN BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.

Here's the gem from the latest discussion:

THERE HAS BEEN A CONVERGENT ZONE BETWEEN THE NORTH FLOW OFF THE LAKE

AND THE LIGHT SOUTHWEST SYNOPTIC FLOW FROM ABOUT LORAIN COUNTY AND

CLEVELAND OVER TO WARREN (TRUMBULL COUNTY) WHERE THE SNOW HAS

BEEN ENHANCED OTHERWISE SNOW AMOUNTS WILL END UP AROUND AN INCH OR

LESS WITH UP TO SEVERAL INCHES IN THE ENHANCED AREA.

They must not have windows. This is a decent band of snow effecting at least a million people with 3+" of snow, yet barely a mention in the forecast. I just don't get it, especially considering the rationale for advisories last weekend that were never warranted but continued for almost 18 hours.

They must not have windows. This is a decent band of snow effecting at least a million people with 3+" of snow, yet barely a mention in the forecast. I just don't get it, especially considering the rationale for advisories last weekend that were never warranted but continued for almost 18 hours.

The convergence zone was there earlier this morning... say 11am or so when this area picked up most of our snow. I had a couple more good bursts of snow this afternoon. Total is now 4.5". Still snowing lightly but the radar looks to be quieting down.

The funny part is that CLE obs have been reporting SN Freezing Fog for four hours. You're right... a quick look out of the window would have been a good idea. It will be interesting to see what CLE reports... do they report 1" as forecasted or reality?

I hate to be down on CLE but c'mon.

At least part of Northern Ohio got some action today... Lorain through Avon Lake have been sitting under enhancement for a while now... already 3-4" at Avon Lake. CLE is getting some good snows now too

It was nice to see the snow today. Still hoping for a spread the wealth type storm. Might have to wait until Feb at this point.

MY dad is heading towards Cleveland and just called me and said that the roads are in horrible conditions on I90, and the location that he was at had at least 4" of snowfall.

The convergence zone was there earlier this morning... say 11am or so when this area picked up most of our snow. I had a couple more good bursts of snow this afternoon. Total is now 4.5". Still snowing lightly but the radar looks to be quieting down.

The funny part is that CLE obs have been reporting SN Freezing Fog for four hours. You're right... a quick look out of the window would have been a good idea. It will be interesting to see what CLE reports... do they report 1" as forecasted or reality?

I hate to be down on CLE but c'mon.

CLE has picked up 0.31" liquid equivalent so even assuming a straight 10:1 ratio they'd be over 3". As of 10 mins ago they are still reporting Heavy Snow. I'd assume they will end up with 4" by midnight.

A lot of folks got caught off guard today, that's for sure. I really hate to critique, but I find it amusing how they will agonize over whether interior Crawford and Ashtabula counties will see an inch of snow, or leave advisories up for Geauga County for 2-5" over a 24 hr period, but when it's actually occurring over the City and Suburbs it's not worth mentioning.

But, I'm done complaining about the lack of snow now. A nice early Christmas treat and it's really picturesque.

The CLE climate summary shows 2.5" from 0.22, so that was taken a few hours ago, with a 11:1 ratio. Considering it's still snowing and 0.31" was reported as the daily total through 5 pm, the airport should eclipse 4" which appears to the widespread magic number of the metro area.

At 5PM I measured 3 &3/4 inches of snow and maybe another inch that melted. (We are about 2 miles West of Trent). The temperature is only just now dropping below freezing and no real wind. Once again Jeff Tanchakat Chan. 19 & 43 was the only TV forecaster to call it correctly.

Yep, about the same here. I measured 3.7" at 4 o'clock, and it's been spitting a bit here or there since. The models were hinting at another brief flare up later this evening, so it's possible we could climb towards 5 inches.

Haha. Seriously you can't make this stuff up, the just issued forecast for Cleveland tonight: :facepalm:

Tonight: A chance of flurries. Cloudy, with a low around 30. West wind between 6 and 10 mph.

Sunday: A slight chance of flurries before 9am. Partly sunny, with a high near 38. West wind between 9 and 11 mph.

Latest OB from CLE:

2011/12/17 21:51 KCLE 172151Z 00000KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG BKN007 OVC016 M02/M02 A3024 RMK AO2 SLP250 SNINCR 1/4 P0003 T10171022

Archived