Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The PHL/NYC Medium Range Thread - Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really know a lot about the MLK storm, to be honest...not something I've studied in depth.

It just seems to me that the trend on the ECM is to reduce the importance of the northern stream shortwave, using the southern stream to create most of the storm. If this trend continues, the situation could trend colder with the low over Canada being much weaker and not inducing as much southerly flow.

It tracked way closer to the coast than this Euro run shows...it also was not a very deep storm til it was NE of the area.

I don't really know a lot about the MLK storm, to be honest...not something I've studied in depth.

It just seems to me that the trend on the ECM is to reduce the importance of the northern stream shortwave, using the southern stream to create most of the storm. If this trend continues, the situation could trend colder with the low over Canada being much weaker and not inducing as much southerly flow.

Understood. Have to look for that northern low being weaker on future runs.

One has to really wonder why a model with a very progressive bias is alot slower then what the ECM is...

By this point and time the ECM is up near Cape Cod...

Meanwhile UKMET is further to the south...

Now it is in the same relative spot as the GGEM but even the GGEM with its somewhat warm bias is colder then the ECM...

true, but wouldn't thats push everything east, later phase?

It could....honestly with the Euro's setup over the Atlantic the storm would probably track inland...the only issue is there is a squeeze play between the incoming arctic airmass...otherwise I'd say for sure the storm is a cutter with that setup.

the end of the euro run is just absolutely brutal, coldest airmass in a long time...sub 504 thickness from the m/d line north...with a sub 482 pv parked south of the hudson bay..850s are -20 to -24 from dc to alb...from alb to bos on north -24 to -28...day time highs not getting out of the teens for the cities

the end of the euro run is just absolutely brutal, coldest airmass in a long time...sub 504 thickness from the m/d line north...with a sub 482 pv parked south of the hudson bay..850s are -20 to -24 from dc to alb...from alb to bos on north -24 to -28...day time highs not getting out of the teens for the cities

sounds like a suppressive pattern. Do not want.

If that is the case, Boston's high would be in the single digits.

The coastal could be a little stronger, but that's a great track for NYC metro...1010mb off the Delmarva, stays well off the coast. Definitely a snow track in my book.

I would think we should be rooting for a weaker wave and surface low in this pattern if we want to see a further east track and stay all frozen. Otherwise, any amplification with this system and there is nothing to stop it from cutting inland given the +NAO and our ridge being centered off the West coast. Then again the over all setup could shift as well in the next 5-7 days.

I would think we should be rooting for a weaker wave and surface low in this pattern if we want to see a further east track and stay all frozen. Otherwise, any amplification with this system and there is nothing to stop it from cutting inland given the +NAO and our ridge being centered off the West coast. Then again the over all setup could shift as well in the next 5-7 days.

Agreed. The PV over Northern Canada, also favors an inland track. I think we would have to see perfect timing of the northern and southern streams phasing in order to get a snowstorm, especially for the coast. An earlier phase will mean track farther west. A latter phase means the cold air comes in late.

Let's take the Jan 18-19 discussion here:

After that threat, I'm in favor of a major cold outbreak. The polar vortex continues to get disturbed and the MJO will be moving into the icebox octants. wxmx has this covered over on the main forum. You should really check out his posts.

Archived