• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The PHL/NYC Medium Range Thread - Part 2

am19psu

The way the ens are portraying it, and the operational based on teleconnectors the pattern after day ten seems like swfe galore. With a mean troff in the west and a se ridge. The pattern to me in the long range looks horrid to my eyes. Honestly, if it was to switch to warm right now and never get anymore snow, i wouldn't have an issue with it. This winter exceeded my expectations by ten times, and im happy with that.

basically what JB is saying on his video as mentioned above

I'd like at least 2 more nice 6+ snows if possible

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern looks fine to me on the 12z ECM once the arctic front goes through...NAO/AO is going severely negative as high heights develop in Eastern Greenland/North Atlantic and punch towards the North Pole, there's a big block over the Bering Strait with the coldest air over Canada, and we're in the midst of a significant arctic outbreak with 850s <-20C. Honestly, what's not to like, even if we do get some SWFE given the east-based nature of the Atlantic block and the -EPO? Could still tack on a bunch to our seasonal snowfall totals, see some interesting icing events, and then get back in shape for another round of coastals if the NAO decides to go west-based. Honestly I'm not too worried at this point, everything is still on track for a good February.

I don't see it on the euro. Yes it has that arctic outbreak, but that looks transient big time.. Yea there is a block in the bering straights, but whats going to send that south? You have a pos nao, pos ao, pos epo, and a neutral at best pna.....

He is really putting a lot of faith in the Euro weeklies and the SE ridge exerting the dominant influence on the East. I mean, that's the biggest fear for my forecast, but I still think we're going to end up seeing more MJO/mountain torque forced cooling, at least in the Northeastern quadrant of the country.

Then again, I'm no where near as accomplished at this stuff as some people on this board, so take what I think with a giant boulder of salt.

12z models have more than a glimmer for the cold to stick around. you might have done quite well by staying with the cold in the east fcst, despite the warm ens fcsts during the past few days beforehand

Wow pattern is horrid, with no upstream blocking the SE ridge flexes it's muscle and hgts are higher on the EC. A lot of interior cutting systems in such a pattern. Unless we see some type of blocking developing, it does not look pretty. We can only hope the pattern is just reloading the next two weeks.

Wow pattern is horrid, with no upstream blocking the SE ridge flexes it's muscle and hgts are higher on the EC. A lot of interior cutting systems in such a pattern. Unless we see some type of blocking developing, it does not look pretty. We can only hope the pattern is just reloading the next two weeks.

How about being grateful for the amazing winter weather you've already had? :whistle:

12z models have more than a glimmer for the cold to stick around. you might have done quite well by staying with the cold in the east fcst, despite the warm ens fcsts during the past few days beforehand

I'm really going to need to mountain torque/PV disruption stuff to kick in around the 10th or so. If it goes +EPO/-PNA/+AO after that time frame, I'm toast. The Asian torques are really through the roof though.

gltaum.90day.gif

We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic. To tombo's point earlier though, the pattern I'm envisioning is not a good snow pattern. It's one with a lot of southwest flow setups.

that might be the last brrr shot in the east till ???

I think the pattern gets favorable by mid to late February. A lot of members want to drop the AO to negative by mid February.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

Here is the PNA. It now looks like it will stay neutral in the foreseeable future

http://www.cpc.ncep....a/pna.sprd2.gif

It also looks like some members want to drop the NAO negative by mid month.

http://www.cpc.ncep....a/nao.sprd2.gif

Should be really interesting to see what develops.

I realize this isn't a long-range thread, but do we think the Nina repeats next winter? Will it be like the three winters before last year where La Nina dominated or is this a non-repeat Nina? It seems like we haven't had a neutral phase in a while, tipping either the low or high end of the scale.

I realize this isn't a long-range thread, but do we think the Nina repeats next winter? Will it be like the three winters before last year where La Nina dominated or is this a non-repeat Nina? It seems like we haven't had a neutral phase in a while, tipping either the low or high end of the scale.

Going by SOI and CPC's definition, technically 08-09 was neutral, though just barely.

JB this am...

"WINTER SHIFTING WEST"

"now we are seeing the La Nina taking hold."

"The worst of winter is over for much of the East, though New England will continue to be abused"

Break out the golf clubs and shorts ;)

I for one hope he's right... I need a break from tracking threats back east, and would like to actually enjoy some winter myself again ;)

I for one hope he's right... I need a break from tracking threats back east, and would like to actually enjoy some winter myself again ;)

I think your area is going to start cashing in, while we go above normal over the east for february. If this is winters last wooo haa, no can complain with the amount of snow we have gotten.

JB this am...

"WINTER SHIFTING WEST"

"now we are seeing the La Nina taking hold."

"The worst of winter is over for much of the East, though New England will continue to be abused"

Break out the golf clubs and shorts ;)

what JB says makes sense-but he's been horrid this year and this LA Nina has produced alot of surprises...

I think your area is going to start cashing in, while we go above normal over the east for february. If this is winters last wooo haa, no can complain with the amount of snow we have gotten.

I doubt this whole month is done for the coast. There are signs of blocking coming back by mid month.

la nina winters with a cold December and January are milder on average in February and colder again in March...1955-56 is a good example of this...We are due for a big melt down...Will it happen in mid Feb.?...

My preference would be to keep February cold and wintry, then let the warm-up and meltdown begin in March and continue through the spring.

My preference would be to keep February cold and wintry, then let the warm-up and meltdown begin in March and continue through the spring.

I'm not greedy so if I don't see another snow flake the rest of the winter I'm still satisfied...I think we will see a thaw and the end of February or the beginning of March sees more wintry weather if not straight thru from now till then...1947-48 became warm around the first day of Spring...I'll take something like that...

I'm not greedy so if I don't see another snow flake the rest of the winter I'm still satisfied...I think we will see a thaw and the end of February or the beginning of March sees more wintry weather if not straight thru from now till then...1947-48 became warm around the first day of Spring...I'll take something like that...

1955-56 and 2000-01 sound like good analogs, and Ive seen a few long range forecasts that have us in strong blocking by early March which continues through March and April.

I was just speaking to Larry Cosgrove on facebook and he says that he does not like what he sees for the east until late February , early March. Winter looks to be done for the foreseeable future.

In some ways that's a bummer, but look on the bright side... it won't be long until we're all on SPC's site looking for some goodies. There's always some kind of weather to look forward to. ;)

I agree with your thoughts....makes sense.

Archived