e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The PHL/NYC Medium Range Thread - Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds like BS. With that track and the high pressure in Quebec, this would probably be resolved as a snowstorm as we get closer in. Even the GFS gives NYC metro 2-4" and it is a much warmer track than the Euro.

the northern stream storm is what kills it, its up by montreal, the southerly flow around that and the high sliding east causes a southerly flow, which warms us up

This sounds like BS. With that track and the high pressure in Quebec, this would probably be resolved as a snowstorm as we get closer in. Even the GFS gives NYC metro 2-4" and it is a much warmer track than the Euro.

What are the differences between this setup and that MLK storm? Better setup?

the northern stream storm is what kills it, its up by montreal, the southerly flow around that and the high sliding east causes a southerly flow, which warms us up

It sounds as if the trend has been to reduce the importance of the northern stream, though, which could make this a snowier solution than currently modeled.

I am highly suspicious of a 990mb low near the Benchmark giving NYC-BOS rain in a cold pattern during January, especially with deep snowpack over the region. But honestly, there's plenty of time to work on this threat as the models have been shifting around conspicuously for the last few days. After all, we're talking about a storm in the Day 6-7 range.

Also, could this be the rare ice storm from a coastal?

It sounds as if the trend has been to reduce the importance of the northern stream, though, which could make this a snowier solution than currently modeled.

I am highly suspicious of a 990mb low near the Benchmark giving NYC-BOS rain in a cold pattern during January, especially with deep snowpack over the region. But honestly, there's plenty of time to work on this threat as the models have been shifting around conspicuously for the last few days. After all, we're talking about a storm in the Day 6-7 range.

Also, could this be the rare ice storm from a coastal?

Hope you are right. As we saw in that MLK storm, coastals can be rain, but could more things go well here?

Hope you are right. As we saw in that MLK storm, coastals can be rain, but could more things go well here?

I don't really know a lot about the MLK storm, to be honest...not something I've studied in depth.

It just seems to me that the trend on the ECM is to reduce the importance of the northern stream shortwave, using the southern stream to create most of the storm. If this trend continues, the situation could trend colder with the low over Canada being much weaker and not inducing as much southerly flow.

There's been only a handful of occasions with a track like that I remember rain, last year's storm is one and there were many during 97-98...those were both relatively strong Ninos though, its hard for me to believe the airmass will not be colder than is currently being shown....also if the storm is deep enough it could manufacture its own cold air...it could be 32/32 but snowing.

Archived