northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part III

Chicago Storm

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it was January 14th, 1992. Pearson airport got 16 cm while downtown got 7 cm.

Back to this event, Toronto could get either a major rainstorm, a mix or a major snowstorm. Last night, I was leaning towards the former, but now, I'm leaning towards the latter. Let's see what happens. Should be fun to track!

Yeah, as I'm getting older I don't let busts get me down like I used to as a kid. So, regardless of what happens, this has been fun.

OB & OL,

YOW's not so hot on the 12z NAM. A couple of hours of snow, couple hours of ZR, and then it's rain for the duration thereafter. Big +3C warm tongue around 800mb.

yeah that warm tongue is undeniable. its been getting stronger and stronger over here each and every successive model run for the past couple days.

thanks for confirming it though.

Track differences are huge between NAM/GFS. Watch this map:

http://weather.cod.e...sis.sfccon.html

Surface lows propagate towards the greatest pressure falls. This will be telling in the next 6 hours which solutions are right.

GFS has blizzard over Iowa/NAM southern MN.

I posted the unisys 3hr pressure fall map on the previous page, but this link is much better, thanks.

The 12z GFS is absolute gold for Toronto with regard to front end snow. A deluge of rain for Ottawa and Montreal. It's going to be tough for those two cities to watch that if it verifies as we love to go on about how we get tougher winters and more snow than Toronto.

Yeah, it looks similar to the NAM, although I'll have to check the soundings when they come out to be sure. Heck of a dry slot it punches in after that though. The best CCB/Defo zone snows seem to setup right through the heart of Michigan.

The 12z GFS is absolute gold for Toronto with regard to front end snow. A deluge of rain for Ottawa and Montreal. It's going to be tough for those two cities to watch that if it verifies as we love to go on about how we get tougher winters and more snow than Toronto.

its likely that

freezing rain will be the story in ottawa, followed by a short period of rain possible and then cooldown-freeze.

Archived