northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part III

Chicago Storm

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the GFS/GEM/Ukie/Nogaps/RGEM end up right with a ESE trend, your reputation is not on the line.

I read your blog and your a blessing to this community. I just want to get that out there, if I am totally off that is fine and I apologize for this assertion. You are pretty much our teacher here and well respected, exp after the way you handled yourself yesterday.

with that said I hope the Jet can dig this thing south enough for me to get in the deformation zone, so I hope in this case you are wrong, carry on :)

Haha, thanks. Don't worry, not too worried about reputations, I am not like JB thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Also, we are all wrong at times. It is weather. IN this case though trends continue to show this being more intense and NAM like. Surface low in MT much deeper already than any models have. Worth considering here.

Could be one of those events models are wrong all the way up to. We shall see.

Haha, thanks. Don't worry, not too worried about reputations, I am not like JB thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Also, we are all wrong at times. It is weather. IN this case though trends continue to show this being more intense and NAM like. Surface low in MT much deeper already than any models have. Worth considering here.

Could be one of those events models are wrong all the way up to. We shall see.

I think it's been a great system to track for the first event on the new board. Bucking the traditional conceptual models and watching the NWP slowly come around to the idea has been fascinating.

I think it's been a great system to track for the first event on the new board. Bucking the traditional conceptual models and watching the NWP slowly come around to the idea has been fascinating.

It's been really fun and I've learned a bunch reading this board...my only thing is I wish it hadn't happened the week before finals week. :arrowhead:

Once again Southern MN will be playing with p-type again..nothing new there. But a solid 6 inches looks pretty likely in my area, what's the difference between 6 and 12 inches when winds will be gusting to 45 mph? Some of the worst whiteouts and blizzards have came with 1-3 inches of snow out here. If we can some how get the track to drop a tad south then I would be right in the main axis of 8 inches or more..but just too close to comfort with low that skirting just south of the MN/IA border like most models show, nudging 850mb temps above 0 degrees Celsius.'

Aberdeen puts out first Blizzard Warnings! I expect that pretty red to be put out by FSD and MPX this afternoon.

FXUS63 KMKX 101708 AAA

AFDMKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

1108 AM CST FRI DEC 10 2010

.UPDATE...NOT MUCH HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS IN TERMS OF

OVERALL THINKING FOR THE WEEKEND WINTER STORM. THE GENERAL CONSENSUS

OF MODEL TRACKS BRING THE SFC LOW ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN...WITH A

MIX OF RAIN/SNOW/FREEZING RAIN/SLEET ACROSS MUCH OF THE FORECAST

AREA DURING THE FIRST PART OF THE STORM...THE BEST CHANCE FOR RAIN

SOUTH AND EAST. THERE ARE STILL LARGE ENOUGH DIFFERENCES AMONG

MODELS IN THE SFC TRACK TO KEEP A FEELING OF UNCERTAINTY WITH THIS

STORM. THE 12Z GFS OPERATIONAL RUN HAS SHIFTED SLIGHTLY SOUTH FROM

PREVIOUS RUNS...WITH THE SFC LOW NOW TRACKING ALONG THE WI/IL

BORDER. THE MAJORITY OF THE 00Z GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS WERE EVEN

FURTHER SOUTH...KEEPING THE LOW SOUTH OF THE WI BORDER. THE CANADIAN

AND UKMET STILL KEEP THE LOW SOUTH OF THE BORDER...SUGGESTING MOSTLY

SNOW ACROSS SRN WI. MEANWHILE...THE NAM AND ECMWF TRACK THE LOW

RIGHT ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA. THOUGH ON A LARGE SCALE THESE

DIFFERENCES ARE FAIRLY MINOR...THEY DO THROW A PRETTY BIG WRENCH IN

POSSIBLE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ACROSS SRN WI...ESPECIALLY TOWARD THE

SOUTHEAST.

OVERALL...SEEMS WINTER STORM WARNING CRITERIA SNOWFALL WILL BE MET

ACROSS THE NORTHERN CWA...AND THE WATCH WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO BE

UPGRADED TO A WARNING LATER TODAY. STILL THINKING SUB WARNING

SNOWFALL IN THE SOUTH AND EAST...BUT WILL HAVE TO KEEP A VERY CLOSE

EYE ON THINGS AS THIS STORM DEVELOPS...WITH A LARGER THAN NORMAL

SPREAD IN MODEL TRACKS THIS CLOSE TO THE ARRIVAL OF THE STORM.

Regardless of where the UL's are at 48 hours. the places getting the blizzard shouldn't be that far off the mark.

the difference between the H5 end up somewhere around Evansville, Indiana instead of NE Indiana is a world of difference for me.

is the difference between flurries and backside light snow with high ratios and nearly blizzard conditions with 1-2 inches blowing around.

the models are still showing the jet digging very well.

I find it interesting the SLP ends up on the NE side of the H5, 7, 8 lows on many models..which is fine by me.

Archived