joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow in the first week of November

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just mean more for widespread stuff. I alluded to higher elevation areas maybe seeing their first flakes.

I agree - folks may or may not be aware that "snow in the first week of November" doesn't have to mean a 12" of unbelievablism.

Kevin's just jealous of my t-shirt

Didn't you or Will once post something about the 1st week of November hardly getting any snow? (vs late October or something)?

Nah, that wasn't me. Not sure about Will though.

There's nothing that important about that time of year Meteorologically other than the fact that it is on the warm side of the last month before the cold season formally starts - that alone would intuitively favor warm solutions. It would seem more likely that any such correlation is a randomly emerged behavior explained by noise/chance, and probablistically favored do to the former reason.

Obviously, I wouldn't trust these 300 and whatever hour visions of interior history; nor was that what I had in mind when I started this thread. I will say, however, there are still signals for cold anomalies nearing and post the 31st of the month - which at that time of year, that can mean snow. Let us recall just 2 years ago it snowed up to 3 or 4" above 1500' els, with an inch of glop on the valley floors on the 16th of October.

Nah, that wasn't me. Not sure about Will though.

There's nothing that important about that time of year Meteorologically other than the fact that it is on the warm side of the last month before the cold season formally starts - that alone would intuitively favor warm solutions. It would seem more likely that any such correlation is a randomly emerged behavior explained by noise/chance, and probablistically favored do to the former reason.

Obviously, I wouldn't trust these 300 and whatever hour visions of interior history; nor was that what I had in mind when I started this thread. I will say, however, there are still signals for cold anomalies nearing and post the 31st of the month - which at that time of year, that can mean snow. Let us recall just 2 years ago it snowed up to 3 or 4" above 1500' els, with an inch of glop on the valley floors on the 16th of October.

I figured as much, just I recall someone mentioning something like that.

And I def. recall the 16th and 18th... got 2" here

I figured as much, just I recall someone mentioning something like that.

And I def. recall the 16th and 18th... got 2" here

Operational Euro seems to be loading +PNAP related marginal cold into southern/SE Canada between D6-10. This could either be seasonally on time, or perhaps locking onto this signal. The Euro ensembles look chillier than their operational captain, toward the end and start loading a pattern more conducive to coastal chances, too. Interesting.

Operational Euro seems to be loading +PNAP related marginal cold into southern/SE Canada between D6-10. This could either be seasonally on time, or perhaps locking onto this signal. The Euro ensembles look chillier than their operational captain, toward the end and start loading a pattern more conducive to coastal chances, too. Interesting.

Do you know what pattern they have for NOvember for the east?

Forget it folks!

Yuck - teleconnectors have been deconstructing this signal with a pinache that would make the hardiest of warmista's jealous. Complete and utter signal break-down and emerged reversal - now the advertisement would have to argue for above normalcy in temperatures until further notice.

It is interesting to see the ensemble move en masse that way.. The Euro cluster appears a little less enthused about breaking warm but they are flatting the western N/A component of the PNAP, so it may be inevitable. What verifies out of all this from about the 28th to the 10th will probably come down to amusing to say the least. .

Forget it folks!

Yuck - teleconnectors have been deconstructing this signal with a pinache that would make the hardiest of warmista's jealous. Complete and utter signal break-down and emerged reversal - now the advertisement would have to argue for above normalcy in temperatures until further notice.

It is interesting to see the ensemble move en masse that way.. The Euro cluster appears a little less enthused about breaking warm but they are flatting the western N/A component of the PNAP, so it may be inevitable. What verifies out of all this from about the 28th to the 10th will probably come down to amusing to say the least. .

AMOUT

Forget it folks!

26-29th would be when something happens. The flow deamplifies the first week in November. So if you just pull the old met verification trick of shifting your timeframe you should be okay. It may not be a lot of snow but Northern New england should see something

26-29th would be when something happens. The flow deamplifies the first week in November. So if you just pull the old met verification trick of shifting your timeframe you should be okay. It may not be a lot of snow but Northern New england should see something

Thanks Pertubation3.

Somewhat interesting to me... The overnight computations seemed to have returned (albeit subtle for the time being) on cold loading signals into the 50-55N region of central/eastern Canada over the last week of this month. Haven't seen the Euro ensembles, and I disagree that the GFS ensembles are useless.

That said, the CDC agency has neutralized the NAO and even found perhaps -.25 SD values persisting as we close out the month. The CPC is less coherent at week 2, but that is usually the case from that source. The operational runs of the GFS shows some tendency for height growth in the 60-70N region of the D. Straight heading toward D10, and that would tend to lower the escape latitude of the westerlies along the eastern seaboard of N/A in time. The ECM doesn't agree, but, the ECM is really no better or worse than the GFS at and beyond D5 as of last check.

Incidentally, the 06z operational GFS strengthens the mean polar boundary from MV to NW New England with some 7 dm of thickness packing across perhaps 3 or 400 miles, particularly across the Lakes and SE Canada, as near by as D6.5. It runs a wave up along the boundary and would bring snow to areas of Ontario should that pan out as is... Interesting and not far away from New England at all as far as the Meteorological crow flies. 522-534dm thickness has spread over much of the Canadian shield just NW of this axis.

It is possible that I have given up on this signal too quickly... Lord knows that during the autumn and spring, the teleconnectors can at times show increased stochastic output - albeit less variant compared to their operational members, do to the weight of having so many ensemble members creating a mean. It just takes a little longer than an operational run to move an ensemble mean up and down. We'll see how things go.

Somewhat interesting to me... The overnight computations seemed to have returned (albeit subtle for the time being) on cold loading signals into the 50-55N region of central/eastern Canada over the last week of this month. Haven't seen the Euro ensembles, and I disagree that the GFS ensembles are useless.

That said, the CDC agency has neutralized the NAO and even found perhaps -.25 SD values persisting as we close out the month. The CPC is less coherent at week 2, but that is usually the case from that source. The operational runs of the GFS shows some tendency for height growth in the 60-70N region of the D. Straight heading toward D10, and that would tend to lower the escape latitude of the westerlies along the eastern seaboard of N/A in time. The ECM doesn't agree, but, the ECM is really no better or worse than the GFS at and beyond D5 as of last check.

Incidentally, the 06z operational GFS strengthens the mean polar boundary from MV to NW New England with some 7 dm of thickness packing across perhaps 3 or 400 miles, particularly across the Lakes and SE Canada, as near by as D6.5. It runs a wave up along the boundary and would bring snow to areas of Ontario should that pan out as is... Interesting and not far away from New England at all as far as the Meteorological crow flies. 522-534dm thickness has spread over much of the Canadian shield just NW of this axis.

It is possible that I have given up on this signal too quickly... Lord knows that during the autumn and spring, the teleconnectors can at times show increased stochastic output - albeit less variant compared to their operational members, do to the weight of having so many ensemble members creating a mean. It just takes a little longer than an operational run to move an ensemble mean up and down. We'll see how things go.

The pattern as a whole doesn't fit the teleconnections that we know it. If you look at the height fields you can see it. Thanks to some ridging out west and a Scandinavian block that is pointing to Greenland, a trough does descend into the eastern US. There is also a split flow look to the pattern with some ridging in western Canada (albeit weak) and some sort of a cut off low to the sw of California. So enough for a change to more cooler wx, but is it stable?? I don't know. The NAO does try to go more + and the PNA tries going - again during the first week of Novie on the euro ensembles.

Archived