bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
October 2011 Banter/Obs/Disco Part III

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too funny my sister sent me a text that said- this time of year you have to carry a change of clothes to be comfortable...jeans and sneakers in the morning...then it gets warm enough for shorts and sandals...and then the sun starts to set and the temp quickly drops back to jeans and sneakers...

I really think that if we can get that front to stall a little over the south coast of SNE..some of us may be doing the sand bag dance. This is a really tropical airmass that's coming up, as modeled. I suppose the question mark is if the heaviest rain moves just offshore, but I really think it has the potential to dump a lof of rain in a short time, if things come together. Some impressive stuff right here.

http://eyewall.met.psu.edu/rich/gefs/

too funny my sister sent me a text that said- this time of year you have to carry a change of clothes to be comfortable...jeans and sneakers in the morning...then it gets warm enough for shorts and sandals...and then the sun starts to set and the temp quickly drops back to jeans and sneakers...

Getting a season pass this year (Wachusett)?

Yeah that should be pretty cool to see unfold. Look how anomalously warm and moist the air is. 576 thicknesses kissing the Cape with 2.3" PWATs. That's a real tropical airmass getting advected in aloft.

Yeah. The 500mb charts look most depicting. The amount of energy in the trough is just amazing. The trough digs as far south as Florida centered across the Southern GL's region though the vertex and energy get "flushed out" quite quickly when comparing to this recent storm.

The models develop a decent trough near the end of the month as shown below;

post-6644-0-56104900-1318893639.jpg

As you can see above the models develop a nice +PNA with a slight East Based Blocking configuration in the last 5-7 days of the month so we'll have to see if another storm develops around this time frame but the PNA should go negative there after and we may develop a Weak Ridge across the East there after.

Any thoughts?

It was 52/38 when we started at 10 and 63/37 when we finished with winds gusting to 25 and clouds most of the day. When the sun came out it felt great but other than that felt fallish. Today was beautiful. First leaf cleanup done with no sweat.

caribou fur 24/7 up here at 2k

I really think that if we can get that front to stall a little over the south coast of SNE..some of us may be doing the sand bag dance. This is a really tropical airmass that's coming up, as modeled. I suppose the question mark is if the heaviest rain moves just offshore, but I really think it has the potential to dump a lof of rain in a short time, if things come together. Some impressive stuff right here.

I dunno..I just can't get naked over a rainstorm.

Yeah. The 500mb charts look most depicting. The amount of energy in the trough is just amazing. The trough digs as far south as Florida centered across the Southern GL's region though the vertex and energy get "flushed out" quite quickly when comparing to this recent storm.

As you can see above the models develop a nice +PNA with a slight East Based Blocking configuration in the last 5-7 days of the month so we'll have to see if another storm develops around this time frame but the PNA should go negative there after and we may develop a Weak Ridge across the East there after.

Any thoughts?

That trough has been advertised by ENS for a while. Transient cold shot, just like Nov 8 th last year?

I agree. If we can keep some low level forcing over us we could really get drenched.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I think there is room to squeeze another coastal low as we build the ridge in the west and some ridging does occur south of Greenland as you noted. I'm not sold on a sharp cooldown, but maybe there is a day or two where we do have a nice negative departure. Tough to tell as you go out in the ensembles because they tend to dampen out a bit, but I suppose it's possible. Otherwise like Will and others have said...nothing terribly exciting yet and to be honest...that's ok.

LOL. Were you all bundled up for the high of 55F today at 2K? Sweatshirt, coat, hat, gloves, scarf, warm boots? Maybe 4-5 layers on a day like today?

It was below freezing today at 2K.

Below normal for life.

LOL... that is definitely the GC motto.

I like talking about the temps when there is nothing else to talk about... because although I would *love* for it to be -15F departure every day with a building mountain snowpack like some Octobers, it just hasn't been in the cards. I'll acknowledge and love when the temps drop to below normal (I really think truly below normal for a week would be a real shock to 99% of the population in New England outside of GC)... I can't wait for the real cold to get here...but for now this warm period has been impressive.

And I'm talking about purely on paper... not real feel or whatever. Of course its going to feel "cool and comfortable" because its middle of October. If it was below normal it would be downright cold, not cool and comfortable, lol. On paper, the departures in September and so far in October are pretty interesting.

Soon enough MRG and MPM... it'll eventually be below normal with highs in the single digits and snow swirling in the fields.

Yeah I think there is room to squeeze another coastal low as we build the ridge in the west and some ridging does occur south of Greenland as you noted. I'm not sold on a sharp cooldown, but maybe there is a day or two where we do have a nice negative departure. Tough to tell as you go out in the ensembles because they tend to dampen out a bit, but I suppose it's possible. Otherwise like Will and others have said...nothing terribly exciting yet and to be honest...that's ok.

I'm fairly confident the "cool" spell wont last for more than a week at best, perhaps 2-4 days followed by a return to more seasonable temperatures but the active storm track may continue.

The 18z GFS has a mega Nor'Easter 260-284 hours out LOL but it follows my thinking greatly with a nice warm-up there after and a Weak SE Ridge. Surely the snow cover and Ice anomalies are most important and I think they should be building more rapidly across the North than what we have been seeing recently. We may get some decent cold anomalies developing (relative to normal) across Northern Canada 8-12 days out from now, should help build the snow cover/Ice there nicely.

It was 52/38 when we started at 10 and 63/37 when we finished with winds gusting to 25 and clouds most of the day. When the sun came out it felt great but other than that felt fallish. Today was beautiful. First leaf cleanup done with no sweat.

It is all perception... if we start out at 50+ in the morning, its a no-brainer for shorts and a t-shirt. If its 40s consider a hoodie, and if its 30s in the AM, definitely a hoodie. I'm a guy that'll have shorts on until highs dip below 50. Maybe that's why this has felt so warm this fall... I'm still wearing shorts 9 out of 10 days in October so far.

Columbus Day weekend was especially ridiculous... employees were all in shorts at the top of the Gondola all weekend long. Being comfortable in shorts, not really moving or doing any exercise, in October at almost 4,000ft in northern VT... is pretty nuts.

It is all perception... if we start out at 50+ in the morning, its a no-brainer for shorts and a t-shirt. If its 40s consider a hoodie, and if its 30s in the AM, definitely a hoodie. I'm a guy that'll have shorts on until highs dip below 50. Maybe that's why this has felt so warm this fall... I'm still wearing shorts 9 out of 10 days in October so far.

You're like me. I can deal with the cold...it doesn't bother me. I'm always warm for whatever reason.

Archived