• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
The weekend storm.

usedtobe

Justin Berk posted these up on Facebook ... anyone see it?

NOAA December 8th Map Discussion about weekend Part 1:

NOAA December 8th Map Discussion about weekend Part 2:

Justin Berk, Meteorologist Part 2 of the NOAA discussion for this weekend storm.. Stephen Flood shows the worst case scenario... potential blizzard. This is the most extreme model he thought had some life to it. Most likely turning to rain then ending with snow for Mid Atlantic.... but the signs show it could be worse

:whistle:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin Berk, Meteorologist Part 2 of the NOAA discussion for this weekend storm.. Stephen Flood shows the worst case scenario... potential blizzard. This is the most extreme model he thought had some life to it. Most likely turning to rain then ending with snow for Mid Atlantic.... but the signs show it could be worse

:whistle:

That part is a train wreck. I think alluding to this as a potential blizzard is absurd. I like discussions though!

I've only posted somethings back and forth with him a few times. This was back when he used to blog. That was back in 2009.

we did his radio show a few yrs back but havent been in contact with him till recently. i met up to give him a copy of my book and did a short interview with him. he was on his way to ncep after to meet with kocin and apparently the rest..

we did his radio show a few yrs back but havent been in contact with him till recently. i met up to give him a copy of my book and did a short interview with him. he was on his way to ncep after to meet with kocin and apparently the rest..

You did write it? I remember you talking about it last year. About previous DC snowstorms right?

Justin Berk posted these up on Facebook ... anyone see it?

NOAA December 8th Map Discussion about weekend Part 1:

NOAA December 8th Map Discussion about weekend Part 2:

Well, it sure looks like the 18Z GFS is going to lean towards "member 7". It'd be mostly snow or mixed just west of IAD. But...it also appears that the 18Z is basically going to delay phasing a long, long time. As in maybe points NE of NYC would get hammered. Again, just another wild perturbation.

The question did not pertain to what was happening with this system...

The question as it'd pertain to this system is what's germain to this thread. Not to mention that the question was actually asked as the result of the Yoda noting that half the members produce snow (with this system).

I don't disagree with you're exception to my answer, though. I'm about to be guilty of quibiling over semantics to the point of being pedantic. :)

it does seem that way but how do you side with the gfs over the euro?

Especially when the euro ensembles are in its camp. I think it's ensemble mean is suggesting almsot all its members are in the west camp with the ggem and now the 00Z 84 hr NAM. Of course it's the 84 hr nam.I guess one caveat is that it does have a weakness along the east coast but temps are already over zero at 850

post-70-0-97165500-1291864454.gif

With all the model differences and the back and forth, and with even our mets, whose knowledge is amazing, unsure themselves, it will make for an interesting 3-4 days. Looking at the 6z GFS ensembles, there are about 3 or 4 that really forecast an interesting scenario here in the MA. I guess at this point, almost anything is possible, even if it isn't likely. I've seen it mentioned that by tonight at 0z or by morning the models would have better data and presumably a better forecast. I guess we have to wait and see. Meanwhile, we can hope one of those GFS ens. solutions actually happens.

With all the model differences and the back and forth, and with even our mets, whose knowledge is amazing, unsure themselves, it will make for an interesting 3-4 days. Looking at the 6z GFS ensembles, there are about 3 or 4 that really forecast an interesting scenario here in the MA. I guess at this point, almost anything is possible, even if it isn't likely. I've seen it mentioned that by tonight at 0z or by morning the models would have better data and presumably a better forecast. I guess we have to wait and see. Meanwhile, we can hope one of those GFS ens. solutions actually happens.

Well said. Backend snows historically have not amounted to much in our region, but GFS for three straight runs shows that cold infusion could give us at least a chance of a little snow.

6Z GFS is a little weird. Big shift toward the Lakes Cutter idea of the Euro. But with a weaker storm, it leaves some energy down south and doesn't drag (huge) amounts of warm air northward with it. Looks like an anafront situation where we get some snow BEHIND the cold front as the energy is transferred from the Buffalo area to offshore near LI at 0z Monday. Maybe would be worth 1-2" for the area after most of the precip falls as rain.

6Z GFS is a little weird. Big shift toward the Lakes Cutter idea of the Euro. But with a weaker storm, it leaves some energy down south and doesn't drag (huge) amounts of warm air northward with it. Looks like an anafront situation where we get some snow BEHIND the cold front as the energy is transferred from the Buffalo area to offshore near LI at 0z Monday. Maybe would be worth 1-2" for the area after most of the precip falls as rain.

I'm trying to write a CWG piece on the storm now, I'm having a tough call as anafront situations are not that common around here but sometimes occur. It's always a tough as the low level cold advection fights the differential vorticity advection for supremacy. I guess with such a strong anomalous trough, there is the potential.

I'm trying to write a CWG piece on the storm now, I'm having a tough call as anafront situations are not that common around here but sometimes occur. It's always a tough as the low level cold advection fights the differential vorticity advection for supremacy. I guess with such a strong anomalous trough, there is the potential.

Wow, I'd definitely omit that part from the CWG piece. Can't you just say, "the warm, moist air is flowing in towards and along the advancing cold air...this allows the moisture to get lifted above the advancing, dense, cold air...rain might end as a bit of snow" :) just playing around...

Edit, if the 12Z GFS is a sign of things to come you're not going to have to worry about it. With the primary staying that dominant, rather the secondary being that absent, it's just not gonna matter. Down sloping will take care of any moisture we'd need to worry about.

Archived