joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 fall foliage/leaf drop pictures and discussion

earthlight

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peak right now for most of us. It's accurate for my area and seems to be on point for most, save for NYC proper, which probably should be in high color still.

http://www.foliagene...st-us&Itemid=68

Comparing to prior years, we're definitely farther along than most in the past several. We're changing slightly quicker than 2010, but probably a bit behind 2009 and 2006 at this time (for those years, leaves were pretty much down by Halloween/Nov 1st).

Peak right now for most of us. It's accurate for my area and seems to be on point for most, save for NYC proper, which probably should be in high color still.

http://www.foliagene...st-us&Itemid=68

Comparing to prior years, we're definitely farther along than most in the past several. We're changing slightly quicker than 2010, but probably a bit behind 2009 and 2006 at this time (for those years, leaves were pretty much down by Halloween/Nov 1st).

Why is Rhode Island always excluded?

Still lots of green in NE NJ too even in areas that have gotten the pretty chilly lows. Still probably won't have as late a peak as '07 but its getting close (I remember still having plenty of color on Thanksgiving that year)

You've pretty much got a Raleigh climo in terms of overnight lows, so it's not too surprising NYC's in another world compared to the rest of us.

We are probably peaking here although I still see several trees that are almost fully green but the grass is pretty much dead, our growing season (Middlesex County, NJ) was officially over the day the snowstorm hit. Now the part I hate, all the leaves are going to start falling off in buckets in the next 7-10 days, which to me is such a nuisance.

We are probably peaking here although I still see several trees that are almost fully green but the grass is pretty much dead, our growing season (Middlesex County, NJ) was officially over the day the snowstorm hit. Now the part I hate, all the leaves are going to start falling off in buckets in the next 7-10 days, which to me is such a nuisance.

And then you are looking at ugly brown ground until the next snow.

There are about 10% of the trees that simply wont change.

We've had a foot of snow and 3+ nights below freezing but there still summer green.

Everything else is past peak here, 1/3 of the trees are bare

Yup, it's those Bradford Pear trees, they won't change!!

Mine fell over in irene, they don't go to well during big storms when they are in full foliage.

Still a good 85%+ green here. There's one or two species that have a mixture of yellow & green. I see more leaf damage (brown tips) than actual fall foliage.

& yes the grass is very green lol. It's been mostly green since we got out of last year's drought, there was a lot of browning this July though.

Yup, it's those Bradford Pear trees, they won't change!!

Mine fell over in irene, they don't go to well during big storms when they are in full foliage.

I've seen the foliage on Bradford Pears turn a brilliant red in time for Christmas. Its a shame that when they finally stopped planting exotic, invasive, and fragile Norway Maples on every inch of curbside, they replaced them with another fragile exotic that has no business being planted by the millions here.

The color here is moving along quite nicely. Every year is hard to tell because individual trees behave differently each year and from other trees. Essentially if we are near 100% bare by mid November, we are not too far off schedule. Every year has leaf drop considerably later than when I was a kid. 2007 was the latest I have seen; unbelievably late. Peak color didn't occur until Thanksgiving. The last three autumns, the trees were bare weeks earlier.

I took this photo this past Sunday (10/30) in Smithtown. Note the lack of snowcover :(

post-290-0-79798900-1320379617.jpg

Bradford Pears are usually the first to bloom in the spring and last to lose their leaves in the autumn; they're bare about 4-4.5 months of the year, compared to most other tree species, which are bare about 6 months.

Pears usually peak color the second week of November in CNJ, when the majority of trees have lost all their leaves. Peak color for most species has been late October to the beginning of November, then leaves both brown and fall rapidly post November 1st-3rd or so.

The latest peak I remember was 2007, around the second week of Nov for most species, Thanksgiving for the Pears, and some isolated green leaves remained until the beginning of December!

The AMO is most influential in the Sept/Oct months, and given its in the warm phase, that's probably why peak color has been occurring later over the past 20 years compared to a few decades ago (I believe northshorewx mentioned this).

I'm not sure what the normal peak color was for my area back in the 60s/70s/80s, but considering our peak is generally Halloween these days, I'd imagine it was closer to mid October (1-2 weeks earlier).

Still a good 85%+ green here. There's one or two species that have a mixture of yellow & green. I see more leaf damage (brown tips) than actual fall foliage.

& yes the grass is very green lol. It's been mostly green since we got out of last year's drought, there was a lot of browning this July though.

Amazing to see the microclimate of NYC at work. But the UHI does have a powerful effect; I'm in Philly every Monday morning, and the difference between center city and Villanova (15 miles NW and 500ft ASL) is pretty dramatic. Trees this past Monday in Philly were about 50% changed, with the overall landscape still very summer looking. They were further along than you guys in NYC/Queens are describing. In contrast, Villanova's trees have been peak to just past peak since the beginning of this week.

Grass has stopped growing but when you say dead, I think of that yellow/brownish hue it gets every winter. Normally we need at least a few nights in the 10s/20s to change the grass from green to yellow/brown. Most years it happens by early/mid December, then begins the greening process late March/early April w/ onion grass sprouting up initially.

Bradford Pears are usually the first to bloom in the spring and last to lose their leaves in the autumn; they're bare about 4-4.5 months of the year, compared to most other tree species, which are bare about 6 months.

Pears usually peak color the second week of November in CNJ, when the majority of trees have lost all their leaves. Peak color for most species has been late October to the beginning of November, then leaves both brown and fall rapidly post November 1st-3rd or so.

The latest peak I remember was 2007, around the second week of Nov for most species, Thanksgiving for the Pears, and some isolated green leaves remained until the beginning of December!

The AMO is most influential in the Sept/Oct months, and given its in the warm phase, that's probably why peak color has been occurring later over the past 20 years compared to a few decades ago (I believe northshorewx mentioned this).

I'm not sure what the normal peak color was for my area back in the 60s/70s/80s, but considering our peak is generally Halloween these days, I'd imagine it was closer to mid October (1-2 weeks earlier).

most of them (I have a Cleveland pear here) show no color at all right now...around here..

Amazing to see the microclimate of NYC at work. But the UHI does have a powerful effect; I'm in Philly every Monday morning, and the difference between center city and Villanova (15 miles NW and 500ft ASL) is pretty dramatic. Trees this past Monday in Philly were about 50% changed, with the overall landscape still very summer looking. They were further along than you guys in NYC/Queens are describing. In contrast, Villanova's trees have been peak to just past peak since the beginning of this week.

I have color on 100% of the trees and most are near peak. I live in Queens. But if you live near the humid subtropical climate of JFK then it fits his description. It also fits in with most of noreaster's obs.

Archived