• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 fall foliage/leaf drop pictures and discussion

earthlight

Huge foliage explosion here in the past few days.

Now that we have drier weather, the leaves are no longer browning and were seeing some nice oranges and yellows pop up.

I'd say were at moderate, close to high, color

Same here -- I noticed just in the past 24-48 hours in NJ. We've gone from I'd say about 20-25% to 40-45% change within a day or so. Anyone else think this year actually seems early? Maybe due to the excessive rains. I'm noticing a lot of trees that normally turn color 7-10 days from now are already showing a decent amount of change. At the rate we're going, we may be peaking by October 20th.

2007 and 2005 were both horrid, with peaks in the 2nd week of November. This year looks to be much, much earlier.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here -- I noticed just in the past 24-48 hours in NJ. We've gone from I'd say about 20-25% to 40-45% change within a day or so. Anyone else think this year actually seems early? Muiaybe due to the excessive rains. I'm noticing a lot of trees that normally turn color 7-10 days from now are already showing a decent amount of change. At the rate we're going, we may be peaking by October 20th.

2007 and 2005 were both horrid, with peaks in the 2nd week of November. This year looks to be much, much earlier.

Thankgod....let's wrap this landscaping season up

I'll always remember hiking out in Warren county NJ in 2007 in the middle of october and not even a drop of color yet. Quite unprecedented. I noticed just this morning a sudden change. Most of the area still has little color but saw a few bright red trees.

Same here -- I noticed just in the past 24-48 hours in NJ. We've gone from I'd say about 20-25% to 40-45% change within a day or so. Anyone else think this year actually seems early? Maybe due to the excessive rains. I'm noticing a lot of trees that normally turn color 7-10 days from now are already showing a decent amount of change. At the rate we're going, we may be peaking by October 20th.

Many trees in my area are starting to change now.

Well it's only a matter of time before nature takes it's course. That being said, it's interesting to track the first three weeks of October on a year-by-year basis. This year has definitely been lagging behind the typical period for enhanced leaf color and leaf drop. There comes a point where the leaf drop/browing will begin and you'll be left with a poor fall foliage/color season.

Its def a bit behind.....but I would not say the majority is green.....def a rapid change in color the last week......some leaves are falling green...

Yeah the issue I've noticed is a lot changed last week and w/ the 35mph winds yesterday, those trees are now mainly bare. So now we have a scene with some green and some half bare/green trees.

Yeah the issue I've noticed is a lot changed last week and w/ the 35mph winds yesterday, those trees are now mainly bare. So now we have a scene with some green and some half bare/green trees.

Given the cold coming for the second half of this week through Halloween, I'd expect peak to rapidly approach over the next 10 days. Any type of hideous late season peak, like 2007 and 2005 (green trees through nov 10th) should be avoided.

Must not be much color with no new posts in this thread for 5 days.

I think the colors are pretty good actually. Seemed like this season was going to suck, but it's turning out alright.

I'd say we're very close to peak here in Villanova (about 75% changed). Few trees are still completely green.

These pix were from earlier this week around campus:

6jhyef.jpg

2ntdwt0.jpg

2mxk8ba.jpg

w9h5qa.jpg

The difference between the JFK vicinity and the LGA vicinity is quite surprising, NW Queens looks 1-2 weeks ahead of SE Queens as far as fall foliage goes. Every tree on my street is 100% green (minus some Irene damage). I was in College Point and saw a ton of colors, not peak but not far from it.

This is what it looks like here, knocking on November's door:

52d3965ab9514a68bf56d7c051702348_7.jpg

The green is welcome to stay as long as it likes lol, but I wonder how many trees will have leaves in December before they instantly turn brown, this happened to a couple of them around here in 2009 (or 2008?).

Sounds like a big difference b/t the city and suburbia, probably b/c of all the radiational cooling nights where we fells into the 30s/40s and NYC barely made it to 50. The difference between 50F and 40-45F is significant when it comes to activating the chemicals which produce the colorful pigments.

Near peak here in SE PA, maybe 10% green.

Sounds like a big difference b/t the city and suburbia, probably b/c of all the radiational cooling nights where we fells into the 30s/40s and NYC barely made it to 50. The difference between 50F and 40-45F is significant when it comes to activating the chemicals which produce the colorful pigments.

Near peak here in SE PA, maybe 10% green.

moderate color popping on Long Island the last few days

Someone needs to go into the woods and take some pictures :whistle:

Here's some pix I took from earlier today. Keep in mind I'm using my cell phone, so these aren't the best quality. With that said, I can tell you in person the colors aren't all that vibrant, although they are mostly changed.

28kudeb.jpg

2ecqlwm.jpg

29nbatw.jpg

Archived