gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA Fall Thread II

JamieOber

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah yesterday it was showing more cold air and a better track, now it tracks right through PA. If we can get some snow on the backside of the FROPA I'd be pretty happy!

IMHO - you do stand a chance of seeing some flakes - Looks like a bit of a ripper the hours after the FROPA, maybe ends up just west of you in Potter - but I'm hardly knowledgable about these setups. 700mb Rh looks decent enough but no backing HP to set up a wind event from a gradient - could be the main problem.

yeah yesterday it was showing more cold air and a better track, now it tracks right through PA. If we can get some snow on the backside of the FROPA I'd be pretty happy!

Didn't get a chance to check today's runs cause I had first aid training. GFS and Euro actually aren't too far off from one another. GFS just more ambitious on the block. Actually cuts it off and retrogrades it a bit which forces the PV a hair farther South than the Euro.

Not too far off from what we say in '09/'10 like pattern.

WO - 12z GFS make the period for next week very interesting for us ALL in this region.

CAD and cold push arrives about the same time as an imprtnt storm Hrs 162+. Let's see if ECMWF agrees and for more than one run - but this is a very interesting time pd. esp. for the higher elevations.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_12z/avnloopnew.html

FOLLOWING A BRIEF VISIT FROM HIGH PRESSURE...A FAST-MOVG FRONTAL

SYSTEM SHOULD ARRIVE IN PA BY SUN NGT. THIS SYS MOVG FM THE HIGH

PLAINS TO THE NE WILL BE MSTR STARVED AND SHOULD ONLY PRODUCE

SPOTTY/LGT RNFL AMTS. A MORE PRONOUNCED SFC HIGH SHOULD BECOME

ESTABLISHED OVR THE NORTHEAST STATES BY EARLY NEXT WEEK. HOWEVER

MDLS SHOW A STRONG LOW PRES SYS DEVELOPING SOMEWHERE E OF THE MS

RVR AND TRACKING TO THE NW OF THE AREA BY THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK.

THIS SCENARIO WOULD RESULT IN COLD AIR DAMMING AS THE HIGH

RETREATS INTO NEW ENGLD FOLLOWED BY THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

RNFL AS DEEP MSTR IS DRAWN NWD ALONG A N-S FRONTAL ZONE.

Euro looks to be mostly on board with the GFS and a major storm traversing our region - and it seems to have some cold air with it as well. Could we see a heavy wet one? Nice prelude to winter if so. Also got to wonder if this could be the signature storm ala the LRC threory.

its a bad omen -lol.

at least we have the possibility of something exciting and its only october :thumbsup:

Agreed, although you clearly have more to watch than say, my region. In all fairness Henry is competent enough - but never once, in 3+ years, has he agreed with me and the forecast come out as we both expected it might.

Ummm - don't look now but CTP is looking to climb on board

COMPARING THE ECM AND GFS SHOWS SOME DISCREPANCY OVER THE

STRENGHTH OF THE GREENLAND RIDGE. ITS ULTIMATE POSITION AND MUSCLE

WILL DETERMINE HOW DEEP THE TROUGH WILL DIG OVER THE EASTERN U.S.

AND IF IT WILL CLOSE OFF. IN ANY EVENT...TEMPERATURES WILL COOL

OFF BY THURSDAY WITH SOME FLAKES POSSIBLE. LEFT OUT ANY MENTION OF

-SN UNTIL WE GET SOME CONSISTENT MODEL AGREEMENT...IF AT ALL.-- End Changed Discussion --

:whistle:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=CTP&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Ya, but there's not... so as it stands we'll have to settle for whatever Lake Effect flurries can make their way over the mountains. :arrowhead:

Which is still doin pretty good in these parts for late October. It def seems like a pretty decent chance of getting the flakes to fly in the Laurel's at the very least. It'll likely be a more classic first true intrusion of cold and flakes in the post-frontal NW flow regime vs any kind of synoptic deal with the low pressure system.

Which is still doin pretty good in these parts for late October. It def seems like a pretty decent chance of getting the flakes to fly in the Laurel's at the very least. It'll likely be a more classic first true intrusion of cold and flakes in the post-frontal NW flow regime vs any kind of synoptic deal with the low pressure system.

Agreed on all counts. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some flakes in State College. ^_^

Ya, but there's not... so as it stands we'll have to settle for whatever Lake Effect flurries can make their way over the mountains. :arrowhead:

Boo guys. Just boo. I need to move on the other side of the mountains. Tired of being on the wrong side of the dam.

Hmm... as of hr 144 so far on the 12z GFS, I'm quite interested to see what's about to happen on the model.

EDIT: Not quite what I was hoping for. :arrowhead:

Step in right direction. More energy held back in the base of the troff. Neat lil clipper system suddenly present that run too.

I'm guessing you were hoping clipper diving down + held back energy = BOOM.

Me too. sad.gif

Archived