• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA Fall Thread II

JamieOber

Kickass map!!! I love it. Have you been experimenting with different types of maps since you work with GIS? I'm going to have to check out your site, I hope you post more of these. If its not to much to ask, I have two suggestions if its ok with you but don't be mad at me. The temperatures between 40-60°F are heard to distinguish since the colors blend on the same color scale and is there a set determined color for 32°F because I think that would be a good eye catcher. Everything else is amazing, great detail.

I did not make this map. This site is operated by a friend of mine; his GIS and coding experience far exceeds mine.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbsdown:

MEDIUM RANGE MODEL AND ENSEMBLE DATA ALL INDICATE THE STRONG UPPER

RIDGE WILL BREAK DOWN BY THE LATER PART OF NEXT WEEK...AS

SOUTHERLY FLOW WITH A POSSIBLE TROPICAL CONNECTION MOVES INTO THE

REGION. THE CURRENT MODEL TIMING SUGGESTS OUR THREAT OF RAIN WOULD

BE WED-THU. HEAVY PRECIPITATION REMAINS A POSSIBILITY BUT GIVEN IT

IS IN THE DAY 7 TO DAY 8 PERIODS WILL WAIT ON ANY SPECIFIC AMOUNT. A

DEEPER TROUGH LOOKS TO DEEPEN WITH ENERGY DIVING SOUTH EASTERLY

FROM THE INTERMOUNTAIN WEST AND EVENTUALLY CARVING OUT A LONG WAVE

TROUGH OVR THE E-CNTRL CONUS BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK.

State College's recent thoughts

A bit OT, but considering the sky conditions, I bet this weekend would be a great time to drive up to Cherry Springs state park, and check out the stars.

Some of you folks aren't too far from there.

Cherry Springs as in Potter County?? lol yep 20 minutes away! But I live out in the middle of nowhere the stars are always bright here :thumbsup: so I normally don't have to go anywhere haha, but it is beautiful up there. My temp got down to 32.8°F this morning and really foggy. Skies are completely clear tonight again and colder at this time now than yesterday. I think the temps are going to get colder tonight than forecasted at least for here. I'm willing to bet we hit at least 34°F, the forecast from NWS is 38°F so we will see.

Cherry Springs as in Potter County?? lol yep 20 minutes away! But I live out in the middle of nowhere the stars are always bright here :thumbsup: so I normally don't have to go anywhere haha, but it is beautiful up there. My temp got down to 32.8°F this morning and really foggy. Skies are completely clear tonight again and colder at this time now than yesterday. I think the temps are going to get colder tonight than forecasted at least for here. I'm willing to bet we hit at least 34°F, the forecast from NWS is 38°F so we will see.

I think he meant that because Cherry Springs is considered one of the darkest spots on the East Coast.

I have a deer camp in Germania.

I think he meant that because Cherry Springs is considered one of the darkest spots on the East Coast.

I have a deer camp in Germania.

yeah I figured as much, I was just saying I don't have to travel to see the stars, I'm out in the middle of nowhere and its plenty dark to see the stars on just about any clear night :) and Germania is a nice place also, just on the otherside of Galeton. I wouldn't mind moving to Cherry Springs because of the extra 1,000ft of elevation lol. It's like a whole new climate environment up there, usually some 4-5 cooler than most places in Potter including me. For anyone that cares, I'm down to 39.2°F already! hopefully the fog stays away to allow for optimal cooling.

CSSP - went to many a woodsman's carnival up there back in the day - every August. My brothers and I were up at the exhibits once (it's in August) and a very fast lightning storm rolled in. 6 people were killed at the park, including a man who we'd been standing right next to before we decided to run for the tents on the other side of the road. Also 2 lovers huddled under an umbrella too close to the flag pole out front of the office - flag pole was struck and bent at a 30 angle, arched over and struck their umbrella. We had just run past them when the fatal bolt struck ( I think I can still hear the crack from that bolt - I know my hair stood up on the back of my neck). Year was about 1974.

Adn the airfield where a pilot died after being downdrafted at the dump end of the runway. And a disabled DC-9 had to emergency land there on its way to NJ in a very heavy fog (plane had a hydraulic leak). I was buying an ice cream sandwhich when the call came in from the pilot to the control tower (read: small office/store). It was amazing to see that puppy drop through the cloud deck when all you had been used to seeing were Pipers and Cessna's.

Speaking of the air-strip, at 16 I got a literal interpretation from a gal from Bellefonte who enjoined me to the antithesis of the "mile high club". Midnight on the runway - the strobing of the landing lights and the mild buzz of a two of the old man's pilfered beers made that quite a memory. ;)

I try to get up for the Orionid Meteor show - you can see the Milky Way so clearly some nights that it seems as if you can reach up and pull it from the sky.

Taking best guesses at daytime maxima throughout the region for Sun - Tues: I say Monday tops at 85 in the Grtr Hbg Region. What say you about your areas (highest reading of any given day)??

I'll get back to you on that. Like to take another round of MOS in and let the Euro update one more time....right now I'm thinking 80 max.

Both of my back yard temps show a max of 82 yesterday. My 85 may represent the widespread back yard readings. Plenty of these running around this past weekend :bike: including yours truly.

It's a Flood Make Up Day for alot of schools in the region. First time I've ever heard of the children having to make up days for anything that happened in the summer

CSSP - went to many a woodsman's carnival up there back in the day - every August. My brothers and I were up at the exhibits once (it's in August) and a very fast lightning storm rolled in. 6 people were killed at the park, including a man who we'd been standing right next to before we decided to run for the tents on the other side of the road. Also 2 lovers huddled under an umbrella too close to the flag pole out front of the office - flag pole was struck and bent at a 30 angle, arched over and struck their umbrella. We had just run past them when the fatal bolt struck ( I think I can still hear the crack from that bolt - I know my hair stood up on the back of my neck). Year was about 1974.

Adn the airfield where a pilot died after being downdrafted at the dump end of the runway. And a disabled DC-9 had to emergency land there on its way to NJ in a very heavy fog (plane had a hydraulic leak). I was buying an ice cream sandwhich when the call came in from the pilot to the control tower (read: small office/store). It was amazing to see that puppy drop through the cloud deck when all you had been used to seeing were Pipers and Cessna's.

Speaking of the air-strip, at 16 I got a literal interpretation from a gal from Bellefonte who enjoined me to the antithesis of the "mile high club". Midnight on the runway - the strobing of the landing lights and the mild buzz of a two of the old man's pilfered beers made that quite a memory. ;)

I try to get up for the Orionid Meteor show - you can see the Milky Way so clearly some nights that it seems as if you can reach up and pull it from the sky.

I witnessed a lightning strike that didn't kill anyone but hurt two people. I was walking to my car after fishing down at Caledonia State Park and it hit a tree. The two injured people weren't hurt real bad but it was scary enough. That was in the late 80s.

don't look now guys, but a possible snow chance in 9 days :weight_lift: wow what a storm progged, if we get a touch more cold air within the next couple runs, somebody could cash in!

0z GFS is not a favorable track this time of year to get enough cold air in place before precip (850mb temps would start out near 10oC). Would be a rain event that may kick off some lake effect snow on the back side.

After a week of much needed dry weather... looks to be a rather wet 2nd half of this week..... NAM really targeting central PA

post-285-0-19293700-1318337458.png

http://wxcaster.com/gis-radar-overlays.php3?STATIONID=CCX

0z GFS is not a favorable track this time of year to get enough cold air in place before precip (850mb temps would start out near 10oC). Would be a rain event that may kick off some lake effect snow on the back side.

After a week of much needed dry weather... looks to be a rather wet 2nd half of this week..... NAM really targeting central PA

http://wxcaster.com/gis-radar-overlays.php3?STATIONID=CCX

Damn - west branch of the suskie will take on a whole lot of rain if NAM verifies. Good news though is that we're no longer in a classic Omega so systems should be short lived and move along nicely. Also, Euro does show this event but not as a cold solution until after the front moves through - even then ridging builds in close behind.

Nice foliage starting to appear though - some pleasant rides on the "iron horse" yesterday and Sunday.

http://wxcaster.com/...3?STATIONID=CCX

Precisely what I was thinking. Long range Euro wants to go Miller B. Just dreams at this point.

Archived