e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
12z Model Thread 12/8

Alpha5

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider something like the 12z Euro or even the GGEM to be the most likely outcome. We're really going to need some luck with the orientation of the Canadian vortex to keep the developing mid continent storm from really pumping up heights up through Ontario/Quebec. With such a strong thermal gradient and plenty of jet energy barreling into the trof, this thing just wants to sharpen and strengthen. And there's nothing to push back against it.

That secondary vort below the main PV in Canada clearly visible from 72 hours over northern ALB/SASK and then 96 over International Falls is suspicious if you ask me...that may be what is causing the early major phase.

So basically that vortex is creating a bridge for the two pieces of energy to connect much earlier than they would have? Funny how it just at the right place at the right time to link up the two.

That secondary vort below the main PV in Canada clearly visible from 72 hours over northern ALB/SASK and then 96 over International Falls is suspicious if you ask me...that may be what is causing the early major phase.

I only have the low resolution penn state maps for vorticity with the euro, but I was noticing that piece as well. It doesnt look like a feature that exists on the gfs?

so lets see...it's the gfs/ukie vs ggem/euro. hmmmm...going to go with the ggem/euro here :lol:

I normally would trust the Euro but its inconsistency the las 2 runs while every other model seemed to move east makes me have to hold off a bit longer...my initial guess was no secondary with the primary just cutting over PIT/BUF....perhaps I should have stuck with that idea but I'm not convinced yet.

Mixed signals, encouraging and discouraging, right now the big cities should hope for a continued depiction of some back-end snows, as the low tracks north, but that's only if it comes east like the GFS. We're still 96+ hours out, so tonight is important in seeing whether the 12z Euro has some credence, or the 12z GFS.

When the UK is an outlier with deepening mid-level cyclones, it's usually wrong (this is true on its face for any model projection, but esp the UK). I feel like the 12z GFS is the best case scenario and somewhere between there and the Euro is what we'll get. Mega blocking cutoff with bitter cold and occasional snow showers is what we have in store after cold rain.

Ensembles show plenty of spread to keep interest fortunately.

If I remember correctly, the Euro showed the 12/19 storm first in the 156 hour range and then lost it, squashing to our south.

It bough it back north during its 12z run on 12/17.

NAM had it from 84 hours out and never waivered. Same with UKMET.

Archived