Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Katia

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One word:

FISH

Not necessarily. This one is coming off at a lower latitude than even Irene... around 10 deg N... and actually has a motion that is south of due west. Several of the global models that are tracking this into the open Atlantic are initializing too far northwest on the storm already, because of the lead impulses ahead of it... and the overall pressure envelope in the ITCZ is so low. It is way far and away too early to just assume this is going to fish.

It's possible. It's just way premature to jump to that conclusion yet, especially when it's showing common climatological signals that we've developed over decades of hurricane forecasting... that point toward the system not easily recurving... such as coming offshore at such a low latitude, having a south of due west motion... which means it's actually slightly losing latitude, etc. Things like this are MUCH more important than, for example, one run of a Euro or GFS model prog at 240 hours out, or something similar to that.

Orange - 30%

1. A TROPICAL WAVE CENTERED A FEW HUNDRED MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE CAPE

VERDE ISLANDS IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR

DEVELOPMENT OF THIS WAVE DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AS IT MOVES

WESTWARD AT 10 MPH. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30

PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Beginning to see it on the Precip. Water.

latest72hrs.gif

I'm not a pro-met, but from the looks of it my guess is not a U.S. threat, but it's so far down the road, you never know.

Anyone calling this a fish or anything else has already forgotten how much the models changed with Irene. She went from a GOM no way she recurves to a NC landfall.

Henry Marguisity is saying the euro shows this over NYC on 9/11 . does anyone have the link to back up his statement ?

Wow. I seriously hope he didn't say anything like that. First off, the EURO does not run that far out in time. Second if that's some sort of extrapolation, that's just grossly morbid to mention on that particular date and location.

Here is the most recent EURO…note that the latest frame only goes out to the evening of 9/6.

00zeurotropical500mbSLP240.gif

Models have been trending west with this over the last 48 hours. Definitely one to monitor. It's quite a bit more likely than the average Cape Verde system to be a U.S. threat given the anticipated S of W motion and the fact that the Euro shows the mean trough in the Midwest rather than the east coast with strongly positive NAO.

Henry Margusity said this:

"What bothers me about the next hurricane, the Euro model shows it right next to NYC on 9/11 which would be a terrible terrible thing to happen."

He said it on his Henry Margusity Facebook Fan Club page.

Ok makes sense. I thought he was referring to his recent video.

Facebook message heard round the world

I'm sorry, but this is borderline irresponsible. We know Henry M.'s tendencies, but the general public doesn't. It's one thing to show something like that for kicks, but to lead with "What bothers me about the next hurricane..." (it's an INVEST last I checked) is in poor taste. Is anyone else here "bothered" by a 300hr prog and, if so, would you feel the need to use a position of some influence to share it with everyone?

Yeah we totally don't need a National Weather Service. Let's trust the safety and well-being of 300 million people to this garbage-spewing ratings whore instead.

Now I didn't want to turn this into a Henry/AccuWx bashing thread. I just felt moved to object to what he wrote.

I'm sorry, but this is borderline irresponsible. We know Henry M.'s tendencies, but the general public doesn't. It's one thing to show something like that for kicks, but to lead with "What bothers me about the next hurricane..." (it's an INVEST last I checked) is in poor taste. Is anyone else here "bothered" by a 300hr prog and, if so, would you feel the need to use a position of some influence to share it with everyone?

This.

That's why I asked for a link. I had to see it to believe it. Why would he say something so alarmist regarding a 300 hour prog. Henry seems like a nice guy, but that fb post wasn't smart.

Archived