• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Katia

chill...it's common for the eye to wax and wane in size, shape, and clarity when a hurricane is starting to develop one.

it was just a question in terms of what is going on structure wise with the core. It seems to early for an eyewall replacement cycle and it appears to be strengthening quickly

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that a true "pinhole" eye? There was a larger ragged eye on the last few frames before being replaced by this

No, it's just thunderstorm growth in the eyewall with some of the outflow obscuring part of the eye.

Btw, in the initial formation of the eye, look mainly at visible, because the eye is often less noticeable on IR if there is cold cirrus over it

it was just a question in terms of what is going on structure wise with the core. It seems to early for an eyewall replacement cycle and it appears to be strengthening quickly

the point is that if you microanalyze every frame you'll drive yourself crazy and be called a weenie.

Not much is going on. Check out the visible, the eye's character hasn't changed much. It's just a thin layer of cirrus over the eye.

Hurricane Katia Forecast/Discussion:

Hurricane Katia has undergone rapid intensification today and is now a catagory two hurricane on the Saffir Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Katia had a very well defined eye on satellite imagery earlier this afternoon, but the eye has filled somewhat since. The hurricane is exhibiting an eyewall with cold cloud tops (-70C) especially in the western quadrants, with a possibly struggling eyewall especially in the eastern quadrants, perhaps suggesting some dry air entrainment. Based on this information, believe that Katia's intensification may have stopped for now.

Over the past several hours Katia's motion has been a fairly steady 305/10kt*. The hurricane is being steered by the southwestern periphery of a rather small sub-tropical ridge located to the northeast of the hurricane, and because of this the general NW motion is expected to continue in the short term as the hurricane remains well south of the westerlies and as the pattern over the eastern US slows down as the remnants of tropical storm Lee interact with a mid level trough over the Ohio/Tennessee Valleys. This will occur due to the westerlies being much farther north than normal, due to a -PNA and +NAO, which is shown well on the 0z ECM Ensembles. Because of this, the track of Tropical Storm Lee's remnants will be very important to this track forecast, which will result in less than normal confidence in the track forecast days 4-5.

However, given that a trough will be in place over the Eastern US in the short term and that given Lee and Katia will be both on the western side of ridging when the trough moves off to the northeast in the coming days, I believe it will be hard for ridging to build back in north of Katia to the east coast and force the hurricane westward. The 12z European Model showed this well compared to the model's 0z run, as the heart of the ridging is clearly east of the hurricane and the heart of the ridging and is already parallel to Katia, showing it will be hard for ridging to build back in to the north of the system. In fact, the majority of the 12z global models showed this and showed Katia remaining safely off the southeast US coastline. By the time Katia passes the latitude of Bermuda it should be well on the northwestern periphery of the subtropical Atlantic ridging and will begin to approach the westerlies. Given this, will forecast a continued NW motion in the first 72 hours as the hurricane remains on the southwestern edge of ridging to its east, and will then show a turn to the north by day 5, well off the southeastern US coastline, as the hurricane rounds the west side of the rather small area of high pressure.

It appears as though Katia's explosive intensification from this morning is done as noted above, and the hurricane currently is experiencing 10-20 kts of southeasterly shear per current shear analysis. The hurricane currently appears to be on the edge of an upper level anti-cyclone, with an enhanced upper level flow near the hurricane due to a small upper low to its northeast. Over the next 48 hours this upper level low is prognosticated to weaken and the hurricane is expected to gradually move under the upper level anti-cyclone. In addition, the hurricane will remain over SSTs of 28-30C for the next 4-5 days. Although the depth of the warmth is not particuarly impressive in Katia's path, the fairly warm sea surface temperatures, normal forward speed and improving upper level environment should allow for further intensification, likely rather modest, over the next 48 hours followed by a gradual leveling off in intensity and weakening by day 5, as the hurricane approaches cooler waters and begins feeling increasing southwesterly shear in response to apporaching the westerlies. This forecast brings Katia up to a major hurricane which is in good agreement with the 12z global models, of which the CMC, GFS, and Euro all showed Katia deepening significantly over the coming days. Katia should weaken below major hurricane status by day 5, which is in fairly good agreement with the most recent ATCF intensity guidance.

Forecast track:

katiapath.png

Intensity:

Initial (15z Sunday): 85kt/Cat 2

12 hours (6z Monday): 85kt/Cat 2

24 hours (18z Monday): 90kt/Cat 2

36 hours (6z Tuesday): 95kt/Cat 2

48 hours (18z Tuesday): 100kt/Cat 3

72 hours (18z Wednesday): 100kt/Cat 3

96 hours (18z Thursday): 95kt/Cat 2

120 hours (18z Friday): 85kt/Cat 2

(Not spell checked, I'm sure there were some interesting spellings in there)

The 12z ECWMF trended back to the east mainly because the upper level feature that is associated with Lee also trended stronger and further east. The ECWMF is now much more in line with the GFS. Again it seems that the strength of the cutoff low associated with Lee is going to affect how this plays out, and it seems that this run was a step towards the 12z GFS.

The 12z ECWMF trended back to the east mainly because the upper level feature that is associated with Lee also trended stronger and further east. The ECWMF is now much more in line with the GFS. Again it seems that the strength of the cutoff low associated with Lee is going to affect how this plays out, and it seems that this run was a step towards the 12z GFS.

Yeah,the GFS Ensembles timing and tracks are not that far off from the Euro today.

Currently, it looks like Katia is undergoing an eyewall replacement cycle. In the short term we might see a bit of weakening, but ultimately Katia will blossom again as the new eywall closes off fully and we see the diameter stabilize at around 30mi.

As for the track guidance, it looks like the ECWMF is now in very good agreement with the GFS about a re-curving system well offshore the United States. It teased us for a few runs in the past 24 hours, but ultimately it looks like the mid-level cutoff low associated with the remnants of lee will be too strong and too far to the east to allow a further westward track. The +AO and +NAO will likely not allow too much ridging to build in northward as well, so I'm still confident in my sharp re-curvature scenario.

Looks like that Eyewall Replacement Cycle is going well

post-2153-0-25797600-1315210839.jpg

Yep... From the looks of it this was underway this afternoon and is just now starting to complete. This term gets overused, but I think we are going to have a beautiful annular storm later today as the enhanced IR presentation improves. I still think my max intensity of 120 knots looks good, but may happen a little earlier than expected given how quickly the storm completed this EWRC.

The +AO and +NAO will likely not allow too much ridging to build in northward as well, so I'm still confident in my sharp re-curvature scenario.

It seems that the idea above is so very important. The Mid-hemispheric Atlantic Ridge is flattening like

a souffle after the oven door was opened and then slammed. Poooof...Katia will more likely slide south of Greenland

and Iceland than threaten Cape Cod.

Yesterday, I had been leaning toward a somewhat more westward course for Katia, but the GFS's consistency farther east suggested caution and I held off making any adjustments to my estimated track. Overnight and through 6z, the guidance has moved toward consensus east of earlier Euro runs. At the same time, the GFS has persisted in a somewhat less dramatic turn to the right. Hence, I've left my track as it was:

Estimated Track:

17.5N 52.8W; Actual: 17.5N 52.4; Error: 26 miles--1.5 hours in advance

20.0N 56.8W; Actual: 20.0N 57.0W; Error: 13 miles--33.0 hours in advance

25.0N 63.9W

30.0N 72.0W

35.0N 69.6W

40.0N 63.5W

In terms of intensity, depending on which satellite guidance one uses, Katia is currently rated T5.0 or T5.5 on the Dvorak scale. A compromise would bring the storm's winds to about 95 knots/110 mph. So, at least according to the satellite data, Katia is nearing major hurricane status. I expect Katia to grow into a major hurricane later today en route to eventually peaking at perhaps Category 4.

Finally, well behind Katia at around 9.5N 29.6W, there is a tropical wave with maximum sustained winds of nearly 30 mph. That system may bear watching down the road.

Yep... From the looks of it this was underway this afternoon and is just now starting to complete. This term gets overused, but I think we are going to have a beautiful annular storm later today as the enhanced IR presentation improves. I still think my max intensity of 120 knots looks good, but may happen a little earlier than expected given how quickly the storm completed this EWRC.

The anti-Irene.

Archived