12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Irene Pictures, Videos & Images Thread

earthlight

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tornado confirmed in Cunningham park. Told you.

I saw what Tornadic damage looks like from what I saw after last Septemer's historic event and I was 99% sure that Fresh Meadows was hit with an EF0 tornado.

He downplays everything. Why you even listen/talk to him is beyond me.

Was that area in Queens a suspected tornado right away? Just wondering if people reported seeing it, or was it just Ag3 doing the survey. :lol:

Yes. There was a tornado warning on it that night.

It was obvious. All around that area there was a tree down here and there. And then all of a sudden, in a 3-4 block area, there were a dozen trees scattered in all different directions.

That one pic didn't look like TOR damage, Im sure other areas did.

Yes. But then I specifically stated that inside the park, where I couldn't get into, there were at least 10 trees tossed and scattered in all different directions. Plus there was a clear twisting in the smaller trees and shrub.

I knew it was a Tornado..I kept asking everyone before a warning was issued if what were experiencing is an F0

That cell was warned before it got to Queens. The cell started in SW Nassau and traveled NNW and thru Queens.

Touched down in the Fresh Meadows area and then it crossed very near LGA. LGA reported it's highest winds of 52mph sustained with a 67mph gust right when that cell crossed very near them.

Yes. There was a tornado warning on it that night.

It was obvious. All around that area there was a tree down here and there. And then all of a sudden, in a 3-4 block area, there were a dozen trees scattered in all different directions.

Oh ok...didn't know it had a warning on it. Well it would make sense then, based on your description of the way the trees fell.

So I guess the gust at Sayville would be tstm related and not directly from Irene. I'm not sure how that would take place, but I think it would be called tstm wind gust if they labeled it a microburst, but you have convective dowbursts like that in hurricanes. Kind of confusing.

Sorry for the long delay, guys. My power was just restored at around 5PM. Basically, the surge came in at around 8:15-8:30, and my block near the bay began to flood pretty severely-close to 3 feet or so of water near the end of the block. Luckily for me, the water began to retreat and was basically gone from my block at around 11AM. Then, I went out and snapped these. As you can see, surge effects were pretty intense near Broadway (road nearest the beach), mud/foam/sand was littered everywhere. There was also quite a bit of tree damage and siding blown off a building near my house. All in all, the wind was pretty good but nowhere near hurricane force (I would estimate we had some 65mph gusts), and the water was certainly a big impact. It just about all came at once and flooded through town. As you can see, quite a bit of flooding persisted several hours after the surge left and tide receded near the beach.

It really wouldn't have taken that much more of a surge to put the rest of the barrier island under water.

It was really wild to see the surge push all the way up to Park along National and Laurelton.

I was able to get a photo of all the foam along the side of the Long Beach Diner . I had to give

the floor mat in my car a good washing since it was covered in the foam from my shoes.arrowheadsmiley.png

Yes. But then I specifically stated that inside the park, where I couldn't get into, there were at least 10 trees tossed and scattered in all different directions. Plus there was a clear twisting in the smaller trees and shrub.

There's a small swath of destroyed trees on the southbound side of the Clearview Expressway right as the ramp to the Grand Central starts. Almost looks like they cut down like a corridor of trees.

• 1 month later...

Sorry im late on this thread my comp was broken all summer and just got it fixed. This has to be one of my favorite vids of all time. i think i have watched it 50 times.

What did it with Irene in my estimation flooding wise on the direct ocean front was a an extreme wave run-up situation rather then the height of the actual surge.

The New York Harbor Buoy just came back online NDBC has posted some of the significant wave heights from during the storm peaking at over 26 feet at 14.8 seconds. The combination of the long swell period and near onshore direction was a perfect wave run-up situation as opposed to your traditional noreaster which generally have lower swell periods and more side shore swell direction leading to less direct ocean front flooding. The direct ocean front flooding during 3/2010 was nearly nonexistent in comparison.

All in all, for Western LI that was one hell of an ocean front surge event!!

Archived