joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob's track was WELL east of what we are dealing with and Gloria was moving more quickly.

I'm aware of that. And roads and bridges were not closed where Bob tracked. The notion that Irene is going to crawl as she moves up here I find ridiculous too. What makes you think that Irene isn't going to accelerate as almost every tropical system does as they move n-ward? In fact, several of the better model runs have clearly hinted at that it I would be amazed if she doesn't dramatically pick up forward speed once passed NC.

WX/PT

I'm aware of that. And roads and bridges were not closed where Bob tracked. The notion that Irene is going to crawl as she moves up here I find ridiculous too. What makes you think that Irene isn't going to accelerate as almost every tropical system does as they move n-ward? In fact, several of the better model runs have clearly hinted at that it I would be amazed if she doesn't dramatically pick up forward speed once passed NC.

WX/PT

Of course she'll accelerate but this is an enormous storm we are talking about.

WX/PT

The quicker it comes the better, right now the center is still close to high tide times for most spots, if it can accelerate 3-4 more hours with the hard core surge arriving 3-4am we could escape with a slack tide arrival vs high....I do think it will move quite fast, usually these are at least 25 mph.

The quicker it comes the better, right now the center is still close to high tide times for most spots, if it can accelerate 3-4 more hours with the hard core surge arriving 3-4am we could escape with a slack tide arrival vs high....I do think it will move quite fast, usually these are at least 25 mph.

All the tolls on 95 should slow her down quite a bit.

Yeah-I don't buy the NAM's arrival time at 1-2pm for a second. My fear is it arrives around daybreak to 8am Sunday with the new moon enhanced high tide tacking on

several more feet to the surge. That could really be devastating for perhaps over a million people.

this is not going to cause flooding and devestation for everyone. It's going to be hit and miss whether a tree falls on one person's house and not another's.

my fear is an unprecedented loss of power (in pure numbers of people), and the added delay that would cause in restoring power.

a lot of people may be without power for many days.... and that sucks big time.

News 7 said..if you leave on 10th floor > to go lower floors.. because for example a 60mph wind on a 10th floor..is a 112mph on a 20th floor.

It applies more to NYC due to the number of and close proximity of > 10 story skyscrapers next to each other. Areas like ours along the cliffs in New Jersey that have skyscrapers will not have this sensation as much I think as the skyscrapers are further apart, are less in number and will feature less of a funneling effect.

A note on the 1938 hurricane

In all, 600 people died. Ten of those deaths were in New York City. Flooding knocked out electrical power in all areas above 59th Street in Manhattan and in all of the Bronx. A hundred large trees in Central Park were destroyed.Over a four-day period, the 1938 storm dropped an average of 11 inches of rain over a 10,000-square-mile area, according to the National Weather Service. Flooding inflicted major damage through Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont, causing more than $300 million in losses. batn6_hg.png

Archived