Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country Late Summer & Fall Thread

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lake Erie is 76 steamy degrees today ,which has only ever happened one other time in record keeping history (1973) for lake erie. Records date back over 80 years so this is certainly impressive. Looking good for lake effect season once we can bring down the colder air from up north :thumbsup:

I'm hoping some of the snowsqualls off Lake Huron and Georgian Bay make it as far south as markham, Ontario this winter. :snowman:

???

You didn't see my post in another thread? I have moved to Toronto for school, although I will still be visiting Ottawa from time to time, and plan to continue posting here in the upstate forum. I figure since people from Buffalo post here, I can too. It is my hope that you will include Toronto and Markham on your snow forecasts this upcoming winter!

I was watching the tropical stuff and not even paying attention to the severe chances here in our area....

NOUS41 KALY 050103

PNSALY

NYZ047>053-051315-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

903 PM EDT SUN SEP 4 2011

...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TO CONDUCT STORM SURVEY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY WILL CONDUCT A STORM SURVEY

TOMORROW TO INVESTIGATE PATH AND INTENSITY OF A POSSIBLE TORNADO

IN MONTGOMERY AND SCHENECTADY COUNTIES.

THERE IS VIDEO EVIDENCE OF A TORNADO IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY. THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILL CONDUCT THE SURVEY TOMORROW TO

VERIFY THE TORNADO...DAMAGE...PATH...AND INTENSITY.

$$

OKEEFE

I was at a party and miss all the excitement....I didn't know about it until I got home and had a message from Andy...... :-(

I was watching the tropical stuff and not even paying attention to the severe chances here in our area....

NOUS41 KALY 050103

PNSALY

NYZ047>053-051315-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

903 PM EDT SUN SEP 4 2011

...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TO CONDUCT STORM SURVEY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY WILL CONDUCT A STORM SURVEY

TOMORROW TO INVESTIGATE PATH AND INTENSITY OF A POSSIBLE TORNADO

IN MONTGOMERY AND SCHENECTADY COUNTIES.

THERE IS VIDEO EVIDENCE OF A TORNADO IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY. THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILL CONDUCT THE SURVEY TOMORROW TO

VERIFY THE TORNADO...DAMAGE...PATH...AND INTENSITY.

$

OKEEFE

I was doing the same thing Rick. I've been doing analysis of Katia, Lee, and Irene last week......I knew some of the storms would be strong to severe.....But, I was surprised when I got home tonight and saw the intensity of the storms earlier in the Mohawk Valley and Capital District.

Did anyone else notice the first legit lake enhanced precipitation on the Buffalo radar this afternoon? Lake Ontario is definitely tossing in some moisture and instability on a NW flow, which is injecting itself in the synoptic mid level precip that is advecting NE. It has brought some locally intense downpours to the Western sections of Monroe county. Pretty awesome meso-scale interaction if you ask me.

post-912-0-47380800-1315247252.gif

I didnt know if i should post this here or in the Irene thread...but does anyone know how High Falls Gorge and Ausable Chasm made out with flooding damage? Heading up to lake placid at least twice in the next couple months....just trying to get an idea of how bad the area is.

I didnt know if i should post this here or in the Irene thread...but does anyone know how High Falls Gorge and Ausable Chasm made out with flooding damage? Heading up to lake placid at least twice in the next couple months....just trying to get an idea of how bad the area is.

It doesn't look good at High Falls Gorge:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/526354/Irene-blasted-famed-attractions-in-Wilmington.html?nav=5227

Ausable Chasm seems to be ok:

http://www.ausablechasm.com/irene.asp

BGM is approaching Historic flooding on the Susquehanna River

I just drove over the Susquehenna on my way to work in Cooperstown.

Scary.

The river is raging far our of its banks. Higher than I can remember even with spring runoff flooding.

Points downriver are going to see some real ugliness as today goes on.

I just drove over the Susquehenna on my way to work in Cooperstown.

Scary.

The river is raging far our of its banks. Higher than I can remember even with spring runoff flooding.

Points downriver are going to see some real ugliness as today goes on.

they are talking it will top the 2006 floods there.

The GFS has been very consistent in bringing down some cold (for september standards) air. The 18z, 00z, and 06z models all show 850mb temps droping below 0c even as low as -3c. Now while its still pretty far out, its not that far out (150hr). If these temperatures verified there would be plenty of lake effect rain with temps in the 40s and 50s.:arrowhead:

they are talking it will top the 2006 floods there.

2006, i just looked at the streamflows real quick. one of them were saying we'd be approaching the '36 flood levels, binghamton is about to top the floodwall, most of the gauges downstream of binghamton are looking at near-record or record-breaking streamflows to either 1936 levels or agnes levels. the dikes and dams better hold this time, or we're going to have a replay of one of the worst disasters in the history of the susquehanna river valley. i have more than a few folks and friends back in the wilkes-barre-scranton area, and i have seen the pics from agnes. not sure they can recover this time like they did last time, since we don't have a congressman with the pull like dan flood did.

btw, hwy 87 in montoursville is closed after a bridge collapse over loyalsock creek, and i-80 is closed i would imagine from west of coyngham to maybe near bloomsburg/buckhorn, and we may have some mudslides/rockslides on i-81, both major highways for trade and travel (please confirm locally, but that's my guess).

Archived