Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country Late Summer & Fall Thread

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea, that was needed in either malvern or "jane and finch" as i recall.

I worked in Malvern for almost 5 years. Good memories and good staff where i worked, but awful area. I once had to cover for a guy so he could attend the funeral of his friend who had been shot to death. Buriel insurance came with the job's benefits program. Just kidding.

The GFS continues to show cold weather at the end of next week. It shows 850 mb temps dropping below zero starting in a week from today with 500-1000mb thicknesses dropping below 540 which could mean a few flakes could mix in with the rain showers verbatim.

Hopefully it will be a classic Fall across upstate NY and Ontario, following this classic summer.

From the NWS BUF AFD discussing the cold temps and lake effect for next week.

TEMPS

ALOFT GET COLD ENOUGH AND THE 850MB TO LAKE SURFACE TEMP DIFFERENCE

GETS BIG ENOUGH TO CREATE LAKE INDUCED CAPE AROUND 1500 J/KG WITH

EQUILIBRIUM LEVEL ABOVE 20KFT...WITH FREEZING LEVEL VERY LOW AROUND

OR EVEN BELOW 5KFT. WILL HAVE ISOLATED LAKE EFFECT THUNDER

INTRODUCED WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY WITH SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS IN LAKE EFFECT THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY WHEN THE 850MB TEMPS FALL

THEIR FURTHEST.

TUESDAY WILL BE THE WARMEST DAY...BY FAR...WITH PREFRONTAL HIGH

TEMPS IN THE LOWER TO MID 70S AND ISOLATED UPPER 70S...THEN THE

BOTTOM DROPS OUT WITH LOWER TO MID 60S ON WEDNESDAY...UPPER 50S TO

LOW 60S THURSDAY AND MID TO UPPER 50S ON FRIDAY. LOW TEMPS WILL BE

IN THE MID/UPR 50S TUESDAY NIGHT...UPR 40S TO LOW 50S WED NGT...THEN

40S FOR THURSDAY NIGHT.

77°-79° at midnight in NYC last night. Got back to good ole Delaware County at 3:00am and it was 55°. Much nicer. Looking forward to the 30's coming the next couple mornings.

Might even get a little freeze Saturday morning? Time to bring in those summer-vacationing plants.

You didn't see my post in another thread? I have moved to Toronto for school, although I will still be visiting Ottawa from time to time, and plan to continue posting here in the upstate forum. I figure since people from Buffalo post here, I can too. It is my hope that you will include Toronto and Markham on your snow forecasts this upcoming winter!

wow, didnt realize this

big loss for the ottawa weather community :(

Well, no frost warning last night but I will count this as my first frost and the end of summer (as we know it):

o a low of 34.7F

o ice on the windshield (the clincher)

o obvious frost on the roof

o even some patches of white in the field

At first inspection, it was not a killing frost (the morning glories are still alive).

Currently 35.6F.

Ta-dah.

Snowman.gif

We also had the first frost on the grass despite an air temperature of 35.7F up where the thermometer is. Nice to have it back. :) This wouldn't be a killing frost. although I hope it nailed some mosquitos!

Well, no frost warning last night but I will count this as my first frost and the end of summer (as we know it):

o a low of 34.7F

At first inspection, it was not a killing frost (the morning glories are still alive).

Currently 35.6F.

Ta-dah.

Snowman.gif

o a low of 34.7F

Currently 35.6F.

Ta-dah.

Snowman.gif

Almost identical here.

Archived