• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Upstate NY/North Country Late Summer & Fall Thread

I agree for now...presently think 1st storm has better chances for snow than does the weekend one.

Weekend storm a la EC has support from UK; I like the latter model on ECUS storms during Oct/Nov and Mar/Apr. If cut-off develops with weekend system esp from 500 hPa down (some hint for such from the Ukie) then system's snow dump potential goes up IMO. However, as is often the case with pre-winter storms that do cut-off the heaviest precip (based on climatology) falls from the CD (and surrounding high terrain) and points southwards to both the S'rn Catskills and S'rn Taconics

UK lost the weknd storm at 12z. I think the sothern dacks will see at least a few inches of snow thursday afternoon into night.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UK lost the weknd storm at 12z. I think the sothern dacks will see at least a few inches of snow thursday afternoon into night.

I think they may but it is too early to say for sure IMO. Here's why..first QPF forecast still has a lot of disparity amongst the models. 2nd We're going to need some pretty good UVM and or a C/O feature aloft to aid in dynamic cooling to get decent snow accums. 3rd Yes elevation will play a huge factor in this event esp wrt amounts but will be the best elevation to be at? Right now to me it looks like points around 1200 feet and abv have the best chance to get accumulating snow.

Just saw that UK and GGEM "lost" storm #2

Yeah...trends on the 12z suite not really favorable for us valley folk. Euro and NAM trend a bit warmer on the first storm. While I think confidence was always low of accumulations in the valley, was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Still could be decent for those with some elevation or those north of Saratoga Springs...but starting to look like nothing but some wet flakes for the rest of the region.

Euro still hanging onto storm 2...but still shifting a little further south and less amplified. Hopefully, if this ends up behaving like a true winter threat, we'll see models start to correct a bit farther NW in the next couple days.

I think they may but it is too early to say for sure IMO. Here's why..first QPF forecast still has a lot of disparity amongst the models. 2nd We're going to need some pretty good UVM and or a C/O feature aloft to aid in dynamic cooling to get decent snow accums. 3rd Yes elevation will play a huge factor in this event esp wrt amounts but will be the best elevation to be at? Right now to me it looks like points around 1200 feet and abv have the best chance to get accumulating snow.

so your saying warrensburg gets snow and down toward the lake shore it snows without sticking :popcorn:

Keeping hope alive here at 1400 feet! :weight_lift:

Yeah...trends on the 12z suite not really favorable for us valley folk. Euro and NAM trend a bit warmer on the first storm. While I think confidence was always low of accumulations in the valley, was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Still could be decent for those with some elevation or those north of Saratoga Springs...but starting to look like nothing but some wet flakes for the rest of the region.

Euro still hanging onto storm 2...but still shifting a little further south and less amplified. Hopefully, if this ends up behaving like a true winter threat, we'll see models start to correct a bit farther NW in the next couple days.

We'll see - if nothing more the season for model watching has begun!

so your saying warrensburg gets snow and down toward the lake shore it snows without sticking :popcorn:

more or less yes; Athol and top of Prospect Mtn best chances, probably Minerva, Chestertown too.

Keeping hope alive here at 1400 feet! :weight_lift:

that's all you can do for now!

NAM is really holding onto the idea of 2-rounds of precip for this first storm. I felt it had backed off a bit at 6z...even more so at 12z...but now 18z really develops that second round of precip early Friday AM. First round comes through Thurs PM & night with a weaker piece of energy...helps cool the column. That's pretty much rain for everyone. A secondary surface low develops with the digging trough and stronger upper-level support...and that's mostly snow for most of us. I think that's the only way we get any accumulations into the lower elevations. However, the NAM is mostly on its own with this idea. The Euro was doing something like that yesterday...but has since trended away from it.

We'll see - if nothing more the season for model watching has begun!

And that's the bottom line...winter is around the corner. I'd rather have something to track late October and have it not work out then have absolutely nothing of interest on the radar until mid-December.

Capital region in the game! 12z NAM shifted north. NAM, SREFs, GFS now all getting at least 0.5" into the Albany area...Euro looked a bit lighter...but we still have time.

And just got the text alert on my phone...ALY WSW's up!

I do worry about ratios a bit if we are on the fringe. If we don't get into the heavier deformation band...rates could be light and boundary temps could be marginal during the daylight hours. Could hold down accumulations a bit. I'd still be more excited if we could get this to trend another 50 miles north.

I'm feeling the 50 mile shift...I'm bettin GFS has it today and NAM tonight...fingers crossed...this is sick!

Capital region in the game! 12z NAM shifted north. NAM, SREFs, GFS now all getting at least 0.5" into the Albany area...Euro looked a bit lighter...but we still have time.

And just got the text alert on my phone...ALY WSW's up!

I do worry about ratios a bit if we are on the fringe. If we don't get into the heavier deformation band...rates could be light and boundary temps could be marginal during the daylight hours. Could hold down accumulations a bit. I'd still be more excited if we could get this to trend another 50 miles north.

lol 12z GFS why couldn't you still show the epic super bomb :( . I really hope it shows back up, that would be sweet! Nor Easters don't really excite me, I'm to far west and climatologically speaking I rarely recieve a good storm. Unless it is a rare 93' type storm. Inland runners are the only east coast storm that helps out western NY and PA.

lol 12z GFS why couldn't you still show the epic super bomb :( . I really hope it shows back up, that would be sweet! Nor Easters don't really excite me, I'm to far west and climatologically speaking I rarely recieve a good storm. Unless it is a rare 93' type storm. Inland runners are the only east coast storm that helps out western NY and PA.

hopefully it shows up on the 0z run tonight ;)

Alright---who has the snow jinx in the area so that people north of ~Saratoga get shafted???LOL .Actually truth be told, I am relieved right now with the NWS and others cutting us in the Glens Falls area way back. I was really debating even getting the plow out with it warming up next week. The NWS AFD from 7:00 am today.

OTHERWISE...LATEST NEAR-TERM RUC13/HRRR...AND SFC OBS DEPICT TWO

SOMEWHAT DISCONCERTING TRENDS FOR TODAY/TONIGHT. BOTH MODELS

INDICATE BEST FORCING TRANSLATING ACROSS S/E AREAS ONLY...WITH

STRONGEST FGEN ACROSS MID HUDSON VALLEY AND NW CT...WITH MUCH

WEAKER FORCING FURTHER N/W. SHOULD RADAR TRENDS BEGIN TO INDICATE

THAT THIS MAY COME TRUE...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS MAY NEED TO BE TRIMMED

BACK...PERHAPS SIGNIFICANTLY...ACROSS AT LEAST NORTHERN VALLEY PORTIONS

OF THE WARNING AREA. IN ADDITION...LATEST SFC OBS INDICATE MAINLY

RAIN OCCURRING THUS FAR ACROSS EASTERN PA. THIS MAY BE RELATED TO

THE RELATIVELY WEAKER PRECIP RATES THUS FAR...AND ALSO SOME

SLIGHTLY WARMER BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPS. AS FORCING

INTENSIFIES...DYNAMICAL COLUMNAR COOLING MAY LEAD TO MORE SNOW.

AGAIN...BOTH OF THESE TRENDS WILL NEED TO BE WATCHED OVER THE NEXT

SEVERAL HOURS...AS EITHER OR BOTH COULD ULTIMATELY LEAD TO LESS

SNOWFALL ACROSS AT LEAST VALLEY PORTIONS OF THE REGION.

PREVIOUS DISCUSSION FOLLOWS...

AS OF 415 AM EDT...CLOUDS CONTINUE TO THICKEN FROM SW TO NE ACROSS

THE REGION. IN AREAS WHERE CLOUDS REMAINED THIN...TEMPS DROPPED

INTO THE MID/UPPER 20S...WITH SOME PATCHY FOG FORMING.

ELSEWHERE...TEMPS HAVE GENERALLY REMAINED NEARLY STEADY...FROM THE

UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.

LOW PRESSURE CONTINUES TO DEVELOP OFF THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST.

THUS FAR...PRECIP HAS BEEN QUITE LIGHT AND PATCHY ACROSS THE

NORTHERN MID ATLANTIC STATES...AND MAINLY IN THE FORM OF RAIN DUE

TO A SOMEWHAT MILD BOUNDARY LAYER...AND WEAK DYNAMICS/PRECIP RATES

We're going to have to wait for mid-month or so for the pattern to change, I think. Should be warmer than average over the next 10 days or so. Nice weather for the Bills/Jets game on Sunday.

yeah i dont mind NOT wasting a cold pattern on the first 15 days of november....but once we move past nov 10th-15th or so, its time.

yeah i dont mind NOT wasting a cold pattern on the first 15 days of november....but once we move past nov 10th-15th or so, its time.

In years with blowtorch Octobers, the pattern does tend to change around mid November. There's usually snow in Ottawa by the 15th-20th and at least flurries in Toronto by the 23rd.

While the NAO looks to cooperate in the extended range by going somewhat negative...the Pacific is looking incredibly hostile with a very strong -PNA being forecasted by the gfs, ec, and ec ensembles through the period. We are going to need that to change in order to get significant cold to sustain in the midwest and east.

Archived