Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
August 22-31 Severe Weather Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canoe is reporting four unconfirmed tornadoes in the London/Goderich area. Wyoming, Kettle Point, Parkhill, and Lucknow.

Unconfirmed report of a tornado in Burlington. And probably many other unconfirmed reports. Including here.

Basically, no one knows what's going on right now. The cable television went out, but the internet is still working.

New tornado warnings just issued for Windsor and Chatham-Kent

Finally got a Tornado Warning issued for my area. Unfortunately, looks like most of the severe weather is moving off to Lake Erie now. Still, better late than never I suppose.

What an INCREDIBLE storm. I'll see about getting some pictures of the lightning up. We didn't see much other than some gusty winds and heavy downpours, but my god, that lightning. Never seen anything like it in my life. Nonstop, 2 hours, constant, constant, constant, never ending. Brilliant.

Finally got a Tornado Warning issued for my area. Unfortunately, looks like most of the severe weather is moving off to Lake Erie now. Still, better late than never I suppose.

What an INCREDIBLE storm. I'll see about getting some pictures of the lightning up. We didn't see much other than some gusty winds and heavy downpours, but my god, that lightning. Never seen anything like it in my life. Nonstop, 2 hours, constant, constant, constant, never ending. Brilliant.

It was like that here too. Had it not been for the 90 minute display of non stop, full lit sky lightning the storm would have been kind of wimpy... but that lightning was absolutely incredible.

Called in my experience to the NWS in Cleveland.

Probably a weird report. Only estimated winds at 50MPH in my yard and where I could see with some small branches coming down, but none bigger than 2-3". However, heard trees coming down in the woods across the street and saw a power flash about a mile to the west and could hear the transformer blow from my house. Also noted the winds were gusting 40 up to around 50 for about 10 minutes.

Lots of CG lightning, all and all I'd say that was worth it :thumbsup:

It was bad here in Cleveland. I lost a tree in the front yard, as did the neighbor across the street. These are 3 feet diameter trees snapped in half. Lots ofof trees blockingsnapped roads. The highway into downtown was shut down along the lakeshore. So many cars scrambling on side streets. Nothing is moving. What a mess. Up to 8" of rain IMBY this month so far.

A WFO Toronto meteorologist said to CBC that they were recording 1,000 lightning strikes every two minutes in the Lower Great Lakes.

“We had this massive line of thunderstorms with very intense lightning … and that was the big story if you were along the lower Great Lakes, how intense and continuous that lightning was, about 1,000 strikes every two minutes," said Wagstaffe.

It was bad here in Cleveland. I lost a tree in the front yard, as did the neighbor across the street. These are 3 feet diameter trees snapped in half. Lots ofof trees blockingsnapped roads. The highway into downtown was shut down along the lakeshore. So many cars scrambling on side streets. Nothing is moving. What a mess. Up to 8" of rain IMBY this month so far.

Not much wind with the storm in my area. But a lot of rain, over 1.5"and lightning. As others have said, the lighting was unbelievable. Lot of branches, and a few large trees down in Chagrin.

Noice! Possible tornado tracked through my neighbouring city. Looks like EC will be out investigating today.

WEATHER SUMMARY FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND THE
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 7:16 AM EDT THURSDAY 25 AUGUST 2011.

-------------------------------------------------------------
==WEATHER EVENT DISCUSSION==

A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AFFECTED MUCH OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT, ASSOCIATED WITH A SHARP
COLD FRONT.

CONDITIONS WERE FAVOURABLE FOR THE FORMATION OF TORNADOES, AND
SEVERAL WALL CLOUDS AND FUNNEL CLOUDS WERE REPORTED.  THERE WERE
ALSO REPORTS OF POSSIBLE TORNADOES BUT THESE HAVE NOT YET BEEN
CONFIRMED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA.  WIND GUSTS OF 100 KM/H, GOLF
BALL SIZE HAIL, AND HEAVY DOWNPOURS ALSO OCCURRED.  IN ADDITION,
CONTINUOUS AND INTENSE LIGHTNING ACCOMPANIED THESE THUNDERSTORMS.

FOLLOWING ARE SOME OF THE REPORTS RECEIVED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA AS
OF 10:00 AM EDT THURSDAY. ONE STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS BEEN DISPATCHED
THIS MORNING TO CHECK OUT A POSSIBLE TORNADO THAT TRACKED FROM
CAMBRIDGE TO BURLINGTON. ENVIRONMENT CANADA WILL CONTINUE TO
COLLECT DAMAGE REPORTS AND MAY DISPATCH OTHER STORM SURVEY TEAMS
IF NECESSARY.

-------------------------------------------------------------
TIME(LCL)   	LOCATION        EVENT DESCRIPTION

6:48 PM 		POINT EDWARD    TOONIE TO PING PONG BALL SIZE HAIL
               (NEAR SARNIA)

6:56 PM 		LUCKNOW 		FUNNEL CLOUD, TREE DAMAGE
                               POSSIBLE TORNADO

7:22 PM 		SOUTH OF DURHAM ESTIMATED 100 KM/H WIND GUST

7:47 PM 		KETTLE POINT    GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL
               IPPERWASH

7:50 PM 		GRAND BEND      100 KM/H WIND GUST
                               FUNNEL CLOUD, HAIL

7:55 PM 		LUCAN   		NICKEL SIZE HAIL

7:58 PM 		DUNDALK 		90-100 KM/H WIND GUST
                               MARBLE SIZE HAIL

8:10 PM 		FERGUS          100 KM/H WIND GUST (EST)
                               MARBLE SIZE HAIL

8:15 PM 		EAST PARKHILL   TWISTED TREE DAMAGE
                               POSSIBLE TORNADO

8:19 PM 		PARKHILL        TWISTED TREE DAMAGE
                               POSSIBLE TORNADO

8:31 PM 		GODERICH        GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL

8:33 PM 		SARNIA          QUARTER SIZE HAIL

8:35 PM 		PETROLIA        FUNNEL CLOUD

8:35 PM 		CAMBRIDGE   	FUNNEL CLOUD

8:38 PM 		SOUTH OF PETROLIA   MARBLE SIZE HAIL

8:42 PM 		KETTLE POINT    GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL
                               UPROOTED TREES

8:44 PM 		LUCAN   		50 MM RAIN IN 30 MINUTES

9:07 PM 		CAMBRIDGE   	100 KM/H WIND GUST

9:10 PM 		KITCHENER   	LOCAL FLOODING

9:20 PM 		THEDFORD        GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL
               (SOUTH OF GRAND BEND)

9:20 PM 		CAMBRIDGE   	TREES AND WIRES DOWN

9:20 PM 		GALT            POSSIBLE TORNADO TOUCHDOWN

9:20 PM 		FERGUS/GUELPH   FUNNEL CLOUD

9:27 PM 		BURLINGTON      85 KM/H WIND GUST

9:31 PM 		HAMILTON        100 KM/H WIND GUST
                               SCATTERED DEBRIS

9:36 PM 		LONDON          TREES DOWN

9:37 PM 		FLAMBOROUGH 	TREES DOWN

10:00 PM        RODNEY          QUARTER SIZE HAIL, HEAVY RAIN

10:00 PM        PORT WELLER 	WIND GUST 78 KM/H

10:12 PM        CENTRAL MIDDLESEX   FUNNEL CLOUD TOUCHED DOWN AND
               COUNTY              TORE ROOF OFF DRIVE SHED
                                   POSSIBLE TORNADO

10:12 PM        AILSA CRAIG 	TREE WENT THROUGH A TENT
               (NORTHWEST OFLONDON)

10:28 PM        NIAGARA 		DIME SIZE HAIL, HIGH WINDS
                               TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR

11:00 PM        KITCHENER   	33 MM RAIN IN 1 HOUR

11:35 PM        KINGSVILLE      POSSIBLE FUNNEL CLOUD

12:00 AM        PETAWAWA        64 MM OF RAIN FROM 7:00 PM

02:18 AM        LONG POINT      WIND GUST 97 KM/H

THIS WEATHER SUMMARY CONTAINS PRELIMINARY INFORMATION
AND MAY NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL OR FINAL REPORT.

END/OSPC

I've plotted all the reports above ^^^ except for flash flood/heavy rain reports.

Every county south/west of the yellow line was put under a tornado warning at some point during the afternoon/evening.

Prelim reports, more still coming in to Environment Canada so I'll keep updating this map with new info.

post-277-0-02819000-1314286676.png

I think Chatham-Kent really dodged a bullet last night, because as soon as the cold front passed over us into Lake Erie, it started spawning tornadic vortex signatures and large hail. If that line had gotten its act together only 50 km earlier, I might have been seeing a lot more damage this morning :yikes:

Still an unbelievable storm. The effect themselves weren't too significant in my area (30 mm of rain in a half hour, gusty winds, we've seen far worse.) But the lightning was unbelievable, and the fact that so many counties were put under Tornado Warnings shows just how seriously EC took this thing. I ended up spending nearly the entire day tracking these storms, but seeing the best lightning show of my life for 3 hours straight made it totally worth it.

Perfect "grand finale" for what has been a very stormy year in Ontario.

Tornado confirmed in Chesterland Ohio last night... approximately 20 miles east/southeast of Cleveland. There used to be few members on the board from that location. It was an EF1 but there was structural damage to buildings.

I'll upload some pictures in the next post, but I'm shocked that CLE did not do a tornado survey on the west side of Cleveland. There are 100s of trees down along Edgewater and they are not all facing the same direction, which would lead me to believe that it may not have been straight line winds. There was basically moderate tree damage from Edgewater Drive down Lake Avenue to where Our Lady of Mt. Carmel church was damaged.

I had just fallen asleep before the line of storms hit, and was abruptly awoken by extreme wind and snapping trees. My neighbor across the street had a 90 year old tree snapped in half and luckily fell away from their house. My other neighbor had a huge branch break and crash into their living room window.

Environment Canada confirmed an F1 tornado 10 miles southeast of here that tracked from Cambridge to Westover. Peak width was 327 yards and the path was 9 miles long. I believe the meso/wall cloud passed over the house about five minutes before it touched down. Might have been why so many people around here reported heavy air pressure?

Updated reports map

I'll upload some pictures in the next post, but I'm shocked that CLE did not do a tornado survey on the west side of Cleveland. There are 100s of trees down along Edgewater and they are not all facing the same direction, which would lead me to believe that it may not have been straight line winds. There was basically moderate tree damage from Edgewater Drive down Lake Avenue to where Our Lady of Mt. Carmel church was damaged.

I had just fallen asleep before the line of storms hit, and was abruptly awoken by extreme wind and snapping trees. My neighbor across the street had a 90 year old tree snapped in half and luckily fell away from their house. My other neighbor had a huge branch break and crash into their living room window.

Looks like significant tree damage in your area. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a brief spin up. I have several 80-100 year old oaks around my house... so I'm thankful we didn't get the strong winds. I hate to see the old growth trees come down like that.

That damage looks a lot like what happened in 1993, I believe it was the 1st or 2nd of August. There was significant straight line wind damage along the lakeshore from downtown all the way to Euclid. Bratenahl and parts of Euclid were virtually shut down for 2 weeks.

Archived