Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August 22-31 Severe Weather Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated new F1 tornado confirmed in Middlesex County

Thanks for posting this Ont. Wx

On Thurs. I thought perhaps I over-reacted by heading to the basement, but the fact the Goderich tornado was only 3 days old and the fact the tornado warnings were happening at night and it was impossible to get a visual on the actual situation out the window, made the decision for me.

Turned out very little happened here in the way of damage,but the map showed problems weren't far away. In the same circumstances, I would do it again.

While the focus is on Irene, right from under the radar screen comes a decent-sized Day 1 slight risk for today for much of Nebraska, western half of Iowa, SE South Dakota, plus small parts of Kansas, Missouri and Minnesota (mainly 15% hail and wind):

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

This might be one of the best places to discuss the latest Plains threat--IMO with the focus on Irene today this severe threat probably won't see the time of day today on the Weather Channel. And such things make me wonder: what if Midwestern severe weather instances like the Indiana State Fair tragedy or heaven forbid, a Joplin or Tuscaloosa-like tornado, had occurred somewhere in the Midwest WHILE the focus on the Weather Channel is on an East Coast hurricane? Who knows if today could get active in the Plains--so some food for thought.

Archived