NHC_ATCF

invest_al952011.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 95, 2011, DB, O, 2011081212, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL952011

AL, 95, 2011081212, , BEST, 0, 348N, 668W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

Four concurrent Invests at once... should be an interesting hurricane season... :thumbsup:

EDIT: The first Public Advisory on TD 6 has now been issued.

BULLETIN

TROPICAL DEPRESSION SIX ADVISORY NUMBER 1

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL062011

500 PM EDT FRI AUG 12 2011

...TROPICAL DEPRESSION FORMS NORTH OF BERMUDA...MOVING AWAY FROM THE

UNITED STATES AND BERMUDA...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...36.0N 63.9W

ABOUT 260 MI...420 KM N OF BERMUDA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH...55 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...ENE OR 65 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1011 MB...29.85 INCHES

And there is a pretty good chance that it could become TS Franklin.

205213.gif

What's odd is that on the Satellite Services Division site, they don't have a floater on 95L.

vis.jpg

95L is the small blob roughly a few hundred miles to the east of North Carolina. It should definitely be a fish storm, and it will continue heading to the NE.

storm_95.gif

In my opinion, this storm looks a lot like TD 1 of 2009. It should also take a similar path to TD 1 of 2009, (although further east.)

800px-Tropical_Depression_One_2009_GOES.jpg

The 12z OPC surface analysis showed 95L attatched to a weak stationary front:

http://www.opc.ncep...._full_ocean.jpg

If the front can wash out or if 95L can seperate from it (which it may be doing now, I don't see a ton of evidence of a strong front on current visible satellite images, although there are weak signs it's still attatched on both sides) 95L could probably develop into a tropical cyclone at any time. It has a well defined LLC under convection with good outflow due to being on the edge of the westerlies:

post-525-0-81343300-1313171211.jpg

Edit: Just saw that the 2pm TWO increased this to a 60% chance of development

95l is definitely a separate entity still and should be the first invest of the current bunch to become a TC briefly before extra tropical transition.

Isn't it funny how we start "naming" proto-TCs before they form, and then the name turns out to be a later name, because something unexpected developed from something else first?

Irene and Gert are the 1950/60s style names, like Hazel, that just sound impressive.

"I" names have always been my fav... especially recently with Ivan, Ike, and Igor. Second only to "C" in terms of number of names retired...

Because the name of a TC clearly has an effect on what it does.

OK, cool. This is Franklin and it's moving out to sea. I will not be chasing a Franklin. This piece of crap has therefore served its purpose. Cool. The only other name I'm really not into is Harvey. Otherwise, they're all good.

This aside, it's amazing that we're up to six named storms, with none of them reaching hurricane strength. Very weird.

OK, cool. This is Franklin and it's moving out to sea. I will not be chasing a Franklin. This piece of crap has therefore served its purpose. Cool. The only other name I'm really not into is Harvey. Otherwise, they're all good.

This aside, it's amazing that we're up to six named storms, with none of them reaching hurricane strength. Very weird.

Doing some cursory research, if Franklin does not become a hurricane, this would be the first time ever that we have had six tropical storms to start the year with none of them becoming hurricanes. Of course some of the storms this year may not have been designated tropical storms in previous eras. In fact, doing some quick looking up, the only time we have had the first five tropical storms of they year not become hurricanes was in 1907.

Doing some cursory research, if Franklin does not become a hurricane, this would be the first time ever that we have had six tropical storms to start the year with none of them becoming hurricanes. Of course some of the storms this year may not have been designated tropical storms in previous eras. In fact, doing some quick looking up, the only time we have had the first five tropical storms of they year not become hurricanes was in 1907.

Thank you for doing that research! I was curious to know these stats but was too lazy to check. That is amazing-- that Franklin will make this a first-time-ever occurrence. Cool in its own lame way.

The 2011 name list was used in 1981, 1987, 1993, 1999 and 2005. Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Emily, Gert, Harvey, Irene, and Jose have all been used before some of them notable (Bret '99, Emily '93, '05, Irene '99 and Jose '99) but in general those are names relatively untouched in hurricane history. I have long expected Hurricane Gert to stand out in the books but with 94L seeming to spin as the visible comes up, I have my doubts.

Personally, Hurricane Harvey sounds like a decent name. Irene kinda bores me especially after the long, ill-defined storm of the name in 2005. I say Hurricane Harvey or Hurricane Jose. They can have Irene. Enough with the big "I" storms.

Not quite true -- 2002 had 6 tropical storms before the first hurricane (Gustav). 2006 also had 5 tropical storms before the first hurricane (Ernesto), although a case can me made that Ernesto never even reached hurricane strength. So with Franklin, we're tied with the record.

Archived