e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late Fall/Winter 2011-2012 speculation thread

Harry

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Winter of 2010/2011 featured a strong La Nina event. Temperatures at both Milwaukee and Madison were below normal with above normal snowfall.

After weakening over the summer, the colder than normal sea water temperatures along the Pacific Equatorial region are gradually coming back. Many of the long range models suggest that we will have a second straight La Nina winter.

Since 1950, there have been 4 times when there were two or three consecutive La Nina winters.

1954/55 through 1956/57 (3 winters in a row)

1970/71 and 1971/72

1973/74 through 1975/76 (3 winters in a row)

1998/99 through 2000/2001 (3 winters in a row)

Doing some simple, back of the envelope statistical comparisons from this small sample of previous back-to-back La Nina winters suggests that we will receive less snow and temperatures will not be as cold as last year.

The Winter of 2010/2011 featured a strong La Nina event. Temperatures at both Milwaukee and Madison were below normal with above normal snowfall.

After weakening over the summer, the colder than normal sea water temperatures along the Pacific Equatorial region are gradually coming back. Many of the long range models suggest that we will have a second straight La Nina winter.

Since 1950, there have been 4 times when there were two or three consecutive La Nina winters.

1970/71 and 1971/72

Doing some simple, back of the envelope statistical comparisons from this small sample of previous back-to-back La Nina winters suggests that we will receive less snow and temperatures will not be as cold as last year.

laugh.gif

You Scared yet? Of the pretty good chance of yet another solid winter?

1970/71 and 1971/72

:ee:

The man in the middle will be you.:P

Anyways, I'm not surprised you run with one of the rare predictions that has us with below average snowfall and above average temperatures. I'll take the consensus, not the exceptions, thank you very much.

He actually likes cold and snow. But he loves being a troll above all else.

He may have loved it at one point, but I get the feeling when someone beats a dead horse like he beats the drum of heat, they're serious. What does he have to gain by pointing out everything that points to hot weather unless he dislikes the cold?

It looks like an old fashioned butt kicking winter...no reason to not think since the last several have been active to say the least. Always enjoy snowfreaks pics, they capture the quiet beauty of winter. Not my fav season, but having lived in so many places through the years, winter in the rural midwest is incredible. I just make the most of it, with all the expertise here, I depend on all the long range chatter here for planning work commutes ahead and also last year so many called the blizzard potential well ahead of many mets which allowed me to secure a hotel room for 2 nights. So you guys are appreciated for all that you do. I've learned a llot from you guys here so thanks.

1970/71 and 1971/72

meh, for here, based on this very very small sample, its 50/50. 1955-56 and 1974-75 were much snowier than the previous winter, 1971-72 and 1999-00 were not. Going on the alternating pattern, 2011-12 is due to be snowier than the previous winter. Which means snowfall records may be broken YET AGAIN!!!

:mapsnow:

It looks like an old fashioned butt kicking winter...no reason to not think since the last several have been active to say the least. Always enjoy snowfreaks pics, they capture the quiet beauty of winter. Not my fav season, but having lived in so many places through the years, winter in the rural midwest is incredible. I just make the most of it, with all the expertise here, I depend on all the long range chatter here for planning work commutes ahead and also last year so many called the blizzard potential well ahead of many mets which allowed me to secure a hotel room for 2 nights. So you guys are appreciated for all that you do. I've learned a llot from you guys here so thanks.

:wub::thumbsup:

:ee:

The man in the middle will be you.:P

Anyways, I'm not surprised you run with one of the rare predictions that has us with below average snowfall and above average temperatures. I'll take the consensus, not the exceptions, thank you very much.

Most forecasts this summer were calling for a colder than normal summer here... even the CPC.

I wouldn't lock it in. We have been cold and snowy since 07-08 and people might be getting complacent here with forecasting. I'm going into winter with an open mind that things could go either way. The possibilities are definitely there.

Most forecasts this summer were calling for a colder than normal summer here... even the CPC.

I wouldn't lock it in. We have been cold and snowy since 07-08 and people might be getting complacent here with forecasting. I'm going into winter with an open mind that things could go either way. The possibilities are definitely there.

Um, most of the forecasts I have seen that were predicting above average snowfall and below normal temps weren't from here, so they probably aren't taking history into account as much.

Would the lack of ice coverage over Hudson bay have an impact on the weather here? I noticed on satelite imagery, and comapring it to other years, it sure seems as if Hudson bay really succumbed to the widespread warmth this summer. Maybe it's no big deal but since so much of our air comes directly from that region, wondering if there could be an impact. Thanks.

Would the lack of ice coverage over Hudson bay have an impact on the weather here? I noticed on satelite imagery, and comapring it to other years, it sure seems as if Hudson bay really succumbed to the widespread warmth this summer. Maybe it's no big deal but since so much of our air comes directly from that region, wondering if there could be an impact. Thanks.

Too early to be worried about Hudson Bay ice.

meh, for here, based on this very very small sample, its 50/50. 1955-56 and 1974-75 were much snowier than the previous winter, 1971-72 and 1999-00 were not. Going on the alternating pattern, 2011-12 is due to be snowier than the previous winter. Which means snowfall records may be broken YET AGAIN!!!

:mapsnow:

Never looked at temps as closely but as far as snowfall goes both 2nd and 3rd year Ninas have all been snowier vs 1st year La'Nina here. One of these days perhaps i will look closer at it and see if there is some reason for it.

Euro and CFS showing a warmer than normal winter.

Averaged out thanks to Feb/Mar it is. Yes it does have a pretty toasty ( heavy duty se ridging ) Feb/Mar showing up. Jan normal from about i80 on north and a shade above to the south of there. Dec Normal for all with slightly above closer to i70. Nov slightly below normal for all.

Again to all. I would not be focusing to hard on those 50s/70s/90s analogs. JMHO

JAMSTEC updated today. Showing a stronger La Nina. Precip shifted slightly farther SE for the winter. Surface temps look cold across mostly the NW 1/2 of the US.

http://www.jamstec.g...orecast.html.en

Those right along the edge could be in for one a hell of a ride! Also interesting to note the overall negative departures across the globe..

temp2.glob.DJF2012.1sep2011.gif

Why is the comparison being made in the first place? Have you seen forecasts that use 1995-96 as an analog for this upcoming winter?

I've seen people implying for a 1995-96 repeat only because that year was Weak Nina and this year could be that as well. So I decided to look into it.

Nothing more than that ;)

Your from Southern Ontario too right?

I've seen people implying for a 1995-96 repeat only because that year was Weak Nina and this year could be that as well. So I decided to look into it.

Nothing more than that ;)

Your from Southern Ontario too right?

Not sure how reliable this site is:

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

But if those ONI numbers are accurate, 1995-96 could hardly be classified as even a weak Nina. Although, my personal spreadsheet does have 95-96 as a Nina, so I don't know. In any case, good on you for throwing cold water on the comparisons due to the other incongruities.

And from Southern Ontario too? I am the premiere Southern Ontario poster. All other southern Ontario posters bow down before me. :)

Archived