Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice storm last evening, Numerous c2g hits and very heavy rain.

Do you know how much rain fell, I remember you saying that you had a broken rain gauge a little while ago. I dodged the bullet on that storm, got about .25" but it looked like Goshen got nailed. I got an alert that 17M was closed for a bit due to flooding.

Might have been some hail in the storm that just went thru New Windsor and Cornwall on Hudson

Did not see any hail here in New Windsor. Good light show, little in the way of wind. Sun is now back out. Warning for the cell that just went thru.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

323 PM EDT MON AUG 8 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

WESTCHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

PUTNAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 345 PM EDT...

* AT 314 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN

EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED OVER THE HUDSON RIVER

NEAR WEST POINT MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

PUTNAM VALLEY...JEFFERSON VALLEY-YORKTOWN...GOLDEN`S BRIDGE...

CROTON-ON-HUDSON AND BUCHANAN

2nd one for the day comming for MBY.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

552 PM EDT MON AUG 8 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN ORANGE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 615 PM EDT...

* AT 551 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR GARDNERTOWN...OR NEAR NEWBURGH...AND MOVING

SOUTH AT 20 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO NEW

WINDSOR

Now that we have a stretch of nice weather to look forward to, let’s talk about gardens lol.

This is the first year I planted Parks Whopper. I am pleasantly surprised with it. The plant is ravaged by the creeping crud and wasmessed up good from the tornado storm but it’s very hardy, still is producing flowers and new fruit . It has firm fruit, not to seedy or gooey, its a good producer, has excellent old school tomato flavor. I’ll be planting them next year. :thumbsup: The Parks Whopper fruit matured about the same time as the early tomato variants like early girl but without theflavorless supermarket taste most early tomatoes have.

Another first timer for me is Pink Brandywine. The plant looksbeautiful with its potato type dark green leaves - but it has considerable fewer tomatoes on the vine and they mature extremely ssssssssslow. Still waiting to taste the first one of the summer. I’ll pass on this next year.:yikes:

What about you, did you try any new types this year? What doyou think about them?

Another first timer for me is Pink Brandywine. The plant looksbeautiful with its potato type dark green leaves - but it has considerable fewer tomatoes on the vine and they mature extremely ssssssssslow. Still waiting to taste the first one of the summer. I’ll pass on this next year.:yikes:

Brandywines are my favorite tasting... it's like eating sugar. The downside, and one I've been trying to resolve through my own research and cross-breeding, is that you only get a few good fruit off the whole plant, and the nicest ones tend to split wide open before you think they're anywhere close to being ripe. After August, you get a few sickly looking two-inch fruits off the plant, which starts to decline real fast. I almost always plant one for the taste, but certainly not for yield or hardiness.

Brandywines are my favorite tasting... it's like eating sugar. The downside, and one I've been trying to resolve through my own research and cross-breeding, is that you only get a few good fruit off the whole plant, and the nicest ones tend to split wide open before you think they're anywhere close to being ripe. After August, you get a few sickly looking two-inch fruits off the plant, which starts to decline real fast. I almost always plant one for the taste, but certainly not for yield or hardiness.

Julian how do you prevent spliting? Pick them very early?

what are some of your favorite tomatoes?

Julian how do you prevent spliting? Pick them very early?

what are some of your favorite tomatoes?

Yeah, I've found it's best to pick them early, when they're just starting to color up. You can get lucky and push them farther along, but more often then not you'll just wake up one morning to an off-pink bowl of rotten tomato sauce. That's another thing about them; even when they do reach full ripeness without imploding, they never color up consistently, and they have a splotchy, half-pink, half-green appearance. Overall it's just one of the more temperamental heirlooms, and the newer hybrids aren't much better sadly.

I'm not really sure what my "favorite" varieties are, since I usually plant a lot of F1 hybrids depending on what the upcoming season looks like, but I always make sure to plant a few good ol' beefsteaks. They're not as enjoyable to eat out of hand as some of the sweeter varieties, but they're very hardy and they ripen up extremely well without issue. I'll take some pictures later today and try to figure out which varieties are performing best this year (I don't really keep track of my tomatoes as much as I should... I'm more into the squash this year).

Archived