• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The Hudson Valley Thread

I'm not going to lie, that was a strange feeling that I really care not to experience again even if all it did was sway the pictures on the walls here.

Didn't feel it up here, but people 5 miles north of me felt it strongly. May have just been moving around too much... but it obviously wasn't that strong IMBY anyway since there's nothing out of place on the shelves or anything. Quite a precursor to Irene if the latest ECMWF verifies.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When do you think we should actually start getting concerned/prepared up here, if at all? I mean, I know it's still four days away, but the models seem to be converging on a track that would do a number on our area this afternoon.

Well, I recently filled my 5 gallon gas tank that I use for my lawn mower and generator as needed so I'm good there. I'll have to move some outddoor chairs and then just wait and see. I don't see the need to board up or tape windows up by us, at least not as this point in time.

When do you think we should actually start getting concerned/prepared up here, if at all? I mean, I know it's still four days away, but the models seem to be converging on a track that would do a number on our area this afternoon.

We already started-took all the pool stuff and put it in the shed. The patio set was put in my Mom's garage and we put a new tarp on the boat. I'd rather take everything back out again if we don't get much-than have to replace or chase it all down the street.:scooter:

While Gloria didn't have much wind here in Dutchess-it did have plenty of rain. And I've been hearing comparisons to Carol in 1954-that the set ups are similar.

The panic button will be likely be pushed tomorrow for NYC,LI, Jersey, CT, RI,Mass, et al.. if the guidance doesn’t take her further east.

I actually watched The Weather Channel for the first time since I don't know when, LOL

Bastardi was on O'Reilly tonight, O'Reilly said at the end maybe if Bastradi is not busy tomorrow night he could come back and update the storm. Good Ol' Joe nearly jumped out of his seat and said (words to the affect) I’M NOT BUSY I'LL BE HERE. :lol:

I wonder what are the implications for places up here near poughkeepsie with Irene, if such a 0z GFS track were to happen.

My guess is TS force winds some higher gusts, Extremely heavy rain, maybe some tornados, heavy flooding in prone areas, scatered power outages. BTW, if she causes wide spread power outages in the metroplex areas on and along the coast (Philly, NJ, NYC, NJ, LI.... Depending o the type of system damage I expect we will wait a long time for power restore up here as crews will be overloaded. Remember the snowcane delays and that was a local power event in the HV.

Had a fax at the bus garage from Fleetweather right before I left around 4:30. If Hurricane Irene pans out as models are pointing-we are in for it here. The fax we had said 8-15 inches of rain, 35-60 mile an hour sustained and wind gusts of 80 to 100mph. I remember Agnes in 72, but it was nothing compared to what they are calling for Irene. What's the latest that's out? I know when I get in there at 5:30am tomorrow-there is going to be a stack of new faxes about the storm.

Not looking forward to power being out for days. Walmart in Fishkill was totally wiped out of water-just a few odd small bottles left. Anything like orange juice, butter, eggs, and other items were empty on the shelves. Got the yard cleaned up and everything put away today. Just hoping the pool holds out and none of the trees the neighbors have land on our garage.

Not looking forward to power being out for days. Walmart in Fishkill was totally wiped out of water-just a few odd small bottles left. Anything like orange juice, butter, eggs, and other items were empty on the shelves. .

Do you have a bunch of ex-Staten Islanders in the Fishkill area? :lol:

Thats the same routine SI'ers pull when 4 inches of snow is forecasted. ( I know about them, I used to be one in another life) :bike:

Thats the same routine SI'ers pull when 4 inches of snow is forecasted. ( I know about them, I used to be one in another life) :bike:

Actually the woman behind me was a recent transplant from Long Island. She had no clue a hurricane was predicted for up here-so she sent her kids running back for necessities! :mapstorm: She had said it was only going to be a little bit of rain :raining:

Anyone have the lastest from the models? Where are we trending at this point?

After the prolonged power outages from last years blizzard, people are going to prepare more for future threats.

After the prolonged power outages from last years blizzard, people are going to prepare more for future threats.

My point was SI'ers fill carts up with enough food for weeks when snow is forecast in case supermarkets are never, ever resupplied again. :snowwindow::P

TS watch for the HV to Ulster and Dutchess

My point was SI'ers fill carts up with enough food for weeks when snow is forecast in case supermarkets are never, ever resupplied again. :snowwindow::P

I could tell you a few war stories from my Price Chopper days, the Blizzard of 93 comes to mind first but we have something more inportant to discuss now. I'm really concerned about wind as I have a bunch of trees in my yard...

I could tell you a few war stories from my Price Chopper days, the Blizzard of 93 comes to mind first but we have something more inportant to discuss now. I'm really concerned about wind as I have a bunch of trees in my yard...

yeah me too. heavy east wind on trees grown under NW winds combined with soggie ground, I'm going to make sure my chain saw works today. Last time I used it was to clear snowcane damage

btw, the board is strangely quiet today

Again the useless Poughkeepsie Journal is making this sound like it's a walk in the park. Today's headline says Irene to brush the area. That editor needs to be reassigned out of here.:axe:

Last report from work that we received was that we had a tropical storm watch in effect. Now we wait to see how it plays out in the next 24-48 hours. Does it still appear to be more east now than previous runs? Still not convinced that it's going to hit here hard. Long over due for a big one.

Even though I live up here in Albany County now - I'm still on the Ulster County Executive's mailing list and no idea how they found me. Anyway they just declared a State of Emergency in Ulster.

Again the useless Poughkeepsie Journal is making this sound like it's a walk in the park. Today's headline says Irene to brush the area. That editor needs to be reassigned out of here.:axe:

Last report from work that we received was that we had a tropical storm watch in effect. Now we wait to see how it plays out in the next 24-48 hours. Does it still appear to be more east now than previous runs? Still not convinced that it's going to hit here hard. Long over due for a big one.

The western edge of the heavy precip is not that far west of the center, it will be something to watch and see if it expands or remains about the same as the day unfolds. If it continues and the center passes more to the east of LI some parts of Orange, Eastern PA, Western Ulster might be spared crazy rainfall totals.

post-463-0-21927800-1314443731.png

Archived