• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Hudson Valley Thread

I went out to get more damage pictures but could not access the areas of heavy damage due to Coleman Rd being off limits.. Damage in my area runs from just east of Rt 207, between and up to 1/2 mile north and south of Coleman Rd, Craigville Rd and on east..

2011-07-30105703.jpg

2011-07-30105639.jpg

2011-07-30111433.jpg

2011-07-30111441.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long ride for them.....to the far hinterland of their zones. :)

I was in Goshen the last two Mondays working at the county place...no such drama for me.

Nice pics all....

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

744 AM EDT SAT JUL 30 2011

...PRELIMINARY STORM SURVEYS SCHEDULED FOR ORANGE AND WESTCHESTER

COUNTIES NEW YORK...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN NEW YORK NY WILL CONDUCT STORM

SURVEYS IN ORANGE AND WESTCHESTER COUNTIES NEW YORK. THE SURVEY IS

IN RELATION TO THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THAT MOVED THROUGH THE

AREA YESTERDAY...JULY 29TH.

A FINAL ASSESSMENT INCLUDING RESULTS OF THE SURVEY ARE EXPECTED TO

BE COMPLETED AND TRANSMITTED VIA A PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT BY

LATE TODAY.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

338 PM EDT SAT JUL 30 2011

...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CONFIRMS A TORNADO IN GOSHEN NY...

EVENT: TORNADO

INTENSITY: EF-1

MAXIMUM WIND SPEED: 90-100 MPH

PATH LENGTH: 2.1 MILES

PATH WIDTH: 100 YARDS

TIME: 459 PM

DATE: FRIDAY JULY 29TH

DESCRIPTION: BASED ON A DAMAGE SURVEY PERFORMED BY THE NWS...

RADAR SIGNATURES...AND EYEWITNESS REPORTS...THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE CONFIRMED AN EF-1 TORNADO IN GOSHEN...NY ON FRIDAY JULY

THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR 109 COLEMAN ROAD AND LIFTED NEAR

600 CRAIGVILLE ROAD. ALL ALONG THIS PATH...TREES CONVERGED INTO A

WELL DEFINED NARROW PATH. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PROPERTY DAMAGE

OCCURRED ON HASBROUCK ROAD...WHERE 2 HOUSES DIRECTLY ACROSS THE

STREET FROM ONE ANOTHER (AT 101 AND 110 HASBROUCK) WERE IMPACTED.

AT 101 HASBROUCK ROAD...ROOF SHINGLES WERE TORN OFF...SKYLIGHT

WINDOWS WERE BLOWN IN WITH GLASS THAT SHATTERED...AND DEBRIS WAS

EMBEDDED ALL ALONG THE SIDES OF THE HOUSE INCLUDING A SMALL BRANCH

THAT WENT RIGHT THROUGH A GUTTER. AT 110 HASBROUCK ROAD...TREES

WERE DRAPED ALL OVER THE HOUSE WITH MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE.

I was picking up debris left over from friday before cutting the grass this morning. I noticed, 1) There were branch seqments with odd leaves that did not come from any of the trees near me and 2) there was a lot of bark around, 3) I had leaves blown between the shutters and the house.

I put together a recap of the damage I seen from Friday night.

post-463-0-71171900-1312155108.jpg

post-463-0-35289100-1312155172.jpg

Wow did not expect to have a tornado confirmation in our county.. Any pics or vids of it out there in the internet world?

A guy in my office has a few photos of the storm as it moved into Goshen, nothing great except for the great contrast with the sun behind him and the blackness of the storm in front of him. He also has a photo of the storm from Blooming Grove (where he said there about 30 other people taking photos and videos) that appears to show at least the wall cloud and/or remnants of the tornado, hard to say for sure from a photo but he said it was clearing rotating when he witnessed it. I asked him to send them to me, I'll share them if you like.

I'd like to see them as well Rob. I was in CVS parking lot at 4:40pm friday I can verify the blackness to the northwest it was very eerie

I seen Steve Fleckenstein from RACES and Seamus Leary ( the guy who gave us the tour of the ESC ) on News !2 over the weekend. Steve was taking pictures of the damage, if he posted them on his RACES site I'll link them here.

A guy in my office has a few photos of the storm as it moved into Goshen, nothing great except for the great contrast with the sun behind him and the blackness of the storm in front of him. He also has a photo of the storm from Blooming Grove (where he said there about 30 other people taking photos and videos) that appears to show at least the wall cloud and/or remnants of the tornado, hard to say for sure from a photo but he said it was clearing rotating when he witnessed it. I asked him to send them to me, I'll share them if you like.

I would love to see them... Not very often where we get to witness tornadic activity in these parts

I tried to get a decent shot of the lighting that's going through with the storm here in Southern Dutchess. All I was able to really catch was the whole sky lit up. I was facing north-west in this shot. It just never stopped long enough to get a single bolt. Had hail again on the back deck I could see with the spots on-this had been the year of hail here. Haven't seen this much in years. If you tilt your screen-I noticed that there is a large bolt coming from the cloud-partially obscured by the trees.

post-4135-0-72064400-1312250055.jpg

Oh yeah, some great clouds out there on this fine summers evening. I just sent a text to the guy with the photos and he promised to email them to me tonight. I should have them in here by Tue morning at the latest.

Fail. I gotta go smack this guy around a bit in the office today, I'll get them sooner or later :bike:

Yeah, Rob lets us know if the HV boyz need to pay a vist to Main St :lol:

Yeah, bring some paper towels to wipe up the blood...

No, I can't back any of that up. The kid apoligized and said that he would do it today. One of his hobbies is photography and he mentioned putting his mark on the photos but that he has no problem with me sharing them...blah, blah, blah.

As for the tormado path, I took two rides along Craigville Road yesterday....WOW! I recommend all the locals to drive through there if you get the chance. As Tom can attest, there are hundreds of trees damaged and destroyed. I'm amazed that there were not any deaths to be honest because Craigville can be a busy road during the rush hours and it's clear there were dozens of trees that fell across the road Friday evening. There has to be stories of people driving along there as it came trough, I can only image what it must have been like, and getting stuck with trees across the road in front and behind them. It really is amazing to see mature, decent sized, trees twisted right off 20-30 feet above the ground. One thing I noticed on my second ride was the smell of fresh wood in the air, I wasn't expecting that although it makes perfect sense with so many trees destroyed.

View of the storm from the harness track in Goshen.

rgynow.jpg

View from Park Place.

24y9r3o.jpg

View from the corner of 207, Scotchtown, and Craigsville. It's hard to say from one photo, so it can't be confirmed but I think that I could see the start of it in this shot. This guy was just ahead of the tornado on Craigsville, he's really lucky he didn't run into it!

2vs0o4m.jpg

These next three were taken from a strip mall along Route 208 near Merriwold. It's a straight line from the path that TJ posted over the weekend to this spot along 208. The guy said that the cloud was rotating at this point (too bad he didn't get video of that...)

2iuusll.jpg

16gwvti.jpg

fz7rte.jpg

Thank to Rob and the photog for posting the pictures :thumbsup:

The black SUV in the third pic looks like me but I think I was already in the Village when this pic was taken.

My theory is the tornado was lowering and lifting back upstarting at Rt 207 and Salesian, crossed Craigville near the town line, skimmed thru Hambletonian Park crossed back over Craigville east of Yankee Maid Lane,thru the woods to Coleman where it touched down and stayed down on the grounduntil it lifted by Johnson Farm and Craigville. Luckily, the area where it stayed on the ground is mostly woods and fields.

I read that some tree damage occured on Sara Wells Trail as well but I didn't see it Saturday.

Yeah, bring some paper towels to wipe up the blood...

No, I can't back any of that up. The kid apoligized and said that he would do it today. One of his hobbies is photography and he mentioned putting his mark on the photos but that he has no problem with me sharing them...blah, blah, blah.

As for the tormado path, I took two rides along Craigville Road yesterday....WOW! I recommend all the locals to drive through there if you get the chance. As Tom can attest, there are hundreds of trees damaged and destroyed. I'm amazed that there were not any deaths to be honest because Craigville can be a busy road during the rush hours and it's clear there were dozens of trees that fell across the road Friday evening. There has to be stories of people driving along there as it came trough, I can only image what it must have been like, and getting stuck with trees across the road in front and behind them. It really is amazing to see mature, decent sized, trees twisted right off 20-30 feet above the ground. One thing I noticed on my second ride was the smell of fresh wood in the air, I wasn't expecting that although it makes perfect sense with so many trees destroyed.

The tree destruction path is remarkable. This is the first tornado where I could personally see the damage and the ground path, some of the things that struck me is the erratic course changes they can make, turning 90 degrees on a dime and the lifting and lowering or "bouncing" of the vortex. I am convinced my theoretical path I posted above has merit. A very cool experience especially since no one was hurt or suffered major property damage.

I agree with Rob, while this was only a humble EF-1 tornado,any locals in to severe weather should make it a point to check out CraigvilleRd, Coleman Rd and Hasbrouck Rd near Craigville, this doesn't occur much around here it would be ashame to miss it.

a

Found this on YouTube, shot from BOCES parking lot. IDK, this kind of looks like scud and the sky looks too bright to me. I wish the person would have moved to change perspective when it went behind the small tree. I remember it being extremely dark and torrential rain occurring at the time it hit.

Found this on YouTube, shot from BOCES parking lot. IDK, this kind of looks like scud and the sky looks too bright to me. I wish the person would have moved to change perspective when it went behind the small tree. I remember it being extremely dark and torrential rain occurring at the time it hit.

I agree with you, I don't think that's it. We can't say for sure but the rain wrapped theory seems reasonable to me. Also BOCES is a decent hike from where it hit and it just doesn't seem to line up but we'll likely never know for sure.

I agree with you, I don't think that's it. We can't say for sure but the rain wrapped theory seems reasonable to me. Also BOCES is a decent hike from where it hit and it just doesn't seem to line up but we'll likely never know for sure.

What IS missing from this video is the crazy C2G that occured along with the torrential rain at the time the vortex hit, I think we can rule this video out, most likely pre or post storm scud

What IS missing from this video is the crazy C2G that occured along with the torrential rain at the time the vortex hit, I think we can rule this video out, most likely pre or post storm scud

I've heard this from other people that were close by at the time too. Even from my vantage point at the time, which was the Mechainicstown and Crystal Run area I could see a good amount of cloud to ground lightning.

Archived