Straight 8 cucumber

Husky cherry red toms

Juliet toms

early girl 50 days toms

Mountain pride toms

Parks whopper toms

Ab Lincoln toms

Jack o lantern pumpkin

Abraham Lincoln's?? I had to google that I never heard of them. Sounds like a good heirloom, where did you get them? Seeds or transplants?

Transplant from Lowes. I got it since it's the 150th anniversary of the Cival War, lol.

i'll keep my eye out for it, I want to try it

Some storms popping east of BGM along the front, idk if they'll make it to the valley area

Speaking of deer, Sams has fert/deer repellant combo in a large bag for around $20. You apply it with a spreader and create a perimeter around the vegetation you want to protect. I tried it a few weeks ago, so far so good but difficult to judge whether it’s because of this stuff working or the deer have been busy elsewhere eating someone else’s garden. They have been around the house, just not eating anything in the protection zone. What are you growing this year? I had a bumper crop of peppers last year, still working on the frozen ones and have 6 more jars of hot sauce left. Tomatoes were a disappointment.

I have this year

Sweet Banana Pepper

Hot Banana Pepper

Jalapeno

Habanero

Parks Whopper

Big Beef

Pink Brandywine

You have a lot more than me, I went real basic this year:

Straight 8 cucumber

Husky cherry red toms

Juliet toms

early girl 50 days toms

Mountain pride toms

Parks whopper toms

Ab Lincoln toms

Jack o lantern pumpkin

I've got a pretty big garden here in Dobbs Ferry this year...I'll post lots of pictures for you guys tomorrow but here's a list of some of the stuff I'm growing:

Dr. Wyche's Yellow heirloom tomato

Moonglow heirloom tomato

Mr. Stripey heirloom tomato

Lemon Boy hybrid tomato

Bonnie Grape hybrid tomato

Patio hybrid tomato

Green Zebra hybrid tomato

Marina de Chioggia heirloom squash

Cheyenne Bush Pumpkin heirloom squash

Black Beauty Zucchini

Yellow hybrid summer squash

Early Fortune cucumber

Black Beauty hybrid eggplant

White hybrid eggplant

Ichabin/Japanese eggplant

King of the North heirloom red pepper

Jalapeno traveler heirloom hot pepper

Ancho heirloom pepper

Red chili hybrid pepper

Anaheim hybrid pepper

Watermelons

Honeydew melon

Amish heirloom melon

Apollo Arugula

Lettuce mix (red, green, oakleaf)

Giant Noble Spinach

Chard

Goldrush yellow string bean

Tenderpick green string bean

Golden Sweet Pea

Pea Progress 9

Small quantities of everything, but here are a few older pictures, hope you like them...will post an update soon, hopefully tomorrow:

Cauliflower in late April:

Beefsteak about 10 days ago:

Pineapple sage in its younger days:

Golden peas, 10 days ago:

Eggplant, about 2 weeks ago:

Hey Zuck, you take the prize for the garden. I just don't have the patience or the room to grow that much. I'm guessing that your whole yard is fenced in or just a large gearden area?

Tjay, I'll look for the deer repellant. The last thing I tried was dried fox and coyote urine but that didn't seem to have much affect. The only thing that I've found to work for the past few years is the Repels All spray. While it doesn't last all season it doesn last through a few rainfalls, I just sprayed all of my lily buds a few days ago.

A tip that has worked for me to keep the groundhogs out of the garden is to let the grass grow tall around the fence so that the groundhogs can't see into the garden. I know it sounds wacky but a few years ago I had a real problem with groundhogs getting in and it was the first year I weedwhacked around the garden fence line. That fall I added fencing down into the ground about a foot and then flared out the bottom of the fence at a right angle, about 6", away from the garden. The following year I left about a 6" strip of grass around the fence line and just let it go all season and my rodent friend didn't even try to get into the garden for the past three seasons. I guess I didn't really need to dig that trench for the fence in the ground after all :axe: but it's there if the groundhog and his family now try to get in.

Zuck, have you grown Mr. Stripy before? How is the yield?

Rob, your grass suggestion makes sense to me. For a real tech low deer replant, try using dial, irish spring or safeguard bar soap, shave off very thin slices and put it all in and around your garden. Lasts a few weeks and a few rain storms.

Was super busy this past week-didn't get a chance to post about the storm that went through Southern Dutchess on the 9th. Yeah-we had another round of hail, number 2 for the year-dime sized for the most part-camera wasn't around this time to take shots. East of me in Hopewell Junction-they got some golf ball sized hail. Quite a few trees down-a friend had one land on his Mom's porch and the neighor's canoe landed in her driveway. :) The first storm that came through at 4pm had a lot of lighting, the second around 4:30 had the hail. Interesting start to June for sure.

Was super busy this past week-didn't get a chance to post about the storm that went through Southern Dutchess on the 9th. Yeah-we had another round of hail, number 2 for the year-dime sized for the most part-camera wasn't around this time to take shots. East of me in Hopewell Junction-they got some golf ball sized hail. Quite a few trees down-a friend had one land on his Mom's porch and the neighor's canoe landed in her driveway. :) The first storm that came through at 4pm had a lot of lighting, the second around 4:30 had the hail. Interesting start to June for sure.

You've seen 2 good hail storms so far and its only June. That’s damn good for here. I'm jealous. Perfect sleeping weather last night, temps in the 50's.

You've seen 2 good hail storms so far and its only June. That’s damn good for here. I'm jealous. Perfect sleeping weather last night, temps in the 50's.

A friend of mine just got back from vacation, her car was parked at Stewart while she was gone and it got nailed, she has to take it into the shop to get at least half a dozen good sized dents out. I heard that the Newburgh Auto Auction got hit bad as well with many vehicles there suffering damage from the hail.

I have never done Mr. Stripey before so unfortunately can't answer yield questions. My main garden has a 6-foot deer fence around it, but the other stuff is unprotected though strategically placed. Here is the photo update that I promised, garden moving along nicely, just harvested about 1/4 pound mixed greens and 3 dozen peas for dinner tonight. Today's shots:

Tomatoes, mostly beefsteaks and Early Girls (earliest in the season I've had so many fruits on the vines):

Eggplant emerging from withered flower, also seems early:

White Wonder cauliflower:

Pineapple sage:

Marina de Chioggia squash with basil and oregano:

Corn:

Green beans, some yellow beans:

The deer are really living amongst humans down in Dobbs Ferry huh... I have a cousin in Dobbs Ferry and noticed that he posted a pic of a deer that he took (on facebook) a couple days ago.

I never had an eggplant before late July here...ran out of space this year and haven't planted any. I need to expand the garden..maybe in 2012. My pumpkins and buttercup squash are up nicely and each have several of their mature leaves now and taking off. My tomatoes are 8 to 10 inches tall, but no fruit yet.

My main wildlife nemesis here are rabbits. LOL ...we are like a rabbit sanctuary. I don't have as much trouble with deer here I think because they have so much free range in the fields, etc. and simply don't need to feed close to us humans.

I have never done Mr. Stripey before so unfortunately can't answer yield questions. My main garden has a 6-foot deer fence around it, but the other stuff is unprotected though strategically placed. Here is the photo update that I promised, garden moving along nicely, just harvested about 1/4 pound mixed greens and 3 dozen peas for dinner tonight. Today's shots:

Tomatoes, mostly beefsteaks and Early Girls (earliest in the season I've had so many fruits on the vines):

Eggplant emerging from withered flower, also seems early:

White Wonder cauliflower:

Pineapple sage:

Marina de Chioggia squash with basil and oregano:

Corn:

Green beans, some yellow beans:

I picked up another .73" today so after weeks of nothing I've now had a little over 2" of rain in the past week. The grass will be growing like crazy again.

Hey, whats this?? We're talking about summer gardens here, do you think this is some kind of weather forum? :lol:

My rain gauge didnt make it thru the winter and I haven't replaced it yet.

The deer are really living amongst humans down in Dobbs Ferry huh... I have a cousin in Dobbs Ferry and noticed that he posted a pic of a deer that he took (on facebook) a couple days ago.

I never had an eggplant before late July here...ran out of space this year and haven't planted any. I need to expand the garden..maybe in 2012. My pumpkins and buttercup squash are up nicely and each have several of their mature leaves now and taking off. My tomatoes are 8 to 10 inches tall, but no fruit yet.

My main wildlife nemesis here are rabbits. LOL ...we are like a rabbit sanctuary. I don't have as much trouble with deer here I think because they have so much free range in the fields, etc. and simply don't need to feed close to us humans.

I just had some of my cucumber vines chomped by deer.

wow, that is early. I grew some early varieties for a few years and I never had greenies until mid - late June. Keep us updated on Mr Stripey, I am interested to know what you think about it.

Interestig article

"In the wake of the April 27 tornadoes, veteran television meteorologist James Spann is questioning whether too frequent tornado warnings are causing people to ignore them.

'

http://blog.al.com/s...umber_of_f.html

I posted this in SNE, but I'll re-post here since since we are closer to the front line here in ENY:

As long as we are talking trees...look out for the Emerald Ash Borer. It has been spotted in the Mid Hudson Valley now.

http://readme.readmedia.com/DEC-Announces-Emerald-Ash-Borer-Awareness-Week/2381467

It's gonna be sad if my one good shade tree is wiped out, but there is a pesticide treatment that can be used for some individual trees. Gotta look into it....

I posted this in SNE, but I'll re-post here since since we are closer to the front line here in ENY:

As long as we are talking trees...look out for the Emerald Ash Borer. It has been spotted in the Mid Hudson Valley now.

http://readme.readme...ss-Week/2381467

It's gonna be sad if my one good shade tree is wiped out, but there is a pesticide treatment that can be used for some individual trees. Gotta look into it....

Thanks rick. I had to google ash trees to see if I had any :axe: , I might have one. It matches this picture of the leaves. These leaf segments as a whole just fall off the tree in mass at the first frost in the fall

e9cec3de-b328-5f42-bffa-0259c8cb576e.preview-300.jpg

That was fun to watch develop. The shot below was from a little earier. The main cell was over Otisville and some heavy rain SW of Warwick. Those two pieces redeveloped justto the SW of Goshen village and went bonkers for 15 minutes. :thumbsup:

post-463-0-93879000-1308337520.png

Archived