Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The renegade super cells over OC this afternoon may have lessened the chances of severe later today, east of the Hudson and CT should watch the OC cells as they move NE. They pounded MGJ with hail today, no official reports yet but I have heard from people reporting golf ball size hail and car damage.

The renegade cells over OC this afternoon may have lessened the chances of severe later today, east of the Hudson and CT should watch the OC cells as they move NE. They pounded MGJ with hail today, no official reports yet but I have heard from people reporting golf ball size hail and car damage.

Thats what I am afraid of. That storm just grazed me to the north. I just hope we don't get in the screw zone.....I need some rain!

Hey Guys, nice to see you !

Wild ride on the thruway tonight between Suffern and Harriman. strong winds, heavy rain, lots of C to G lightning hitting the hills around the road.

A storm is blowing up around me now, lots of very close lightning and thunder here

What a mess.

I wonder why OKX didn’t go with a tornado warning for Newburgh with two funnels spotted. SRV isn't reliable as they would like because of the distance from the radar site. I recall OKX stated at one of the training sessions that they would issue a tornado warning if a spotter reported a funnel cloud in Orange because of the radar distance issue. Perhaps the report wasn't filed until after the storm moved on.

I can't say for sure what I saw was a funnel cloud. I saw a cloud of interest let's say in which both my bro and I saw what looked like some rotation. Before I could determine for sure what it was it was gone, I saw it for maybe a minute or so total. My wife glanced at the clock at this this time and it was 4:36pm. In hindsight though it was probably above New Windsor and not Newburgh when I saw this, whatever it was, I can't be sure.

I can't say for sure what I saw was a funnel cloud. I saw a cloud of interest let's say in which both my bro and I saw what looked like some rotation. Before I could determine for sure what it was it was gone, I saw it for maybe a minute or so total. My wife glanced at the clock at this this time and it was 4:36pm. In hindsight though it was probably above New Windsor and not Newburgh when I saw this, whatever it was, I can't be sure.

Ch7 news 5am this morning, Bill Evans showed video from yesterday of mammatus over New City, that storm tracked across the river and popped a funnel over Tarrytown a short while later. I was tracking the super cells in orange yesterday that hit the MGJ and SWF area. The VIL scans were maxed out at 80 kg, the top of the scale. I use VIL and BR to predict hail instead of the radar software generated hail and size indicators. 80 kg is what I'd see tracking a plains supercell and is rare for the NE. I checked the SRV scans, since I didn't see anything of note. I didn’t check them much as the storms tracked west to the Newburgh area.:axe:

post-463-0-47645600-1307707715.png

Nice pic Rob!!

A buddy in Montgomery Village told me the cars on his block were ripped with hail, some are in the body shop for repair. He had to clear his roof of tree debris. The damage in the village is under reported I think.

I thought I could sneak it in :bike:

that sounds like my Friday night, lol!

As for the fence, yeah if it wasn't for the 5 foot tall fence, plus 1 foot in the ground and 6 inches lateral around my veg garden I simply wouldnt have one thanks to the deer and groundhogs.

I'll take some rain this weekend, only picked up about .25" on Thu though I'm hoping to get a mowing in today maybe.

that sounds like my Friday night, lol!

As for the fence, yeah if it wasn't for the 5 foot tall fence, plus 1 foot in the ground and 6 inches lateral around my veg garden I simply wouldnt have one thanks to the deer and groundhogs.

I'll take some rain this weekend, only picked up about .25" on Thu though I'm hoping to get a mowing in today maybe.

Speaking of deer, Sams has fert/deer repellant combo in a large bag for around $20. You apply it with a spreader and create a perimeter around the vegetation you want to protect. I tried it a few weeks ago, so far so good but difficult to judge whether it’s because of this stuff working or the deer have been busy elsewhere eating someone else’s garden. They have been around the house, just not eating anything in the protection zone. What are you growing this year? I had a bumper crop of peppers last year, still working on the frozen ones and have 6 more jars of hot sauce left. Tomatoes were a disappointment.

I have this year

Sweet Banana Pepper

Hot Banana Pepper

Jalapeno

Habanero

Parks Whopper

Big Beef

Pink Brandywine

Archived