12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
First heat wave of 2011 obs/disco -- smashes many records

Ian

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's even up to 82-83 up at Davis, WV. That's about as hot as it gets up there.

Yeah, that is pretty impressive! I was checking some of the readings from the higher elevations. Bluefield (WV) Mercer County Airport, at nearly 3000', reached 90 today. It rarely gets above 90 there -- last summer had several, but the majority of summers seem to top out in the high 80s.

This was the earliest occurrence of 90+ on record. In fact, the previous earliest 90+ reading wasn't until June 18! Records at the airport there date to the late 50s.

Evidently the Davis VP's have a high DP bias. Mine topped out at 78 just before noon. Am wondering if my lawn location near a garden is helping that too. And just like the hot days last summer, DCA was exactly 5 degrees warmer than my yard.

According to the Davis VP, High was 98.2 with a suspicious 110 degree heat index reading. The station is in the shade though.

Now lets see that Derechio :P

The sea breeze boundary doesn't want to come east looks like.

Evidently the Davis VP's have a high DP bias. Mine topped out at 78 just before noon. Am wondering if my lawn location near a garden is helping that too. And just like the hot days last summer, DCA was exactly 5 degrees warmer than my yard.

I had that problem with the Davis VP2. After calibrating it with a second hygrometer, I found that I had to offset the RH by adjusting it down about 12% in the summer and it's seemed pretty accurate since then. My station is in the center of a large (4 acre) lawn with corn fields all around.

92 here for the high for the second day in a row. HI briefly reached 101.

Mine seems to read 1 or 2 higher on the DP too, but I attribute that to the lawn and nearby trees, and is reality at my location. My DP also fluctuates like a heart beat monitor +/- 3-5 degrees during the day. I have the fan in my unit too.

I just checked and all the PWS's in my area have the same DP as mine or within 1 degree. Most of them are Davis stations so I don't know.

My highest reading today was 93.5, with a heat index of 107.

Yeah, that is pretty impressive! I was checking some of the readings from the higher elevations. Bluefield (WV) Mercer County Airport, at nearly 3000', reached 90 today. It rarely gets above 90 there -- last summer had several, but the majority of summers seem to top out in the high 80s.

This was the earliest occurrence of 90+ on record. In fact, the previous earliest 90+ reading wasn't until June 18! Records at the airport there date to the late 50s.

I believe the Bluefield Chamber of Commerce gives out free lemonade whenever the temp hits 90 or above. I wonder if they were ready for it today....

I believe the Bluefield Chamber of Commerce gives out free lemonade whenever the temp hits 90 or above. I wonder if they were ready for it today....

I was thinking the same thing. LOL. Might have been cut out due to budget strains.

Just an ob, swamp ass hot out there. 84 now at 930pm

south wind is screwing us.. this is one of those days howard would complain about. i bet we'll switch west for a time early afternoon and get one ob of like 97.

This. I went out a little bit ago... very hot and hazy. 98/69 at 2pm

BWI 97, which I believe ties today's record

iad and bwi have at least ties.. dca should join shortly.

Archived